1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Blood for the Abyss going North

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Ilmater's Suffering, Feb 23, 2006.

1. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Posting as Valnar

It was somehow refreshing how Skiffle just cut through all pretenses, and her cheerful predisposition to life was contagious. It was also doing Fanten some good drawing him out of his shell, I smiled at the sight presented and spoke softly to Fanten "Right idea, has she I think, sleep shall I also" he nodded and shifting slightly leaned back against a tree, a hand holding the gnome carefully to his chest. My last sight before sleep claimed me was of the wolves strecthing out protectively alongside them both.

[ March 02, 2006, 15:33: Message edited by: DarkStrider ]

2. Elwithral Irenicus Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Silviras stretched out on the bed that was offered by his new friend's family, careful not to let his wings become cramped. After all, they had a very long trek ahead of them.

3. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The family and guests settled in for a good night's sleep.

4. deepfae Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Culculna awoke, hours later, from the sleep-meditation that elves requiere in the stead of real sleep. A green dawn trickled through the trees' canopy, though looking to the earth, Culculna noticed a forbidding, darker green that stretched on almost endlessly, finally blendeding into the depths of the Forest of Secrets. Culculna rose and rotated his shoulder, stretching the stiff mussles and drawn skin. His wound still hurt, but it had healed at last, and that was the important thing. Feeling invigorated if worn, Culculna gathered his belongings together, and on a whim, jumped from his treetop platform. At the last moment he grabbed a lowhanging branch to break his fall, and then dropped saftley to the ground. By the gods, he hafn't done that in a long time! With his spirits thusly high and ready to face the coming dangers, Culculna decided to go off in search of the rest of his company, to see if they too were ready to depart.

5. Elwithral Irenicus Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Silviras opened his eyes, and instantly got his things ready. He left the house, saying his thanks to the family that housed him. He jumped from the treetop, soaring down in a circular motion, landing on a bed of leaves with a crunch. Using his scythe as a staff, he ventured towards the others.

6. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Ja'a'la joined the others. Shalm came over and sniffed her and woofled at her. She scratched Shalm behind the ears. "So you have a new playmate. Glad to see you haven't completely forgotten me."

Shalm just rolled over and played dead. The captain gathered everyone together and they headed north further into the forest.

7. DarkStrider

Posting as Fanten

Not only had I never met a gnome before, I'd never met anybody like Skiffle either, as we headed north and started moving deeper into the forest, she was sat on my shoulder! Not only was she sat there, but she sounded so happy merrily humming and whistling away and bursting into the occasional bit of song, all the while re-braiding my hair for me!

Fenris was walking alongside me well when he wasn't skipping after, or chasing Shalm that is; he and Valnar both seemed to have secret half-smiles on their faces as if I was doing something marvellous or wonderful, but if I was I certainly had no idea what it was.

I looked around about it and upon seeing Ja'a'la reminded myself to have a word with her about Fenris, perhaps when we stopped next I'd get a chance.

8. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Skif loved being up so high. This was quite fun. She grabbed a braid in each hand and pretended her George was a gigantic warpony sent from Gond himself. "H'ya, George!" she shouted and slapped her 'reigns' against his head, urging him to walk faster with her knees. "Move on! Time's a-wastin'!"

9. deepfae Gems: 7/31

Dawn turned into midmorning, but it seemed that the higher the sun climed, the darker it became. The forest blocked out most light, letting little more than a twilight escape through the overhanging canopy. As the party pressed on, Culculna decided to have a word with Fanten. Making his way towards the druid, he asked: "Fanten! Tell me, what do you know about this dragon we seek?"

10. DarkStrider

Posting as Fanten

I almost fell over when the voice asked me about the dragon, fortunately I managed to collect myself together and hold on to Skiffle, who it seems had decided I was a mount of some kind. Looking down I was really unsurprised to find one of the brusque peoples (an elf) talking to me, I thought I'd better answer him before he thought I was either stupid or slow "Well as I said round the campfire last night she has not been active in recent times, though that doesn't mean..."

"STOP, all of you don't move" a thundering shout came that I realised was my voice, carefully I lifted Skif down "I'm sorry if my shout startled you little one, but bad things will happen if we don't stop for a minute, wait here please". I moved forward and asked Ja'a'la to join me in case my dialect was wrong. I pointed out to her the tribal markers on the side of the path and standing behind them, speaking first in Sylvan, Elven and then Druidic I greeted The Guardians of the Trees and asked their permission to travel through their lands on our way to the Icekissed Mountains.

