1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Boards O' Magick FAQ & Rules Updated

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Taluntain, May 12, 2001.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Everyone, and I mean EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU must go to http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/faq.html and read the updated FAQ. For those of you who have read it before, only read the "Can I post a reply in a topic more than once before someone else replies? IMPORTANT!" one.

And if you see anyone foolish enough to post doubles anywhere on the boards, just let them know about it and give them this link: http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/faq.html#doubles to read. That is, if you see wrong doing before we do.

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited May 12, 2001).]

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Thought it was all over yet? Well you thought wrong! More rules to bang you over the head with!

This time I've fixed some leftover mistakes AND added another IMPORTANT! section. Read all about it at http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/faq.html

And comply, of course.

3. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Too much to read there.

4. Cerryl Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

No offense intended Taluntain but some of those rules are just pedantic. I'm fairly sure that most people don't do alot of the things you're putting rules up about, and I don't think that having the rules will stop a newbie anyway. The simple fact of the matter is, is that when a newbie registers they don't read the FAQ. The first time I read the faq was to find out about the new avatars, and this was after being here for about 2 months. And the only times after were when a post was put up about it.

5. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Which is why he puts up the posts. I didn't read the FAQ either before posting, but once I saw his post I read thru it. I think I'm complying!

*challenges anyone to say otherwise*

6. Sintek Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Well, it is their board and not a democracy. If they want to make rules - now matter how Nazi they may be - it's their choice and at their discretion to enforce them.

This post brought to you by the word "their."

7. Cerryl Gems: 9/31

I'm not promoting anarchy here it's just that to me a large number of those rules were fairly obvious. I don't think I broke a single one before reading the FAQ. And after reading the FAQ I thought that actually having rules for things, that for me were just common sense, was just being pedantic.

8. The Wise The Grey Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Wow, welcome to the new and 'improved' Sorcerer's Place, where political correctness reigns supreme. How very sad...

Gee Tal, with some of those rules, you wouldn't happen to be the proverbial pot calling the kettle black now, would you? I know that you've sworn in quite a few of your posts, and I know that you've flamed a select few that deserved it. I understand that there must be an order of sorts, and that rules are necessary - to an extent. But, if I wanted to deal with some of that shit, I'd go back to highschool.

If someone is excessively trashing or being trashy, I don't see the harm in emailing them a stern warning. We all know what too much is.

I, for one, will continue to swear if I feel that it's necessary. And, if somebody needs a new asshole, I'll be more than happy to tear one for them

- The Wise, The Grey

9. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I reckon ignorantnewbies should be cut a little slack. They'll learn in time. eg when I was (very)new, I used to do a lot of "I agree/disagree" with no justification and "I don't know but would also like to know", but I like to think that I've grown out of that.

[This message has been edited by Ironbeard (edited May 27, 2001).]

10. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Well light breaking of some rules (like swearing for instance) will be tolerated; when said in context. But that rule was meant to point out that posts with only "Fuck off you asshole faggot" and similar will not be tolerated for example.

Sure, Cerryl pointed out that most of the rules seem obvious to people. Well, guess what? They are not. They are obvious to you, me and maybe 50% of people. Everyone else has yet to learn some basic manners unfortunately. Trust me, I'm speaking from experience. The FAQ/Rules was compiled from my own observations of what was wrong on this board, and what annoyed me the most. Practically all newbies make the same mistakes in the beginning. What easier way to fix that than let them know of the EXACT rules as soon as they register here?
    If they think the rules are too restrictive, that's fine by me. There are plenty other boards out there where anything goes. No one is forcing anyone to come here.

And all our newbies WILL read it any comply unless they want to have their account terminated, I made sure of that: http://www.sorcerers.net/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi?action=agree

As people are saying... Rules have changed since you registered. And all of them there only bring more coherence to the boards, and improve them, no matter how some of you feel about it. Everyone who is posting here knows that I'm much more strict as far as moderation goes than 95% of similar forums out there. If I werent, this place would have turned into such a mess already that we'd probably have to close it down on a weekly basis to ban all offenders and delete about 50 topics.
    But at the rate we're going now, there are only isolated cases when we have to discipline anybody. We only have 4 bans out of 1500 people registered. Show me another forum with such stats. All the credit for it goes to strict moderating, believe it or not.

11. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I believe many of you are making too much out of the "new" rules. These things have always been frowned upon here, they just haven't always been written down.

Nothing has really changed. Now that it's codified, if we feel that someone is getting out of hand, we don't need to deal with the excuse of ignorance of what the rules are; they're there in black and white for everyone to see.

Now if we have to come down on someone for frequent and flagrant disregard of the rules, they should not be surprised.

Eh... looks like Tal beat me to it... :)

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited May 22, 2001).]

12. Taluntain

Media:
    No matter, you've only expanded on what I wanted to say. Hopefully more people will get it now. ;)

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited May 22, 2001).]

13. Arkados Blackmire Gems: 7/31

aha Taluntain, u doubled ur first post. lol.

14. The Wise The Grey Gems: 7/31

If I ever go too far, I would expect to be told so by either you, Blackthorne, or Darien. I've always been one for pushing limits - finding room to breathe within the bounds of rules - but I almost always try to do it with some class and/or cleverness. When I read the new rules, I felt those walls creeping too close. That's why I 'said' what I said. Not that you asked for an explanation, but I felt I'd offer one; nonetheless. I know I've ruffled some feathers around here before, but I've yet to receive a stern warning, so I guess I'm not that bad off. This here is the one and only message board/forum I have ever seen or posted on, so I'm not familiar with the trash that can be found elsewhere. If it's anything like Yahoo Chat, then I don't blame you a bit for trying to hold the reins tight.

I guess all I'm really trying to say is that while I don't always follow rules, I still keep logic and common sense close at hand. It always gets me hot when others try to regulate my behavior. If I get out of line, let me know. In the meanwhile, I'm just gonna be me.

Good day to you all...

[Your behavior here has been fine as far as I'm concerned. I can't remember a time where I thought you might need a reprimand... BTA]

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited May 23, 2001).]

15. Taluntain

Media:
    Arkados, if you'd bother to read the Rules about double posting, you'd see why this would be allowed.

16. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31

What about people with cruddy internet connections who keep jamming on the Submit Reply button for over a minute and then it starts to load and you have two identical posts.

17. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

They can go back and delete one of them!

18. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

No they can't. At least I can't.

So in those occasions I just edited second note to tell mods I'm guilty, I know it, but can't delete it.

19. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Sorry, you are right. Checked it just now. I've always thought you could delete your posts, except the one starting the topic. Must be a habit from another forum.

20. Taluntain

Media:
    In that case you can just leave two of them, any moderator will delete the first one of the two. Or you can edit one and put MODS PLEASE DELETE THIS in it, and it will happen.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.