1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Can't save FF-8 on my PS2!!

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Faraaz, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Hey, I been trying to play FF-VIII on my PS2, and I've got a standard PS2 8 MB memory card. Whenever I try to save, it says "Failed to check memory card". I have around 6000 KB free on the card, so it can't be lack of space.

Any ideas on what I can do to rectify this?

2. You need a PS1 memory card to save Playstation 1 games. With a PS2 memory card you can only save PS2 games.

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

stupid question, but i just have to clarify as i will be playing FFVII on my ps2 soon; will the ps1 memory card work in the ps2 console?

4. Yes, it will.

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

right, thanks.

6. Thor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

As long as it is an original sony card it will. If it ain't it might not work. I have a joytech card, and it will nae work at all.

The reason you need a ps1 card for ps1 games is quite simple really. On the ps1 they rely on "save-blocks." One saveblock = One savegame (mostly)
    On the ps2 however, they rely on MB. One savegame = X MB

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

what a hassle. they should have made it so that the ps2 memory cards could save ps1 files. the ps1 memory cards are so unreliable. i was about to start disc2 on my FFVII game when my little brother dropped the memory card on the floor. when i tried to load, there was NOTHING on the memory card. the damn fall wiped it clean. what a pisser, considering something like 25 hours was already logged on the damn thing. thats the sort of thing that sends you back to replaying BG2..

8. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Ugh...this means I have to buy a PS1 memory card now? :flaming: That is very annoying...oh well.

9. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Or you could play it on your PC through emulation.

PS1 cards are cheap now anyways.

10. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    You can save the FF Anthologies on PS2 Memory cards, thats FFV & IV, or atleast it worked for me!

I think it works cos they were made when the PS2 was coming out, unlike FF VII & VIII etc.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.