1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG2 Deathmatch

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Modjahed, Aug 1, 2001.

1. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

This topic is half-BG2 and half Whatnots.

It was inspired by our (with Extremist) desire to decide, whose char is better.

Both of us NEVER play online, so I had this one idea.

Everybody knows of p&p. Then I suppose someone knows that D&D is now also played over the e-mail - it is a bit slow, but you can do it all the time without sacrificing 5-6-7 houras for a session.

A whole new idea is to organize a one-on-one session over ICQ.

Extremist will have my char, I will have his, and we will simultaneously start a multiplayer game by importing just two chars and starting the fight between them. As Windows is a multitask environment and we can pause BG2 freely, we will be able to run BG2 and ICQ at the same time, pausing it and discussing what action to take and what spells to cast with the opposite char.

I am sure that both Extremist and I will play fair and will take every action their opponent suggests.

If what I just said is a bit unclear, I will explain via the example.

Let's say we choose Irenicus' Dungeon as our battle arena. We kill all monsters, stock up with spells, rest and start in Rielev's room.

First we have to decide how we play it:
    1) Will potions, wands and scrolls be allowed
    2) Will we start the fight right off the bat or we will have time to prepare before the battle (cast the prot, etc)
    3) will we be allowed to summon monsters during the fight
    4) others I can't think of yet, but we'll get it

Then, based on these conditions, we will tell each other what spells to memorize. You might say it is not funny, because we will know what your opponent is up to, but given the fact that each of us spent several hundred hours playing BG2 I doubt that we could be taken by surprise with some spell or trick.

After that, if we decide to cast protections beforehand, we tell each other what to cast:
    I tell Extremist: "On my R/C cast first Iron Skins, Then Chaotic Commands, then Death Ward, then Remove Fear, then ..."
    Extremist sais: "You cast on my F/M/T - first StoneSkin, then Resist Fear, then Blur, etc..."

Then we will start the battle and say like: "Extremist, my R/C starts meleeing you" or "Cast Gate" or else. And Extremist says like "I quaff the potion of Invis and move in behind for a back stab". Me and Extremist will have to follow strictly the directions of the other player.

Hopefully we will have two identical battles going on: one on my computer and the other on Extremist's. Having two battles controlled by two opponents will add to the quality of the result (like when playing tourmanent bridge games a team of four is split up in two and plays with opposite cards in the same setup).

There is an option in the game "Autopause at the end of the round", we will have it turned on. Then after each round we will discuss the situations and the actions for the next round.

Tell me what you think about it.

2. Thorr Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I saw that Extremist doesn't agree to play online. This could be an idea, but it's not a little frustrating to switch between BG2 and ICQ? On my PC sometimes the game crash when I do it, and usually it's last a looong time.

Anyway, if it's working well for you, try it and give us the results. Maybe there are another warriors/mages who want to prove their caracter's supperiority.

3. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I see one main issue. If you are running the same battle on two different machines how will you control the random rolls. Say in the battle you are casting fireball and on his machine his PC does not save but on your machine he does. You quickly will have to different games going on. Each round ALL rolls will be different on each computer. I don't see the point in having two fights going on at the same time when they are different.

If you want to determine who has the stronger character just fight head to head a few times online. Say best out of 5 or 7 or something like that.

Doesn't that just sound easier??

4. shadow_thief Guest

Yeah, plus, if you want to be invisible online but he can see you cause he's in your party, just kick yourself out of the party and so on...

5. Modjahed Gems: 14/31

It was just an idea, anywas. Let's wait and see what Extremist says.

If my idea doesn't workout we can discuss our tactics in the chatroom (giving exact spells and counterspells and battle strategies), and then a jury of, let's say, BTA, Darien and Tal will determine which class is better, based on how efficient we can manage our class.

6. shadow_thief Guest

Lol, that's right. The jury should always be the moderaters if all of them hear of this.(I'm not insulting the moderaters here)

7. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] I think one of us is missing something.

Modjahed, Let my make sure I got things straight. You and Extremist want to have your PCs from BG2 fight each other. You've come up with all these complex idea about how to do it.

Why don't the two of you start a multi-player game of BG2 can have you characters fight it out online using the game? I'm I missing something? It's better than you 'two battles at once' idea and you 'cast spells in the chat room' concept. Even though the thought of having people vote on a fight is a cool idea. You could use the dice bot in the chat room to have a more complete conflict. You'd have to RP the battle out and have someone DM it live for you.

What do you think of these ideas?

8. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Modjahed, that is interesting idea indeed. But...

