1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bizarre "To Hit" degeneration bug

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by ArtEChoke, Dec 28, 2001.

1. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

[​IMG] Okay, here's the problem, just as I was finishing up the area beneathe Curst, I happened to check the Nameless One's stat page, and noticed that his "To Hit" modifier was set to -1. Minutes before that, it had been +3. I couln't figure out a reason why it had changed so drastically, and I started looking at the other characters stats as well. All were normal except for Morte. Morte was down to -4. That's bad if you're a fighter.

I rested, I cast remove curse on the characters, no changes - they were still penalized. Then I started to go through the archived saves to see how far back the bug (at least I *think* its a bug...) went. The Nameless one evidently had only been penalized in the past couple of minutes, so I had a good save to go back for him, but with Morte its another story.

Evidently, right at the beginning of the game, between Ragpicker's and the Buried Village, Morte went from 'To Hit +0" to "To Hit -2" and then farther along in the game it dropped again to -4.

I went back and started playing from the save in Curst where the Nameless One hadn't been mysteriously penalized yet and caught up to where I had been, I continually checked the stats and everything seemed fine, and when I got to Dak'kon, he had dropped from +3 to +1 for no reason! So I went back to that save *again* and went forward, this time no mysterious penalties.

When I cleared Curst it looked like things were going smoothly, and then Morte dropped down to a -6 to hit.

I am playing with PsT full install and patched. Suggestions as to how to fix this problem would be very appreciated.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Haven't heard of this one before, though I doubt anyone actually noticed it even it was there all along. I mean seriously... Torment is not exactly a game where you'd need to worry about the To Hit modifier... There's not that much battle. I know this isn't what you're looking for, but take it as a challenge.

3. total Guest

I dont get it, isn't it better to have THAC0 as lower as possible?

4. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31

It wasn't the THAC0 that was dropping.
    It was the "To Hit Bonus" that was dropping.

5. Platter

Platter Can I buy you a tankard or two, lad? Veteran

This ToHit penalty is caused by getting hit with the spell "Ice Knife." Killing the character then resurrecting him fixes it.
    Unfortunatly, the part of the spell that causes this bug seems to be hard-coded.

[This message has been edited by Platter (edited February 27, 2002).]

6. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31

[​IMG] Excellent, thanks Platter.

I'll have to check that out, incidently if there was any game to have that particular bug in, this one is it, with being able to raise anyone back from the dead for free, and not having "the hand of death" when the main character dies.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.