I wasn't at all surprised though it seemed Ja'a'la was to some extent that the reply that floateed from the semi-darkness ahead was Druidic, and they allowed us entrance but under guard especially as we had an axe-wielder and elves amongst us. I turned and explained that we were being allowed forward and that Valnar and the elves especially to take care. As I spoke archers stepped from the shadows and stood either side of the path to guide us. Picking Skif up and putting her back on my shoulder I led the party forward to the next village built much as Ja'a'la's had been in the trees.

11. Nakia

Media:
    Ja'a'la was surprised that the elves had answered Fanten in Druidic. This group of wood elfs was one her village was friendly with though not closely. However they would not take kindly to any thing they saw as desceration of their beloved forest.

Since they had responded to the Druidic request she decided to let Fanten take the lead.

12. DarkStrider

Posting as Fanten

As we entered the village there was a sense of disquiet amongst the wood elves that I ha not noticed in previous dealings with them, a druid approached me and asked that I join him in their grove, I in turn asked that Ja’a’la and our wolves could also come. After some internal debate this was allowed, I turned to the others “Ja’a’la and myself have been invited to the grove to meet with the druids that run this village, please wait here until we return; hopefully with news and more information. Skif I have an important job for you, keep Valnar out of trouble would you? As an axe-wielder he is not well trusted, but I’m sure you can make him behave. Captain Robson if you and your men also wait here please; as well the other elves I’m afraid that Elves are not trusted easily here.”

I turned away with Ja’a’la and the wolves following us and kept pace with the druid as he led us down a darkened path to the grove, as we turned a corner and the grove came into view a gasp from Ja’a’la confirmed my suspicion that she hadn’t seen the grove before. It was a typical woodland grove oval in shape its border made of the most sacred trees to druids, Ash, Birch, Beech, Rowan, Sycamore and at one end a massive oak tree; it’s heavy-foliaged branches creating dappled shadows underneath. As we approached I saw the leader of the grove and to my surprise an Arch-Druid, which was something I had not expected.

Bowing deeply to both I started speaking in druidic “Masters, I am Fanten Hillstrider my range is usually to the north, I am at present…”

The Arch-Druid interrupted me in Sylvan “You bring a guest that does not speak our language Fanten and normally you are correct in addressing me in ours, but this once we will use the forest tongue, that our guest hears our words and understands them”

I felt myself blushing as I tried to stammer out an apology to all present in [particular Ja’a’la but I was saved from further embarrassment by the Arch-Druid continuing “We are aware of the plight of the city to the south Sunglow, we assume that as you’re moving through the forest you are headed towards the ancient elven city, yes?” at a nod from both of us he went on “the Wyrm is also trying to enter the city, it seems that there is something in there she wants, but because of the curse laid by the arrogant sun elves when they abandoned the city she cannot gain entrance. The curse should not affect your party overly much it is designed to keep out evil. However the guardians of the artefacts are a different matter

“When you have finished in the city Fanten, plant this twig in the centre and from outside read this scroll, in this way balance will be returned to the area and the temptations of the city reduced. The dangers you face will be strong but not too strong I think for the likes of you and your companions. As you move deeper through the forest, because of the gathering darkness north and south the elves will become more untrusting of the axe-wielder and other Quendi and you Fanten will be their surety. As such it is fitting that you should have a symbol of that authority, I have a new staff prepared for you.” He took my current staff away and gave me a new staff, one end was intricately carved with leaves of the sacred trees, and it was beautiful. His final words were a blessing "Rillifane Rallathil guide you".

I bowed deeply again “Thank you master, I hope to prove worthy of carrying it.” As Ja’a’la and I left the grove I said “Well that was different, could you pass on the news and information I think I will meditate in the grove for a while before we leave, I will see you after lunch”

[ March 07, 2006, 11:56: Message edited by: DarkStrider ]

13. Nakia

Media:
    Ja'a'la returned to the group and informed them of what was told them in Grove. Feeling a little pensive herself she then went off to the side to meditate herself for a bit. She soon joined the others for the noon meal.

14. deepfae Gems: 7/31

Culculna meandered over to silviras, needing to talk to another elf.

