1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Buying a new TV

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Cap'n CJ, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    So, it's that time of year when my bank balance swells, and i'm thinking about blowing it all on a new TV.

I've decided on 32", as I have space limitations. At the moment, the top contender is the Sony KDL32S3000

Can any of you suggest anything? I'm looking to spend £400 max.

Cheers in advance

Chris

2. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I just bought a 32 inch Samsung 720P last month!
    Love it.

Samsung and Sony are the top of the line in the 32" class imo after weeks of research before buying. I went with Samsung because it was $50 cheaper when I bought it; $649 to Sony's $699.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Sony if you're willing to shell out a bit extra, Samsung otherwise. I love Bravias. Don't forget to use an SP link if you're buying at Amazon!

4. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    look for the 1080 full hdmi label. Look at the number of hdmi ports. xbox360, pc all can be plugged in best by hdmi 1080.

The old label is HD ready. The new label is HD ready 1080. So you have to decide to go or the previous generation of hd ready 720, whit is not bad at all, or the next 1080 full hd.

No need to mention that the 720 are on sale.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  5. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Go with Samsung.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC, Samsung makes the LCD panels for Sony anyway.

Vizio is also a great TV brand, however, while their LCD panels often get great reviews, their TV offer few features...but hey, they're cheaper. I told my dad to buy a Vizio because he's cheap, and he'll never need 90% of the connections "high end" TVs offer.

That said, you want full HD (1080p) with a 120Hz refresh rate. The latter remedies the ghosting you see during fast motion. :rolling:

6. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Panasonic also makes some solid TVs - my buddy has a 1080p 52" LCD and it looks amazing.

7. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

When I bought my 32" LCD two years ago I did some extensive research. The final three brands on my list were Sony, Panasonic and Samsung. When it came time to pick out the TV price and picture quality were the most important part of my final decision. I ended up with a Panasonic.

1. Sony price was twice that of the Panasonic and Samsung
    2. Samsung picture quality was on the video game graphical side compared to the Sony and Panasonic

I ended up with the Panasonic because it had a better price and better picture quality. If I could do it again I would have waited a few more weeks and purchased a Vizio 1080P 42" LCD for the same price as I paid for my Panasonic, which by the way is a little bit higher than what most are paying now for 32" LCD TVs.

If you have the money I recommend going for a Sharp 32" 1080p or the Samsung 25" LCD / Monitor 1080p.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.