1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best Shopkeeper to pickpocket?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Obad-Hai, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Obad-Hai Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hey I've decided to go and solo as a bounty hunter and I was wondering what are some good shopkeepers to pickpocket from? Any good items from these guys?

[ July 22, 2003, 13:12: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Kralizek Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Well, the obvious one would be Ribald in the Adventurer's Mart. You can pickpocket a most useful item for soloing characters from him :shake:

3. Serpent Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Trademeet is a good place. You can steal many magical items there (cloak of displacement, belt of inertial barrier and so on).

4. The Silver Bear Gems: 7/31

In theory...every shopkeeper that can be robbed IS a good target!! :thumb: But I agree that Trademeet really is a good place to use and abuse of your pickpocketing thief abilities!!! Oh...if you're looking for stealing some potions...just seek out Miss Cragmoon at the Bridge District!! I left her no single potion to sell... :evil:

5. Arian Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

While we're on the subject, what is a good item to abuse the trick of steal/sell/steal/sell? I was using rod of resurection but is there anything better? (powergaming a F/M/T, yes I roleplay some too, don't get into the moral implications ;) ) Also, can some shopkeepers just not be pickpocketed? I tried to steal from the spell shop in Promenade for a lot of easy/early exp and I had around 125-150 pickpocket (don't remember) and I could steal one scroll, any past that I would fail every time. Happened quite a bit throughout the game, that was the most potential profit that I failed to get though. Must...swindle...townspeople....

6. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

"Well, the obvious one would be Ribald in the Adventurer's Mart. You can pickpocket a most useful item for soloing characters from him"

Since when can you pickpocket Ribald?

7. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

You can't steal his inventory but you can pick his pocket just like you would anyone else.

8. Obad-Hai Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hey ya I pick pocketed Ribald! Nice item. But when I steal things from people (shopkeepers) and try to sell it, it says that he doesn't accepted stolen goods or something like that. What's up with that?

9. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Shopkeepers in Amn have the "mystic" ability to detect stolen goods. You will have to find one of the fences in order to sell your stolen items. If I remember correctly, if the options when talking to a vendor include an option to question whether or not the goods are stolen then that vendor will buy stolen gods.

10. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

And Ribald actually got nice items on his person?
    Never struck me to try pickpocketing him that way... Gotta start up a game now, darnit I was heading for bed... Wellwell, another 10 minutes cant hurt =)

11. The Silver Bear Gems: 7/31

Are you saying you can have all of the items he sells just by pickpocketing him?? Wow!! I've never tried this...but I'm gonna do it right now!!

12. Nocturnal Nomad Gems: 7/31

No, you can only pickpocket the item he's holding, just like a normal shopkeeper. You can't pickpocket his shop inventory.

13. Chevalier Mal Fet Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

If you want a nice target, go for the weapon store in the promenade. There is a shop there where they sell arrows of dispel. Those are very, very expensive. Good to sell to fences or just use.

I like the fence down in the sewers under the Temple District. He has some nice potions and such on him, and if you're into stupid exploitation you can steal, sell, steal, sell until you're rich.

14. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

The guy in the Copper Corronet!
    I find selling and stealing back 4 wands at a time will get you 10 000Gp per shot. You can find a fece outside Jans house in the Slums at night

15. bigdndfan Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well make sure you have well over 100% pick pocket (and have saved your game beforehand), but you can steal from the Thieves's Guild.

And of course they will buy stolen goods.

Sell back to them the stuff you just stole from them.

16. Hardcase Von Crudd Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

There are two guys in Waukeens Promenade (sp?) who have lots of scrolls. Get your thieving ability up to around 175% with potions of thievery and you can rob both of them blind.

There are too many scrolls to carry, so I dump them into nearby 'containers' (tables, chests, etc.) and keep going back to steal more scrolls before the potions wear off. It takes more than ten trips to completely clean out both shopkeepers. Then you can start learning spells from the scrolls you've stolen.

A potion of genius allows your wizard to learn more than the 18 spell maximum. You can learn all the spells and still have lots of duplicate scrolls left over for zapping at people. Learning all those spells means you get lots of experience points.

The beauty with this is that you can do it early in the game to get levels quickly and your mage gets a huge spell selection.

17. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Pickpocket or steal from?

IIRC, the only good one to pickpocket is Ribald with his Ring of the Regeneration.

Good ones to steal from are ones where you like their items. Some are near impossible to rob, though.

18. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Too bad the fences don't have the mystic ability to recognise the stuff you stole from them...

Anyway, the only shopkeeper I know that is worth pickpocketing, is Ribald in the Adventurer's Mart. The guy I steal the most from is some vendor in Trademeet after you did the missions there (belt of inertial barrier...).
    Furthermore, I've found that the only shopkeepers that actually have nice stuff, can't be stolen from.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.