"I'm just begining to realise how much hatred there is within our merry little race." Culculna gave a terse laugh, half humorous, half bitter. "But I supposse at least you, me, and Ja'a'la can overcome that, heh?"

[ March 09, 2006, 01:47: Message edited by: deepfae ]

15. DarkStrider

Posting as Valnar

I sat there waiting for the other shoe to drop, I was now a problem for the party in the forest cos I carried an axe! Then to find out that the Wood Elves didn't trust the other elves but would trust Fanten as he was a Druid! Then we find out that the Dragon is probably going to be a problem as she wants into the city as well; and to top it all off there were guardians and a curse in the city, damn I should have gone east. Looking down at Skif who was almost bouncing on the balls of her feet with the need to do something I said "Food we shall get, yes?" and joined the others for some food and drink.

Posting as Fanten

It was good, oh so good to be sat in a grove again he missed this, the quiet, peaceful calming presence of a grove overlaid with the gentle essence of the God Rillifane Rallathil. At home in his range he didn't have a grove as such, there was a stand of sacred trees an ash, a birch and a summer tree (an oak) which he liked to believe was god-touched. Feeling refreshed and lighter in spirit he and Fenris left the grove and upon finding the others enquired as to whether they were ready to move on after lunch.

16. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

New places, new people, new things to find that weren't lost. Skiffle quickly melted into the background and deftly plucked tiny objects from places secured. She even swiped a warm tartlet intended for the wood elves' leader. The gooey innards warmed her tongue and set a smile on her lips.

17. Nakia

Media:
    Ja'a'la heard Culculna's comment to Silviras. "The wood elves don't trust anyone and the deeper we go the worse it will get. I am surprised they specified elves. I wonder if something has happened lately that I haven't heard about."

Turning to Valnar, "Don't take it personally, Valnar. Wood elves do worry about axes. We have seen so many trees fall." She smiled, "Just don't go around chopping down trees with your axe. Besides it would get dull pretty fast."

Seeing Fanten she gathered her things and made ready to trek into the deep forest. Shalm had been behaving very quietly and came over next her rubbing up against her leg.

"Aye, Shalm, the forest doesn't seem as friendly as it usually does. Something is wrong."

18. deepfae Gems: 7/31

Culculna's brow furrowed. "I feel that there shpuld be more trust between elves, after all we are of the same blood, we all hail from the same ancient fey realm." said Culculna frustrated. "But mabye you are right, Ja'a'la. Mabye something happened that we are not aware of to make the wood elves on the alert, suspicious of other elves...Do you think they would mind if I asked them about it?"

19. DarkStrider

Posting as Valnar

The change in Fanten as he came back from the Grove was incredible, he looked calm and assured there was an air of confidence about him now as if the responsibility of getting us through the forest was making him into a leader; a role I thought he didn't like. As he approached the captain and spoke about how he would walk first so that they didn't upset any tibes by missing their markers before talking to them, I realised that it wasn't as a leader but in himself that he had confidence; and self-belief was carrying him forward.

I looked round for Skif and saw her skipping down the path a smile on her face and chewing something, probably more of that waybread she loved so much. As she came next to me I scooped her up onto my shoulder ready for the off.

Posting as Fanten
    Having spoken with the captain I turned to the others and spoke to them as well "I will act as scout when we leave this village so that we don't overstep our boundaries, I would be happy Ja'a'la if you would accompany me and Fenris. I have also had news from druids in the other villages ahead of us that Aszh-naghs, treekillers, Orcs as some call them are in the mountains and northern forest as well; worse that some tribes have not been heard from for days, the worst is feared my friends. Let us be prepared and move on" so saying he and Fenris stepped out into the path and started walking, their guard still vigilant on either sides of that path.

[ March 10, 2006, 14:24: Message edited by: DarkStrider ]

20. Nakia

Media:
    Just before Fanten returned to the camp Ja'a'la answered Culculna's question, "Yes it won't hurt to ask but I don't know if they will answer. Something is very strange."

When Fanten returned and asked her to accompany him she smiled and moved up beside him. "Fanten, this distrust these elves have worries me. We have always been on friendly terms. The Aszh-naghs would not certainly not cause it. In fact Iwould think they would be looking for allies. Have you learned any cause for this strange behavior?

Shalm trotted happily over to Fenris.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.