1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bloc Party Lovers?

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Barmy Army, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    These guys are awesome. I've loved them for a long time, but their latest song 'Flux' is the best they've made as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsIMTwVaGyw
    (set it going, then minimize.. the video is just really weird and will distract you!)

They've written some awesome songs. I can't think of a bad one, seriously.

The Arctic's are still going strong as well. Their latest album is way better thn their debut - and that one was good.

Any other Bloc fans around these parts?

Another of my current favourite bands are the Pigeon Detectives (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GaFD9SeA0&feature=related / http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuyNnm0lwBw&feature=related). They're pretty good, too.

... this wasn't meant to turn into a 'this week I have been mostly liking...' thread! Ah well. British rock is really cool.

2. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

Agreed that they're awesome. Flux is a great tune. They were supposed to play it at their Dublin concert back in November but had 'technical difficulties' with their keyboard. They wasted more time trying to fix it than it would have taken to play the song. Still, great gig and the song is great now that I've gotten to hear it.

Don't know if it's their best though. My vote would still go to Banquet but it's got some stiff competition. Thought the entire of the first album was fantastic, second rather more patchy. Still not a bad song on it, just thought that some of them took a while to get going. Bits of them were focused mainly on interesting lyrics, rather than making sure they were a great tune all the way through. All said, awesome band nevertheless.

3. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Bloc Party are great. I especially like Hunting for Witches. But I don't know this new single. Did they make a third album?

I like the first Arctic Monkeys album. But their latest single isn't that good, I think.

Pidgeon Detectives? No, thank you. I don't need a Babyshambles/Mando Diao clone.

I like The Killers. I know their from the States, but the style fits. But my favourites are Maximo Park. Their song-writing is unbeatable at the moment.

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    It's not off an album mate, it comes on an EP.

5. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Bloc Party is awesome.

I'm not sure I like the distortion of the vocals in 'Flux' though. My favourites are Banquet, skeleton, this modern love, I still remember and many others.

I'm completely addicted to the english rock and indie scene. Bloc party, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, We are scientists, the maccabees, Franz Ferdinand and especially Editors.

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I like Bloc Party too. Flux is awesome. I like Skeleton, This Modern Love, Helicopter and Plans the most. A couple of others too, can't remember the title at the moment though.

7. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Top band! Flux is pretty good, doesn't top Banquet for me though (I think I've had longer to attach meaning to it, so my opinion is probably biased...for the moment).

Those Pidgeon Detective songs you linked sound alright, the first sounded pretty generic imho, but I enjoyed the 2nd one.

Nice call on The Killers Fabius Maximus, they're probably the best 'British' band to come out of the States.

8. Giles Barskins Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Bloc Party is pretty hit and miss with me. Banquet was the first song I heard by them and I put it on repeat and listened to it probably 50 time in a row. Other songs by them have been less than spectacular in my opinion. Flux is good. I seem to remember another song of theirs where they are in a train/subway car in the video. What was the title of that song?

British rock does indeed rule.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.