1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Buying a PS2 in Sydney...

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Faraaz, May 25, 2005.

1. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Well...since my old PS2 went kaput, I've been thinking of chipping in with my roommate and buying a new PS2.

I wanted the cheapest solution available, don't mind buying a second hand console if its in good condition either.

But I'm having a hard time finding a decent buy...all I get is that new slim PS2 thing, which costs 250 dollars!

Can anyone else here help me find a good deal for a PS2?

2. Istolil Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Check local video game stores that sell console systems. They may sell refurbished ones at a discounted price. More so if you get one without controllers if yours still work. I can get a used PS2 in my town for around 150$ CDN. I don't know what you have there but I go to stores like EB Games, Microplay and so on. Shop around and see what you can find. I even found a 3DO system for 20$ looked like new too. But make sure you get some kind of warranty with them just in case. Better safe than sorry.

3. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Playstation 3 is coming out soon, so I would save money for that instead.

4. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Agreed. It'll have, what, 150 times the power?

5. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Which will approximate to around 1/1000th of the power of my current PC.

@Farraz - So you're in Sydney right- try going to EB games - you can pick up pre-owned X-Boxes there for 150, with a warrenty. I'm pretty sure you can get similar deals on PS2's

6. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Stu- wrong. PS3 is going to have processing power of, well, have a look. Do you have a clustered supercomputer? And I was wrong with my estimate in the last post. It's 1000 times. Damn, that thrashes Moore's Law.

Statistics:
    8 cores (1 Power Architecture, 7 SIMD)
    9 threads
    Peak floating-point at 211gigaflops
    The last stat is the most important. Compare it to 96 for the 360 and a typical enthusiast PC at-the-moment might be looking at 20. And we don't know about the graphics. People are throwing around terms like "2 teraflops".
    And it's gonna be ~$600-800, compared to >$3000 for a good PC.

And just FYI, I'm not raving because of any other reason other than being a techhead. I've never bought a console before.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.