1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG2 and IWD

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Silverstar, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I am asking about the differences between IWD and BG2, the two game looks so much alike and yet so different and I like them both. I wonder if different groups of people worked on them. Is there a heavy connection between IWD and BG2 or they are very different and sperate projects that used only the same engine and AD&D rules. There are distinct differences between the two (well except the things like story ofcourse) for example spells are way different, both game has unique spells the other lacks, same spells work differently and spell casting animations are different even though other things like character and monster animations look similar. I wonder what causes these? Different groups of firms or artists worked on them? I am very ignorant in this subject, Bioware, BlackIsle, WoTC, how are these connected in both games? Thanks for your replies hope you understand my problem.

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    BioWare made the engine and Baldur's Gate. Black Isle made Icewind Dale. Hence the differences in spells, items (e.g. Baldur's Gate doesn't have masterwork items) and even rules. By the way, IWD was before BG2. Black Isle took a lot from BioWare but some things were changed. Some of the solutions introduced in Icewind Dale appeared in Baldur's Gate 2, such as item containers and perhaps bigger quivers, but I'm not sure about the latter.

3. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Hmm thanks for clearing the confusion. So Balck Isle and Bioware acted differently and eventually helped eachother with game-mechanics. BG2 is a Bioware or Black Isle game or both? It has Black Isle introduction so? What about expansions and IWD2? And what is Interplay and its role? Is it only distrubuting? OOH I am starting to get confused again! Why the relationship between those designers are so complex I do not know!

BTW all these firms are long dead now right? A pity.

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Bioware isn't dead, is it? Black Isle, Interplay and TSR (assimilated) are dead.

Think like this: Bioware created the game engine, similar to id creating the Quake engine. Now, Black Isle had the money to make the game, like Raven did for id.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] It's pretty simple. You start off with Interplay. Interplay's CRPG division was called Black Isle Studios (BIS).

At some point, BIS hired BioWare to make Baldur's Gate for them, using the Infinity Engine that BioWare created. BIS helped BioWare by providing certain resources like voice acting and music, and the game was distributed and paid for by Interplay.

Later on, BioWare also made the BG expansion, Baldur's Gate 2 and Throne of Bhaal using the same arrangement.

In the meantime, however, BIS licensed the Infinity Engine from BioWare and made a few games with it on their own. IWD, HoW/ToTL, PS:T, and later IWD2.

After that, BIS died along with Interplay, and that was the end of Infinity Engine CRPGs. Anything from that point on has been in 3D, even if it looked similar to how things looked in the IE; like ToEE, for example.

Troika, the makers of ToEE, are dead and buried along with Interplay now. However, most of the people who have worked at BIS are now gathered in a new company called Obsidian Entertainment: http://www.obsidianent.com/

As for BioWare, it has never gone anywhere, and is a complete success story and growing stronger every day. Of the D&D games, BioWare made NWN and all its expansions in partnership with Atari.

NWN2 is being developed by Obsidian for BioWare in a somewhat similar arrangement that BIS used to have with BioWare.

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Now that's what I call "condensed and informative".

You should be a scientist Tal :)

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Thanks. ;)

I'll settle for enlightened benevolent dictator for now. :evil:

8. Ziad

Media:
    Small addition regarding TSR/WoTC: pre-2000, TSR owned the rights to anything D&D, so Interplay bought the rights to that RPG system from TSR. Sometime in 2000 TSR went bankrupt, and was bought by Wizards of the Coast. If you've got ToB try this: install SoA only and you get the TSR logo. Now install ToB, and you get the WotC logo instead.

:lol:

9. kuemper Gems: 31/31

The really funny part is the man who started TSR also owns WotC. :hahaerr:

10. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    So, he basically bought his own firm? :lol: Any theories regarding whether this was a financial stunt?

What!?! You mean you haven't been that all along? So I've been sucking ye **** and licking ye boots for eons now, and it didn't even make a difference :mad: :p

11. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Actually he was pushed out long in advance of even the 2e rules being published. There was a link to that story and the man's history here somewhere.
    After his departure the majority shareholder family parcelled out the various worlds, Faerun & Planetscape etc, to various publishers. That is why the game rules are different for BG and for PS:T,etc. both CRPG and PnP.

When finally TSR failed due to its own management's faults, he bought over the rights to D&D via his company WotC.

12. Ziad

Media:
    The man in question is Gary Gygax, and he has nothing to do with WotC.

If you're interested in reading the entire history of D&D, up to 2004, this should do:
    http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/538/538848p1.html
    The Games article has all of the IE games as well as NWN.

The whole thing is an interesting read, but takes quite some time to go through.

It just occurred to me... I think it would be a nice idea to have a link to this on SP somewhere. After all, all the games on SP are based on D&D, and this is a rather comprehensive history of TSR and D&D.

13. Taluntain

Media:
    It was in the news here back when it was published, but yea, I'll put it among the links.

14. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Or Dave Arneson. I thought Brian Blume (who came in TSR later) was part of WotC, but apparently not. :o

15. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Wow, thanks Tal, I feel really enlightened now!

And that link Ziad kindly shared is very good! Thank you everyone! I am not that ignorant to the history of the games that I just love playing! (including AD&D)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.