1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

!@#$% Bureaucracy!

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Blackthorne TA, Jun 26, 2001.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] As some of you know, I've been without DSL at home for over a month now because Relay Point who was providing my service through my ISP using leased lines from Pacific Bell went bankrupt.

So about a month ago, my ISP and PacBell decided that we all had to reapply for DSL service at a higher rate ($60 vs. $45 per month). OK I figured $15 more is not so bad to get back up quickly with my same ISP again, so I reapplied.

So yesterday I get a message saying PacBell has cancelled my order because I'm now too far away from the central office for DSL. Mind you I haven't picked up my two-story house and moved it anywhere.

So I call my ISP saying there must be some mistake because I just had the service with absolutely no problems only a month ago. They say, yeah, PacBell has recently shortened the maximum distance, so a lot of customers are being left out in the cold.

So I call PacBell to tell them that I had absolutely no problems with the service and was very happy with it; can they not make special arrangements with people who they know had the service and had no complaints. Well, no, because we're such a @%$!?* huge company now our left hand can't tell the right hand what to do and there's no way we can get them to push it through no matter if we put all kinds of special instructions on the order.

Is that not outrageous?! I am so pissed off at that BS bureaucracy! I now have investments in the *&%$!@ DSL equipment and installation that are now essentially useless to me! :mad:

Ah well, at least they offer cable modem connections in my area too, and it's cheaper to boot...

2. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Yikes! BTA I feel for ya. I cannot believe that PacBell would use a different criteria for DSL maximum distance! Sounds like very poor customer relations on the part of PacBell. I'm assuming that you bought your digital modem and associated hardware, are there any other digital providers in the area? Those DSL rates seem quite high as well, $60/month, yikes. I pay $35 Canadian to get ADSL to my remote igloo here :D

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah, I'm sure there are other DSL providers out there, and I looked briefly on the net and found nothing under ~$50. And besides, now that I've gone through this experience, how do I know what are the stable companies and what aren't?

And yes, I did buy the digital modem which is really the only hardware (besides the wiring) that I can't use with cable internet.

My cable company is offering a good deal for digital cable and cable internet service (including free installation and $100 off a modem purchase) right now, so I'm going to look into that...

4. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] Bel;

As a rule of thumb - all telecommunication companies stink to high heaven (I should know, I work for one!)

Honestly, the return on investment with DSL is not what most companies were expecting. Because of this, they are ripping the DSLAMs out of the neighborhoods and consolidating them in urban districts. Because of this, the DSL footprint is being reduced dramatically.

That is the technically "right" answer.

My salesman answer, "Why don't you buy a T1 from me?"

The answer you want to hear, "Those $#%&( jerks! How dare they insult one of the world's brightest, up-and-coming lawers!?!?!"

5. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Heh heh... Wrong Guy Mat :)

The funny thing is I'm in part of the city of Los Angeles; if that's not urban, then nothing is! :)

Oh and one other ludicrous thing is that they told me other providers may have longer maximum distances and would hook me up, but even though they (PacBell) refuse to offer me the service, they can't recommend anyone else either! Not "I don't know anyone else" but "I know, but I can't tell you". Ah what is this country coming to? :)

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited June 26, 2001).]

6. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

BTA - sorry! I'm not sure if its an insult that I confused you with Bel. I was trying to figure out how Pac Bell was offering DSL on the East Coast . . .

Chalk it up to too little sleep + no enough coffee.

You also have a first hand experience at the mental level we @ the Telecom companies have! ;)

7. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    BTA, look into Earthlink. With them I get my DSL for $40 a month, and got free installation. Plus, my dad asked the computer guys at Pitzer College (where he teaches)for an ethernet card, so we got that for free as well. Didn't have to buy the modem. I live in Claremont (30 or so miles East of LA, squished inbetween Upland, Pomona, Montclair, etc.)

8. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    They must have increased their rates since you got it then... They were one of the companies I checked out and they offer $49.95 for a dynamic IP (which I would prefer not to have, but I'd live with it) or $64.95 for a static IP. Also, they require a 12 month contract.

I can get my cable internet service for 29.95 for the first 3 months and 34.95 after that with no contract.

9. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Hey BTA, I've got a great idea -> why not dust off the old 56k analog and get a dial-up account! ;) No need to thank me, I give ideas for free! :D

The price I quoted earlier ($35.00/month) was indeed for a dynamic ip, however I do get two of them.

[This message has been edited by Lord Moeken (edited June 26, 2001).]

10. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Moeken - I've been using my old 28.8 modem for the past month or so while this has been going on! My ISP provided dialup for free until it was resolved, but I'm going to lose that on Monday.

I've got the cable guy coming out on Saturday to hook me up though, so hopefully everything will go smoothly, but I'll have a new email address (what a PITA :) ).

11. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] adsl suks anyhow..lol, i have heard of nothing but problems with it being down and all.

I love my cable, here they offer free installation, free modem, and free first month... cant beat that!

[This message has been edited by Darien Noella (edited July 07, 2001).]

12. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    [​IMG] Actually, as I stated above, I had no problems whatsoever during all the time I had ADSL (well over a year I'd say) and was very happy with the speed I was getting (1.2Mbps most of the time). But I'll be damned if I'll recommend PacBell ADSL to anyone now... :)

13. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] BTA - That sucks man! I definitely feel for you! I've had a cable modem for about 2 months now, and I love the speed. I think I had DSL at work, because it was even faster than this.

It's incredible how poor customer service levels in general have been of late. My cell phone bill has been wrong for the past 3 months by over $300.00! Every month I call, ask to have it corrected - and every month it comes up wrong again! It is amazing how piss poor things are - especially in the communications industry.

The US is moving closer and closer to a strictly service oriented economy...But the service is getting BAD!

BTW - I am honored that I was mistaken for tha totally cool BTA in the posts above! I feel sooooo popular!!!! :D :D :D

14. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    [​IMG] LOL! Don't get me started on cell phones! :)

My folks this past weekend bought a couple of new cell phones to replace one their dog got a hold of.

They decided to switch services to a plan they liked better. They try the new phones in the house and get no antenna signal strength, so they go outside into the middle of the residential street and call the customer service. They (customer service)say, you shouldn't expect to be able to use a cell phone in the house! We all know what BS that is, especially since they had phones before that worked flawlessly in the house, so they ignore customer service and decide to take the phones back and cancel the service (which they had 3 days to do).

So, they take them back and the rep at the store is talking with the provider to cancel the service and get a full refund. The provider keeps saying, but they used all these minutes! Finally, confused, the rep at the store asks what do you mean by "all these minutes"? The provider on the other end of the phone says 11 minutes (which were all the minutes they spent talking to customer service)!

Can you believe all that nonsense?!

I agree with you Bel; service has nothing to do with serving the customer anymore, it's serving the corporate bottom line...

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited June 26, 2001).]

15. Vandalore Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Yeah, I think it's bull shiot for calling customer service with your cell phone and getting charged for it, but that's another story. Companies can offer lower rates because they charge so freaking much for tech support. <generally not all companies>

BTA - here's some food for thought. Cable and DSL are available in our area.. the lines are laid and the technology is there, but for some reason we can't get the service but right over our fence, my neighbor can. Yeah it's horse shtt. We're two differen't apartment complexes granted but we should be able to get the same services (I still believe the two complexes are owned by the same company). So yeah, I don't even have an internet connection (I don't even bother using free dialup with banners any more, I hate tying up the phone line). So I just parade across the fence and use the university's connection. Eh it sucks, but it works for me.

16. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

AT&T raised my cable rates on me a few weeks back too, from 40 to 50 dollars USD.

But I found a way around it. :) 100m of Cat5 to the neighbor's house gets me a monthly check for $10. I'm so naughty.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.