I must resign and say you're better. *shrug*
    Why do I think that? Because my FMT couldn't beat all three Greater Wolfweres in Firkraag's dungeon only by himself... That FMT can avoid those beasts but can't kill them all, ok? So, I guess that FMT couldn't beat your hero then either...
    Also, there is no way I can reach stats, skills and levels you have - see, I don't have ToB so I can't get my hero to skyhigh levels like you - unless I boost him manually (cheat). Also, I deleted my previous FMT hero - because I got him Imprisonment scroll illegaly (sad but true) due to my evil experiments with mixing store codes. So, my new FMT I currently play with is now around a mil experience... :(

Ok, this was crap.
    I said it so you can know that if the clash would happen, I would boost my hero's levels with hex editor. Or console, doesn't matter. But this doesn't mean I'm gonna boost stats - they stay as they originally are.

Terms and conditions
    I edited your suggestions some more, so the list could look like this:

Will we allow:
    1) Quick slot items usage (potions, wands, scrolls, summoning items, special items like book of infinite spells)
    2) Monster summoning during the fight (IMHO, we SHOULD disable at least nishruu summoning because of possible bugs exploit)
    3) All items that exist in BG2 no matter if those are cheats or not (in this case I'm including even items available by bonus merchants - although I always thought of them as cheat weapons)
    4) Slayerchange ability

Of course, will we start the fight right off the bat or we will have time to prepare before the battle stays to be considered.

Also, maybe we should try clash with every possible fighthing style:
    1. Two weapon style
    2. Two-handed weapon style
    3. Two-handed sword style
    4. Sword and shiled style
    5. Spells only style (this means NO equipment)
    6. Mix style (everything is allowed)

One thing more, there is a problem with invisibility (illusion spells generally in fact) because since we'll be in the same party we won't be able to make them work!

Lastly, we should disable the console cheat keys.

End note

As you could see, my problem is that I have no ToB. So if we are to use that expansion, you'll have to wait till I get it.
    You see, many things in ToB are not the same as in SoA - so all items and spells on ToB installed won't work the same as with pure SoA installed.

Note to Voltric
    I'm already sick of your deceiving Wildfire with online RPGs. I don't want nor will play ONLINE - NEVER (at least, not yet). Wildfire doesn't come so often as before to chatroom because of that, and I'm :mad: about it. I won't become another Wildfire - no, sir.
    If you like to play online - then YOU play the deathmatch with Modjahed instead of me - agreed? :p

9. shadow_thief Guest

Oh yeah, Extrimist, is it possible to kick yourself out of the party like you can with NPCs/Own created characters? Maybe that would help with the invisiblility spells. I have never tried because no one ever went to my games and when I played with Dudette, we wouldn't bother with it because we would want to be in the same party.

10. Modjahed Gems: 14/31

Extremist:

Actually, my R/C is a SoA character only. I saved and exported it when I didn't yet have ToB. So it is a legal lvl 8/20 no exp cap removed char.

My ICQ number is 91712304. I am available usually at work at Central European Time +2 from 9:30 am till 17:30 pm.

If we will play it out, It will have to be a Saturday evening.

I am ready to wait until you get ToB. I have an even better idea. I am getting BG1 tomorrow. I am planning to make a new MULTI-class R/C and lead him through all the series. You could do the same, and this will be a clash of the titans :D.

Or I can uninstall SoA&ToB, and just reinstall SoA so we will be on even terms.

11. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Extremist, I'm sorry about the online thing. I just thought if you were going to be playing BG2 and on IRC you could just setup a internet game for the two of you. I was only trying to help. :o BTW what online game is Wildfire addicted to? I miss seeing him around as well.

Good luck with your deathmatch guys.

[This message has been edited by Voltric (edited August 02, 2001).]

12. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Clash of Titans? Greek mythology movie? Loved it... :D :p

Huh, I'm taking a sweat thinking about it all. Actually I could do BG1 once or twice - just because of those stats improving books! :p

But how much time will it take? :eek: I'm already bored with that all... God knows when I'll finish BG2 again, I can't force myself to play it more that 15 mins per day. And you suggest BG1 :rolleyes: ;)

No matter what happens, when I finally finish SoA again, I'll post it here so you will know it. Then we'll see what to do, agreed?

Errrr, but if Arcanum breaks out BEFORE I finish it...

To Voltric:
    That wasn't ment to be a flame - just my rough "humble opinion" about online RPGs (NWN included). So sorry! Geez, I should reread my notes before I post them I guess...
    The problem here is Wildfire - obviously we both want him selfishly for our different dark causes (chatroom vs online games). Is he THAT good? ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.