1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Black Isle Studios Board Update

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by NewsPro, Mar 29, 2001.

1. NewsPro Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

(Originally posted by Darien)

Here is the first batch of comments from the BIS message boards.

BGII: Throne of Bhaal

Kevin Martens, Lead Designer:

On the accessibility of old areas: To start - here's a brief explanation of the Add-On and Add-In sections.

The Add-In section is a massive dungeon complex called The Watcher's Keep. When you install Throne of Bhaal (TOB), the area is added to your existing Shadows of Amn (SOA) map. You can play it whenever you access to it although you should have an average party level of at least 10 to venture in. The Watcher's Keep makes up approximately half of the expansion and can be accessed from both Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal. The area is on both maps.

The Add-On section continues the main story after the final confrontation in SOA. An Ill-wind sweeps across the Sword Coast and the party drives southward in an attempt to learn more about the Prophecy of Alaundo and to find his or her place (as a Child of Bhaal) in that prophecy. We give you an entire new WorldMap with tons of stuff to do. This new map is made up of Southern Tethyr and Northern Calimshan. Just like the transition from BG1 to BG2, everything is new.

One of the concerns mentioned was that some people are concerned about accessing the stuff that they've stored in their stronghold or elsewhere in the SOA areas. We have several solutions for this:
    1) You can import from your final save in SOA. Like BG1, this is just before the end encounter. All of the equipment that you've loaded yourself out with for the final battle will be imported over into TOB. Alternately, you can do the final battle and the game will flow directly in TOB from the end movie of SOA.
    2) We have tons of importation options. You can import from any other SOA save games. If you left something behind or have not yet finished SOA, you can still import into TOB. You can also import any of your created characters into the game. Any characters that are below 2 million XP will be bumped up and be given a bag of holding full of appropriately powerful goodies. We insure that you will be at an approprite level to be able to face the new challenges in the Add-On section regardless of where you've imported from.
    3) You can start a new game in TOB - you can go through the character creation just like in SOA, including new options like the Wild Mage (also available from the start of SOA). You will build a 2 million XP character who will also be given tons of spells and items appropriate to his or her class and/or level.
    4) All of these import or new game options give you access, in your new stronghold, to all of the Shadows of Amn characters who are not dead. There is also a new joinable-NPC who you meet in your new stronghold.

In short, you have options. Approximately half of the expansion takes place in SOA (although it is also accessible in TOB). So, anyone who's worried about items or tying up loose ends, should take some time there and gather up everything you want to take with you before moving on. If you're not interested in this, we always make sure that you have enough good loot to make it through the game, regardless of what you have when you start the Add-On section.

Experience cap in BG2:ToB: Everyone caps out at 8 million XP and all of the individual 2DAs are filled out to 40th level. We had to choose somewhere to stop and 40th level was what we chose. 40th level is ludicrously high by any standards. What may not be understood is that we did this to essentially remove the XP cap. A normal run through of Shadows of Amn/Throne of Bhaal will leave you at approx 30th level or 5 million xp (level, of course, varies according to class). The extra 10 levels or 3 million XP is in place for those people who play the game several times via reimporting and other people who might reach the cap abnormally soon. The majority of players will not reach the cap but everything is filled out to 40th for those who do.

If there was no cap whatsoever, we would have to fill out 2DAs for all classes to any number that the player might be able to reach by reimporting over and over again. Our solution was to place a cap that just isn't attainable through normal play, hence, effectively removing the cap. Die hard players like solo players or people who import back into the game over and over again could reach the 40th level/8million XP cap.

About the new Stronghold: The new Abyssal stronghold applies all of the lessons that we learnt from the Shadows of Amn strongholds.

1) It's very connected to the story.
    2) Lots of things happen it.
    3) There is a portal function so that you can visit is at your convenience.
    4) All of the NPCs in the game can be left there so that you have access to them whenever you need them.

And so on.

Inventory storage: We have potion bags and they're quite handy. We also have more bags of holding and ammo belts in addition to the gem bags and scroll cases from Shadows of Amn.

James Ohlen, Director of Writing and Design:

More on the XP cap: The reason we use XP as a cap instead of level is for balance. In 2nd edition, a 10th level fighter is far more useful than a 10th level thief, but the fighter requires more XP to reach that level. If we used the level as a cap, then the classes that progressed the fastest would be at a disadvantage. These classes would cap out at a level significantly weaker than the classes that advanced at a slower pace.

IWD: Heart of Winter

Steve Bokkes, Designer

HoW Dungeon Pack: As you all may or may not know, the development of a free, downloadable dungeon pack for Heart of Winter is now under way over here at the BIS. If all goes well, it should be available sometime in early or mid May. As I mentioned, the Dungeon Pack will be free, though it will require the installation of both Icewind Dale and Heart of Winter.
    The Pack is essentially a self-contained side adventure that will offer roughly four new areas to explore, as well as 20-30 new items, and at least one new monster.

This little treat is simply the Icewind Team's way of saying thanks to all the fans that purchased, and hopefully enjoyed Icewind Dale and Heart of Winter. With that in mind, I figured I'd hit you all with a few poll questions so that we can get a better idea of what you might like to see in this new adventure. I don't know how many of you have made the switch over to the new boards, but hopefully we can get enough feedback here to get the ball rolling. So, without further ado, here are the questions:

1) What experience level should this new adventure be geared for? The removal of the level cap in Heart of Winter has made determining a target level range a bit difficult. I'd like to get a general idea of what the average level was upon completion of HoW, as well as what level of difficulty you prefer.

2) What new monster/s would you like to see in the Dungeon Pack? Keep in mind, we're on a rather accelerated time schedule for this project, so there will be no giant size critters or ones that require magnificent feats of animation (sorry, the Tarrasque and Kraken are right out).

3) What new items would you like to see? I know this topic has appeared in a number of threads on Josh's board. However, this time I'd like to offer the chance to get your ideal item, along with its own unique history that you wrote, implemented into the game. I'll take all item suggestions, but limit yourself to 200 words or less for the description (remember, this will be a downloadable expansion, so size is a concern). Just so you know, there is no set criterion for judging each suggestion; I'll pick out ones that are both cool and easily implemented (so stay away from items like the Sentient Blade of Tongues +5, +6 against non-elvish speaking races, +7 against one-legged orcs on a rainy day).

That's about it for now. I'll have more details such as story background, etc. in the near future. Thanks in advance to everybody who takes the time to participate in my little polls. And remember: this Dungeon Pack is all about you, the fans. If there's something you want, let us know. We'll do our best to get it in there for you.

Jason Manley, Concept Artist:

On new portraits: I can tell you that I have some more portraits done for you all. I'm not sure yet if they will be released separately or if they will be released with the full download. If I had only one more portrait to do for HOW....what portrait would you all like to see?

What a great response...I totally appreciate all the ideas you guys are throwing around. Ill give it a few days to see what the general concensus is and make the portrait that you all feel is needed most.

I am currently working on the FREE downloadable expansion levels and art for HOW. I am doing some more concepts and 4 portraits for you all.

Keep an eye out for some art soon.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.