1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG: Dark Alliance better than FFX?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Sirdan, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Sirdan Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Well, that is a question from my little brother ;).

He has a PS2 and wants to buy a RPG. What should he buy and why: BG: Dark Alliance or FFX? And what is your opinion on Dark Alliance?

That's it. Answer quick please :wave:

2. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Depends on what he prefers.

If he's into more action, then dark alliance, if more story based gaming, then FFX, just expect some talking though.

3. Sirdan Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Well, he has played FFIX (in PSX) and enjoyed it. However, he doesn't like the gameplay of the BG series on PC, that's why he is asking. If the gameplay in Dark Alliance is almost the same with the BG series i don't think that he'll like it.

4. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

FFX is close to FFIX, so no problem there. BG: Dark Alliance has almost nothing in common with the computer game, but with diablo. If you're not familiar with that, then BG: Dark Alliance is essentially running around in areas, mashing one button for attacking, and another for drinking healing potions (unless you can cast spells, in which case you also use one button for spells and another for mana potions. Isn't it exciting?) The storyline is a joke, and the best part in the game is the ripple effect when you wade through water. If you like the idea, then the game is good. If you hate pure hacking and slashing your way through, then the game sucks.

5. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I can't even believe these two games would be compared. Actually, you can't really call BG: DA a game compared to FFX. I can honestly say that FFX has made me lose complete interest in any boring AD&D PC 'RPG' ever made, including torment. BG:DA is rubbish. It's short, dull, and very repetitive. I can honestly say with al my heart that Final Fantasy X is THE game of 2002, no matter the format. I have given up my life for this game, i just can't believe how much i got into the world of Spira, the graphics, vids, characters, bosses, enemys, towns & citys, jokes, music, THE SHEER LENGTH OF THE GAME IS JAW-DROPPING. How can ANYONE say "it depends what you like" you can't even compare the two, no title other than the earlier FFs and possibly a few other PS2 games, are even worthy of calling themselves a game.

6. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Maybe someone would prefer to play a stupid sports or racing game instead of Final Fantasy. People are different, and no matter how much you fret, you won't change their likes or dislikes. I doubt you'd like someone running in here claiming how great 'George Mahooney's Super Football Pro 2003' is, and people who play anything else are utter morons.

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I only got brief impressions of both games, XX-X and BG - Dark Alliance.

I have played BG - Dark Alliance with a friend of mine. I was really disappointed. Only highlight were the sweet water animations. Gameplay was, in a word, borimg. Jump'n'run and hack'n'slash ... IMO Dark Alliance is worse than Diablo-2. Even the sweet graphics can't compensate for that.

Trying FF-X right after was funnier, not only sweeter animations - generally it seems cooler to me.

[ July 31, 2002, 11:20: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.