1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best Game of 2006?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Chandos the Red, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Firing Squad has already posted its best 5 Games of 2006. And the winner is -- Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

I have to admit, I only played a few games this year, but the few I played, I really liked: Elder Scrolls, Neverwinter Nights 2 and Heroes V. Heroes V was the most disappointing and not as good as the older versions, but was still pretty good. I think most of you would agree that NW2 and ES IV were quite a bit better than Heroes V. Yet, I'd be more inclinded to pick NW2 as the best of '06, but just by the slightest of margins. But that's just me.

http://www.firingsquad.com/features/top_5_games_2006/page3.asp

Still wanting to play: Company of Heroes, Medieval II: Total War and Gothic 3...maybe next year....

2. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

A difficult choice this one, not because there were many good games but because there really were not any. But... for me, the best game award goes to The Guild 2 ("Medieval life simulation with overwhelming 3D graphics. Unique blend of RPG, strategy and business simulation.") by 4Head Studios and released by JoWood (Aspyr in NA). It is the sequel to Europa 1400: The Guild.

The only downside with The Guild 2 is that it was extremely buggy, it did not even run on my computer before the first patch. It is playable now, the next patch should finally fix it to a good level.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I have played no new games in 2006.

4. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Guess Oblivion was a acceptable game after modding, but it did get rather repetitive after a while, especially with the default settings. The treasures were rather unrewarding and always the same, the enemies got progressively tougher to the point of frustrating, and the difficulty-scaling made all areas the same too. The engine worked swell, though.

Galactic Civilizations 2 was okay, me thinks, but the single-player AI is still pretty annoying (cheats). Did not test it online, but I'm pretty sure most of the diplomacy/culture/whatnot flies out of the window there...

Have to strongly disagree with place #5. By what I have tested, back when the Ship was still in beta, it was simply too fast-paced for any of the features to be noticeable. Unless you had to get to the toilet, in which case you always came too late.

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Medieval 2 should have waaalked it.

6. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

What about Battle for Middle Earth II and Star War's Empire at War, are they any good? Haven't had chance to play them yet.

7. BlckDeth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

I'd go with Company of Heroes as my choice for Game of the Year. Oblivion was great and all [on the 360], but for some reason it gave me that if games had souls, this one in particular would be an empty husk.

8. lwelyk Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

I didn't play to many NEW ones. Got a lot of old ones like Zork and Gabriel Knight but I think Zelda, is the best NEW game of the year.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  9. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Oblivion was bound to be popular, but I didn't expect it to be No1. Who decides these "Game of the Year" things anyway? :hmm:

10. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

Oblivion for my #1. Awesome game, especially modded.

I'd be content with Medieval 2 at #1 also.

11. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Ditto!

12. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Gametunnel has the indie games of the year up: http://www.gametunnel.com/cat_goty.php

Of these I've played a few demos and am setting about downloading a heap more of them. I may or may not get around to buying some - Defcon: Everybody Dies looks very attractive though...

I haven't played any new mainstream games this year

13. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Football Manager 2007 by a longshot.

14. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I'd strongly recommend playing the demo before buying it; it isn't for everyone.

Nor is it that good. If you want it, wait for a cheap gold edition containing the original and the forces of corruption add-on

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.