1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best FPS I've ever played.

Discussion in 'Playground' started by TheShizzo, Sep 2, 2006.

1. TheShizzo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Half-Life 2. I just got this game recently and I am blown away by the engine this game runs on. The physics are great, the guns are wicked, everything about this game is insane! If you're lookin for a great FPS try the HL2 demo, that's what I did and bought the game the next day!

2. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Yup, best FPS ever, just bought it and play it at least 2 hours/day. The game is not just shooting and has an interesting story. There's always something new in every 'chapter' and it makes you feel sooo good when you've made it to the next one.

People who haven't got it yet, buy it, NOW!

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I agree, it's an excellent game. Far Cry is a great game, too...and if it weren't for the absolutely horrible voice acting, it'd almost rank higher than HL2 for me.

4. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

HL2 got old too fast for me though. It wasn't long enough, and I don't find it very re-playable. It's awesome, I admit, but only once.

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Really liked of it myself. Good atmosphere, solid mechanics, and a great mix of puzzles and action seen too rarely nowdays. Most games just go for the "Action-packed team-shooter!" -cliché. Shame that games like Half Life are too few and far between...

But yes; it does have some faults too. Played it through three times and the most obvious one is the lack of different enemies. Really, combine soldiers get rather boring by the time you finish Highway 13 and are outright tedious at the Citadel.

Second, smaller problem is the fact that only some of the weapons are actually useful. I.e: progressing-weapons syndrome. Start from weak pea-shooters, progress to stronger ones with very limited ammo. Pisses me to no end when that magnum is always either fully stacked or completely out-of-ammo.

Then there is the sniper-crossbow. You could think that the arrows are flying in tar, because that's how slowly they fly. Plus, most of the AI enemies always seek cover the moment you dig it out. :rolleyes:

Wish Valve would develope the original game too with each new Episode coming out. These faults could be easily fixed if they just took the time.

6. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I'm not a big fan of FPS, but I played lots of them: Doom, 2 and 3; Duke Nukem; C&C Renegade; some of the WW2 FPS around (BiA, RtC Wolfenstein, and some others) but the best have to be FEAR, I even bought a new video card just to see all its potential and I must say that it's awesome. I have HL2 Episode 1 but is on stand by, I have to finish FEAR first ;)

7. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I never liked Half-Life when I played it. A colleague got HL2, and from playing it for a short time I can't say I care to get it and play it. Sure it's got a good engine and good graphics, but the game failed to draw me in.

8. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I don't do a lot of FPS, but I found Unreal Tournament to be my favourite. I like the competition aspect as opposed to the mission based themes.

Serious Sam was fun too.

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

That one where you have to shoot the shambling zombies as they stagger towards you. House of the Dead or something? You had to aim the gun off screen to reload.

10. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

None. Why? I can't play with WASD.

I like watching Deus Ex and DX 2.

11. Stardust Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I'm not really keen on FPS games but I actually think that HL2 is a gear game. With it's fantastic atmosphere and story.

I hope that Duke Nukem Forever be launched soon, it will/must be the best FPS ever (if it will ever be a release). :p

12. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    The House of the Dead was hysterical :lol:

Unreal Tournament is excellent (so was Unreal). Serious Sam is a lot of fun, though the second one gets ridiculous.

13. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Best FPS I've played? System Shock 2...hands down.

HL2 is oookay...I didn't find it interesting enough to actually finish the game..which is why renting it instead of buying it was a GOOD thing...

Puzzles, shooting, running around in weird vehicles...all good. But I felt it tried to accomplish too much and didn't really concentrate on the point of doing all this running around and shooting and what not...

I know, I know...its stupid to expect something of this kind from a FPS and compared to other FPS' out there, HL2 is great...but compared to System Shock 2? Ehhh...not good enough.

14. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Unreal Tournament 2006 stole my heart. Great fun, big explosions, vehicles and an active community.

But for single player Half-Life 2 was great or even the Max Payne games (although not really a FPS it was very similar to one).

15. Gnarfflinger

Is Assault back in UT 2006? I loved that in the original UT...

That and Capture the Flag. Deathmatch was cool too.

16. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Doom 3 w/Resurrection of Evil.

Enough said.

17. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Yes, Gnaff, they have assault and sometimes its assault - with tanks! Rawr!

18. Gnarfflinger

Must...buy...game...

19. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

House of the Dead. The rest is too complicated.

20. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

it would be half-life2/Counter Strike: source for me...I waste a good bit of my time playing source..

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.