1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Books with stories that really happened

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by The 'good' guy, Jan 17, 2004.

1. The 'good' guy Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] Do you like books with story's that really happend :confused:
    I do like them since I read one book :D
    Most of the times you feel that you are the headcharacter :lol:

[ January 20, 2004, 12:55: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    That depends. Sometimes, books based on real events can be awsome, sometimes they just suck. Something really cool can be turned into something really bland, or vice versa.

*tries to force herself to start reading a bunch of SAS novels but ccan't be bothered*

3. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Well I love the Sharpe novels. All of the events took place, but the main character is fictional.

4. The 'good' guy Gems: 3/31

[​IMG] I've did read a book of Dave Pelzer, that was (as I think) a really good book

5. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Dave Pelzer's autobiography had me crying like a damn baby within the first 2 pages. :wail: :wail:

I seem to be crying like a baby a lot lately, maybe I'm really a woman? ;)

Books about real events can be pretty cool if they're events that you find interesting. I mean, I probably wouldn't enjoy any SAS novels because that's just not interesting to me (though a magazine article is a completely different thing) but on the other hand, I'm geting a real fascination for Japan-related books.

And actually, one of the more enjoyable series I've read recently was Christian Jacq's Ramses books which are fictitious accounts of what most likely happened during the reign of Ramses II.

6. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Also known as "non-fiction" well, yeah, I like many of those.

Biographies can be excellent as long as the person you read about is interesting. Books about historical events likewise as long as you have some interest in the subject matter.

The two that made the most impression on me were: "Kinder auf dem Bahnhof Zoo" or some such by a Berlin herion adddict. Heavy, but quite compelling. Biography wise - Translated: "It concerns you too" written by a Norwegian jew who was sent to concentration camp during WWII. Well written very moving; also it did live up to it's title. Any Norwegians out there, you should read it if it is still in print, though I cannot remember the author. (Norwegian title - Det angaar ogsaa deg. Excuse the aa's - I can't be doing with changing the KB).

Overall though, anything historical if you're interested is worth a read, since us "youngsters" (I wish) never really know enough about the past.

:)

7. The 'good' guy Gems: 3/31

Those books are really the best books I've ever read.
    So I'm going to buy all his books!

8. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I'm learning to enjoy historical fiction and biography.

Pick up Killer Angels by Shara. A great "really happened" story of Gettysburg. Very compelling, also confusing ... I really liked those Rebels!

Steven Ambrose's biographies are the best. Band of Brothers (Airborn troops from D-Day to VE Day), Undaunted Courage (Louis and Clark) were both great books. I'm waiting to get more.

So, yes, I like them.

But, no, I don't feel like I'm the main character ... less so than I do in "typical" fiction. While I can pretend /daydream about being a knight in shining armor ... I can't really daydream about being John Adams.

9. tabari Gems: 3/31

Seven Years in Tibet is a good one. Better than the movie to me.

10. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

you got to read everything by Colleen McCullough.
    Her books about The fall of the Roman republic is some of the best books out there.

11. The 'good' guy Gems: 3/31

Thanks, now I know which books I HAVE to read.
    If you know more books, tell me!

Isn't there anyone that knows more about this kind of books?

[ January 27, 2004, 21:46: Message edited by: The 'good' guy ]

12. Aldazar Gems: 24/31

Well, I thoroughly enjoyed both of Mick Foley's autobiographies - A Tale Of Blood and Sweatsocks as well as Foley Is Good. Pretty much any auto/biography is bound to be pretty good.

13. The 'good' guy Gems: 3/31

Well, I will just pick a few books out of this list and will read them.
    I think when I must read all the books named in this topic, it is going to cost me a fortune :)

14. Aldazar Gems: 24/31

Another one to try is Schindler's Ark by Australian author Thomas Kenneally. Engrossing yet disturbing stuff.

15. The 'good' guy Gems: 3/31

Did you ever read dutch books, they are really worth it!
    You should try one, when you have time :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.