1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best Party Compilation

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by geecato, Sep 18, 2001.

1. geecato Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Okay right herez the deal. I have played this game loads of times but always got bored and never completed it. Could someone twll me the best party compilation so I can work it up from the start. I am a fighter. I want a mage (don't know which one) cleric or druid( don't know which one) theif(don't know which one) and something esle (don't know which one)

[Go read the Rules/FAQ like you were supposed to when you joined the boards. Make your topics descriptive next time, not just some generic Need Help text.] -Tal

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited September 18, 2001).]

2. Judas Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

It's really up to your playing style... everyone chooses totally different parties, and just about any combination will make it through the game.

The first choice you have to make is whether to have a good, evil, or mixed party. I prefer a mixed party, myself, and my favourite party so far has been:

Caedes (DC Berserker / Thief)
    Jaheira
    Valygar
    Edwin
    Haer Dalis
    Jan

Of course, this is probably someone else's nightmare party. The only hint I can offer you is: try to keep your party balanced. Make sure you have a decent thief. Make sure you have a main caster, and preferably a support caster. I, personally, don't think clerics are crucial, but they'll make the beginning of the game easier. Fill the rest up with whatever you want (fighters, for example).

3. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] And here is mine:

Cain: undead hunter
    Mazzy
    Jaheira
    Anomen
    Nalia
    Imoen

And my favorite party ever was:

Methos: sorcerer
    Minsc
    Mazzy
    Viconia
    Valygar
    Jan Jansen

As you can see I always take Mazzy. She is the perfect Missile unit (short bow of gesen), and she is also a very good tank(short sword)

[This message has been edited by TIN_MAN (edited September 18, 2001).]

4. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

You got bored, eh? I didn't think that was possible...

Is your fighter evil? Good? It might be good to know that.
    Anyway I'll list an evil party and a good one. These are just my suggestions, the choice is yours.

Evil:

Mage: Edwin (the BEST spellcaster!)
    Cleric: Viconia (great cleric with high wisdom, lacks only in strength.)
    Something else 1: Korgan (one of the best fighters, great with axes and hammers.)
    Something else 2: Haer'dalis (an all-round guy, limited skills in magic, battle and thievery. And can identify most things with his high lore.)
    Something else 3: Jan Jansen (great thief, not a bad mage.)

You might want to switch Jan for Yoshi he's too annoying or you want a better backstabber.

Good:

Mage: Nalia or Aerie (Nalia if you want thieving skills, Aerie if you want cleric spells.)
    Cleric: Anomen (good cleric despite his low wisdom, good fighter as well.)
    Something else 1: Jan (as above)
    Something else 2: Valygar (backstabber, archer and a generally good warrior.)
    Something else 3: Keldorn (can use a certain sword, can dispel magic and cast true sight)

Again you might want to have Yoshi instead of Jan. Also, Imoen might be a good choice as a mage later on.

5. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I took me (Sorcerer), with Keldorn, Mazzy, Jaheira, Aerie, and Imoen on my best time through. 3 tanks, 3 mages, 2 clerics, and a thief.

A good party should have at least 2 tanks or front-line fighters (three is better). You need at least one mage, but two is better. You need no more than one cleric, and one thief. Here are my recommendations, in (obviously) MY order of preference:

FIGHTERS:
    Keldorn (for Carsomyr and his inquisitor abilities), Mazzy (she's a great sniper and a good tank), Jaheira (a good backup fighter, great with Ironskins and her other Druid spells), Valygar (great dual-weilding katanas), and Minsc (good fighter, TERRIBLE voice!! Take him if you can stand him) for a good-aligned party. Korgan is evil, but with gauntlets of dexterity is possibly the best tank in the game. If you are playing with an evil-only party, there is definitely a shortage of good fighter-types.

MAGES:
    Edwin is a great mage (again, if you can stand his voice), but he also needs some gauntlets of dexterity. The nice thing is that he gets bonus spells. Imoen is a great backup mage (and come on, can you REALLY leave your sister behind in that creepy Spellhold place? You can? ......). Jan's only benefit is that he is multiclass, and keeps gaining thief skills. Nalia is terrible (she gets few spells compared to Edwin), and as a thief she's nonexistent.

