1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best place/site to buy a comp?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by cotman68, May 30, 2001.

1. cotman68 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

any comments about the best place to buy a computer from? looking for quality components.. for gaming/video editing...

2. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

You can buy quality components in every good computerstore. Just look on a hardwaresite what good components are and what not. When you tell me what kinda computer you wanna have I can give some advice.

3. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

It would also help greatly to know what country you are in :)

4. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I also suggest you check out http://www.pricewatch.com/ they have up to date listings for all computer parts so you don't get ripped off. Good Luck!

5. cotman68 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

ahh.. man my post was vague..

more info:

I live in the western US

looking for a comp that can handle video editing and gaming

big questions:

AMD or Pentium ? pentium 4?

scsi harddrive important? that much faster?

motherboards? minumum power source?

video card recs?

looking to spend about 1000-1500$... I already have a very good monitor and printer

6. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

The AMD thunderbird is probably the most powerfull CPU all-round, Pentium 4 didn't do so well in the tests

about scsi, I dont know, I think I would rather have extra Gigabytes

7. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

I would advice A AMD Duron or Thunderbird. When you want to get real performance go for the 266 MHZ (mobo and memory 128 MB)

SCSI isn't really necessary for the IDE Disks are fast enough nowadays.

When you want real good video editing I advice A Gforce Quadro. WHen you just want good graphics in games etc. Go for a Geforce MX, Geforce 2, GEforce 2 GTS or Geforce Ultra or Geforce 3 (depends on how much money you want to spend on a videocard.

8. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Go for T-Bird and 256 mb ram (DDR, it costs but is twice as fast). Also you get about 75 gig of IDE and 20 gig of SCSI for the same price, so the choise is not hard.

[This message has been edited by Mollusken (edited May 31, 2001).]

9. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

But do you really wanna do professional video-editing or do you just need good graphics for gamning and watching divx?

10. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

For gaming, I doubt you need much more than a GeForce 2.

11. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Indeed... even a Geforce MX is good enough but not that fast as a Geforce 2.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.