1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Buyin' a Game Today...Need a Rec

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Death Rabbit, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    So I haven't purchased a new game in over 6 months. This is a very long stretch for me. The last game I purchased was the excellent Galactic Civilizations II: Dark Avatar. It's second expansion is coming out soon, but not soon enough.

My current top candidates are:

- BioShock*
    - Sins of a Solar Empire
    - Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare*
    - Some other nice RTS

* Though I easily meet the minimum specs, I'm concerned that I don't have high enough specs to really enjoy them and/or don't know how well they scale downward.

Recommendations? Danke.

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I play CoD4 almost every day since I bought it. The multiplayer is like a drug. I think CoD4 scales down really well, one guy I knew had it running on his laptop.

3. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I bought Bioshock recently, but can't say that I would recommend it to anyone. The plot has some interesting twists to it, but the twists are for the most part fairly predictable. The plot is rail roaded with no options to do anything else, just like the game itself, which is entirely too linear to be able to compete with games like Deus Ex and STALKER. The vaunted moral choice system applies only to a single aspect of the game, and even though I took the evil bastard route through the game, I never really felt like I was doing wrong. Which makes the (evil) ending feel a bit disconnected from the rest of the game. Yahtzee summarises that part fairly well.

It's not a bad game, but it's rather bland, and I would certainly recommend getting STALKER over this game anytime.

I can run it with most options on on a nearly two year old rig, on which it will do on average 40 fps, so I guess it will run fairly well on your machine as well.

4. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    I thought BioShock was boring after the beginning. Good idea, but kind of repetitive. Don't recommend it.

CoD 4: Codpiece was an interesting war FPS (= not Tom Clancy or WW II) with an unusually good story (= it had a story). The multiplayer is much better than average as well: balanced, fun, knifebattles and last stands (instead of dying you can empty your sidearm on the nearest foes or kill yourself).

5. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    I'd go with Call of Duty IV, too.
    It's fun to play, feels like a movie sometimes, and although you can finish single player missions pretty fast, there's the multiplayer to keep you occupied.

Not too demanding, either. It ran just fine on my computer, and it's hardly top of the line.

True. :)

6. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I agree whit the issue of Bioshock.

7. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Thanks for all the recs. I didn't end up buying one that day, maybe this weekend - but I did settle on CoD4. It was going to be BioShock, since it dropped in price recently, but I have yet to hear anything even remotely negative about CoD4, so there ya go. :)

Thanks y'allz.

8. Fairie Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Media:
    Regardless of whether you bought either yet... :p

I've only played CoD4 and Bioshock, and I'd have to recommend CoD4. I was utterly blown away by it, it's awsome. Controls are a bit fiddley, but once you get used to it it's all gravy.
    Story line is the best I've seen in a game for a long time.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.