CLERICS:
    Viconia is the only pure cleric in the game, and, again, a good one. She's evil, though. Actually, she poses very few problems to good-aligned parties as long as your reputation doesn't exceed 18. Jaheira gets druid spells, and is good if you need a backup fighter. Aerie is great because she gets mage spells, too (but keep her in the back, she's quite fragile). Anomen isn't even worth considering, unless you want his romance BAD.

SOMETHING ELSE:
    Haer'dalis makes a great archer, a good backup mage, and an ok backup tank. Plus he picks pockets.

6. Judas Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Don't forget that the following combinations will have problems with eachother:

Keldorn & Viconia
    Minsc & Edwin
    Anomen & Aerie

By 'problems' I mean they will probably eventually try to kill eachother. I've heard that a good charisma will stop this from happening, though.

7. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

this is THE best party IMO, I used that and was a fighter myself :)

it rocks and got healing, tanks and spellpower for any situation. Brilliant allround party, and just because Jan's multiclass, he still rocks as a thief.

8. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Lok, I dunno who are you quoting, but that is it! Kickass!

geecato, take Lokken's party no matter your alignment!

9. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31

You'll get as many opinions on this as you will asking people who the best musicians in the world are, geecato. (-:

But I'm going to add a new spin to this: WHY did you get bored? Was it because combat was difficult and tedious, or because no one was talking to you very much? I got bored and restarted my first SoA game because I was playing a woman and no would would interact with me except Imoen, who soon disappeared. The game is much more interesting if you play a man, I'm sorry to say. If this is why you're bored, play a man and bring Jaheira, Aerie, and Viconia all along with you. They will all interact with each other and with you, you can pick which one your guy wants to go out with, and Jaheira also talks to people you meet on the street more than anyone else in the game. You can round that party out well with Jan (who you can get in the government district near Viconia) and Minsc. Both of those guys will wait patiently for you while you try out a new NPC, so you can put one or the other on hold while you attend to someone else's quests, then take them back.

If you were bored because combat irritated you, on the other hand, pick a party who is solid and doesn't take a lot of complexity to manage. Though Haerdalis is one of my favorite characters, you don't want him if you're bored with having to micromanage people in fights, and he's also rather hard to rescue. Keep Minsc, Jaheira, and Yoshimo, leave Aerie at the circus, and pick up Nalia and Anomen in the Copper Coronet. An easy party to put together, an easy one to manage in a fight, and an ideal balance of powers without having to get too tricky. Once you've figured out game mechanics enough to be less bored by the tactical aspect, you can play around with different NPCs. These aren't the best NPCs, but they're probably the easiest group to manage well without it becoming tedious.

10. Will Gems: 13/31

Veteran

Hows about this;

-Fighting PC (I personally like berserkers, barbarians and straight rangers best)
    -Mazzy
    -Anomen
    -Cernd
    -Edwin
    -Jan/Yoshimo -> Imoen

I'd say thats pretty nicely balanced. I've mentioned it before, but I first finished the game with Juan the conjurer, Korgan, Valygar, Viconia, Haer'Daelis and Imoen (after Yoshi got fragged by Firkragg). That worked just grand, especially after Vicky got enough experience to be able to heal everyone on her own.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited September 18, 2001).]

11. eveningdrive Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Well here's mine.

First time through:
    - Thrian Highwing,Kensai/Mage (imported from BG1, so he's just a 7th lvl kensai)
    - Keldorn (Carsomyr and his inquisitor abilities)
    - Minsc (I felt bad for him after loosing Dynaheir, and I had him in BG1)
    - Jaheira (okay, okay, so I'm sentimental...)
    - Anomen (because I needed a healer and didn't know any better):p
    - Yoshimo->Imoen (I sometimes switched to Jan)

Second party:
    - Spitbrittle, chaotic neutral elven wild mage (with the holy grail voices I downloaded from SP) :roll:
    - Viconia (heh. finally!)
    - Korgan
    - Haer'dalis
    - Cernd (reminds of that 80's Michael J. Fox movie, Teenwolf):)
    - Jan

There you go. Hope you don't get bored anymore. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.