1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Biggest Lies of '05

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Here's a Newsweek article on the biggest political lies we've been asked to swallow in 2005. The article speaks for itself, so I have no need to comment.

Read it here.

2. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I read the same article with great interest. I wonder what lies we will be hearing in 2006? I fear they will be even bigger than this year's versions from "Nixon 2.0."

3. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

Be certain to not miss the most important line in the article...
    Don't confuse this with news. :p

4. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I notice they attacked Bush more than anyone else. The big lie is that only one side is trying to pull a fast one...

5. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

[sarcasm] Hmm, could it possibly be because he's done more wrong? No, that can't be it. [/sarcasm]

I suppose now you'll say that people were saying too many bad things about Saddam or Hitler. (Though Bush isn't even close to their level by a long shot, it provides a more concrete example than just the lies Bush is accused of.)

6. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I don't hear you disputing any of its content, however...

7. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    While a valid point, consider that he is the president and so is at the very least one of the most important politicians--or people--in the country, and quite possibly is the single most important. They should pay more attention to him, given his position.

Does anyone give a flying [expletive deleted] about the lies I've told this year? Probably not. Can you guess why? ;)

8. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Fel, I was just suggesting that the article neglected lies from Democrats, only really targetting Bush.

9. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

[​IMG] Ladies and gentlemen (that includes you, Gnarf), let me direct your attention to AMaster's previous post. You need look no further for the reason why Dem lies aren't really paid attention to; the Dems themselves aren't paid attention to. I can't remember a single initiative from their side of the Congress in the past few years. (Of course, I don't pay too much attention to Congress normally anyway, so I could just be missing something.) Do you really give a "flying expletive" if some sit-ins lie?

10. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Also, and I hate to say it, but any lies the Democrats tell do not lead to policy. In other words, Bush's lies are used to back up his policies, which he then puts into force. When it is discovered that the policy is in place because of a lie, people get hostile. Even right -- wingers such as myself!!

If and when we get another Democrat in the White House, you can rest assured that HIS (or her, if it turns out to be Hillary) lies will move to center stage.

11. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Exactly, LKD - the lies of the incumbent are always "worse" than the opposition's, mainly because the incumbent is usually responsible for the outcome and consequences. As a general rule, I'm as inclined to take the word of a politician (of any persuasion) without substantiation as I am to gnaw my own foot off.

That isn't to say that I don't think the Bush administration would use any method, lie or leverage to get their way, because I do. I think that the esteem of the US presidency has been greatly weakened by this administration, even as the executive branch's powers have increased through rushed legislation and the erosion of personal liberties. They're still flogging the 9/11 horse as justification for their actions, even though they've been forced to confess to having misled the country into war (but not intentionally - they've blamed the intelligence personnel).

BTW, here's my contribution to the "biggest lies" list; it's not as political, though.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/stem-cell-fraud-could-harm-research-experts/2005/12/26/1135445526820.html

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.