1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Blood donation ban for men who have slept with men

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Silvery, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I've recently signed a petition against the ban that says that a man who has had intercourse with another man at any time in his life may never donate blood.

This is stupid. There are people out there that are desperate for blood transfusions but there isn't enough supply to meet demand. People can die because of this but the blood service has refused life saving donations because they think that every gay man in the world has HIV.

A person who goes out and has unprotected sex every night is welcomed with open arms when they want to give blood yet a man who had a gay experiance 40 years ago is turned away. It's not right at all.

This attitude is promoting the image that all gay men are promiscious and always have unsafe sex and it's REALLY annoying me! :mad:

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    How ridiculous. I thought we were past this kind of rubbish.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I doubt that there isn't a solid reason behind this... and I imagine that it's that the blood donated by homosexuals has a significantly higher chance of being tainted in one way or another and hence be unusable. You have to take into account that full blood testing isn't cheap and if they have to discard 4 out of 5 gay donations it costs them more to collect and test the blood than the return is.

Blood donation is a privilege for the healthy minority, not a right that everyone could demand. And if past experience shows that collecting gay blood costs more than it's worth, then it's really quite rational not to do it and discrimination doesn't have anything to do with it. I'm sure that plenty of people fraudulently fill out such forms as it is.

The Great Snook likes this.
  4. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Taluntain, the ban was put in place back when AIDS (Aquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome) was was still more often known as GRID (gay-related immunodeficiency disease) and before we had a dependable and accurate HIV test. We now know that heterosexual sex also causes HIV and we also now have a quick, dependable, and accurate HIV test, so this ban serves no purpose. In fact, not allowing them to donate probably increases the rate at which HIV is transmitted, since anyone who donates tainted blood will ordinarily be notified and referred to medical treatment (and, more importantly, legally obligated to notify any potential sex partners of his infection).

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Are you talking about the US or the UK? Or is the situation the same?

As for that legal obligation, heh... we've had dozens of cases where HIV infected people intentionally spread the disease further, and while I was reading a few of the Slovenian forums on this topic, there are a number of posts from people saying that they suspect that they are HIV positive but don't really want to know so they'll just keep having unprotected sex like they have so far and consequences be damned. So my bet would be that most of the promiscuous people won't willingly ruin their chances of getting laid by telling their (past or future) victims that they are HIV positive...

6. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Looking at the stats from the Center for Disease Control it appears that in 2006 57% of the HIV infections came from male to male intercourse (I'm also including the category of MtM including IV drug use). Now, I don't know what percentage of men actually participate in male to male intercourse, but I have frequently heard 10% is the number that homosexuals toss around (I personally think it is much lower). So if 57% of infections come from 10% of the population I think that makes perfect sense for them to exclude that 10% of the population.

What I find even more interesting is the infection rate among black and hispanic people is much higher (according to the bar chart) then other ethnicities. I'm guessing that for political reasons they couldn't ban black and hispanic men who have had male to male intercourse, so they banned the entire group.

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I would hope they check all blood no matter who it is from, anything else would just be plain wrong. Shouldnt matter if certain groups are more prone to having "tainted" blood, it should all be tested and certain to be clean before it is given to anyone.

8. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I agree, but if you eliminate the high risk percentages of the population it is bound to save them money on blood collection.

9. Nataraja Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Media:
    What about blood from a man who sleeps with men and women? Is it only half-banned?

10. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    As the once great comedien Andrew Dice Clay said "There is no such thing as a bi-sexual man, You either xxxx xxxx or you don't xxxx xxxx"

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  11. Nataraja Gems: 12/31

Media:
    Well, I guess...sort of...

I dont give blood anyway, but it is still discrimination.

12. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You say that like it's a bad thing.

13. Nataraja Gems: 12/31

Media:
    The discrimination or the giving of blood? If it is discrimination then yes, it is a bad thing because of my orientation, hence discrimination. If its about the giving of blood, well...no reason why I dont, just never have.

14. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I believe they do not allow prostitutes or intravenous drug user to donate either. You also cannot donate blood if you have visited a country with widespread health issues (such as malaria) or if you have a blood disorder. It's not just gays they target.

Disposing of tainted blood is an expensive undertaking. Not allowing high risk groups to donate saves money. While the extra blood would be helpful, the costs and delays caused by disposing of tainted blood far outweigh any benefits from allow donations from high risk groups.

15. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Actually, if you've been in an area that has widespread health worries then you are banned for 12 months from giving blood, not for life

16. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Discrimination without good reason is bad (e.g. your sexual orientation disqualifies you when it has no bearing on the situation). Discrimination for a good reason is not bad (e.g. your sexual orientation disqualifies you because it correlates with tainted blood.).

17. Silvery

Media:
    Straight people get HIV too

18. Taluntain

Media:
    Yes, but the overall numbers there are significantly smaller... see Snook's post above.

19. Silvery

Media:
    This is what the guys who wrote the petition have written (I should have included this in the original post)

20. Taluntain

Media:
    Sorry, but I only see THT making sense in that petition... until someone invents a crystal bowl that will allow THT to at a glance determine whether any given gay man presents a larger or smaller risk, they have chosen the only sensible and pragmatic solution, as they put it. Any other group currently precluded from giving blood could draw up a similarly emotional petition and I would seriously hope that none of them would get anywhere with them. Not because I had anything against them, but because it'd be a crime against common sense.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.