1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Censorship and thought control in Canada

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by LKD, Jan 17, 2011.

1. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Compared to recent events, this is small potatoes, I realize that, but dammit, it pisses me off no end. To summarize for those who don't follow the link, a non-elected, industry self regulatory body has tried to forbid the playing of the album version of Dire Straits famous song Money For Nothing due to the heinous use of the word "faggot" in it -- 3 times no less! The horror!

The CBSC did this after receiving a complaint from one -- count it, one! -- fricking person. The song has been around since 1985, I believe, and has never been linked to an act of violence against homosexuals. In fact, anyone who has half a brain can clearly see that the song is actually a searing indictment of redneck reactionary attitudes.

Going back several decades to find a song to censor reminds me of my good buddy Winston Smith's job in 1984, wherein his job was to alter newspaper stories from the past to bring them into line with current orthodoxy. Un --fricking believable. I am right pissed off. So are a lot of other people, including a number of homosexuals, who feel that there are bigger fish to fry.

Fortunately, the CBSC has no real teeth (similar to the Comics Code folks) and so my local radio station played the unedited song for 1 solid hour on Friday night.

So, tell me folks, should western society expend energy to censor songs that have been around for 25+ years? Is this the world that civil rights activists envisioned? Or should I be more sensitive tot he feelings of minorities and recognize their right to never be offended ever?

2. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    I think, if the minorities themselves disagree with the censorship, it's a lost cause. It was before it was begun. Seriously, this is just plain ridiculous.

3. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] People will often find reasons to be offended over something. ;)

I'm more amused that someone has sat down, listened to a song and gone "Wait, did they say faggot? ... Yes, they said it again... surely not... a THIRD time?! Oh my delicate sensibilities! I must alert the media! Twenty five years and how did they miss this atrocity?!"

Reminds me of something Kev mentioned about an advert banned because a ten year old complained about it. One ten year old. I didn't really believe it to be honest so don't have the link. Seems strange that one complaint can get something banned.

If I complain I get a pat on the head and a "that's nice dear" in a condescending tone :p

Gaear likes this.
  4. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Reminds me of the movie Kick @ss. Some folks been complaining about child actor Chloe Moretz's character had been swearing profanities all over the film. But none of them ever noticed that her character brutally killed dozens of people. I guess some people just have brains the size of a pea.

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yep, completely misses the point of the song.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_for_Nothing_(song)

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I hear "Money for Nothing" song occassionally on the radio (usually on a classic rock station). The last couple of times I heard it, the entire part using the word faggot is edited out of the song. They just make to whole song about 40 seconds shorter, by deleting the entire lyrics from that section of the song. So in the US, they didn't ban the entire song, just the lyrics - which aren't that bad IMO. The deleted part of the song has the following lyrics:

That little faggot with the earings and the makeup
    Yeah buddy, that's his own hair
    That little faggot got his own jet airplane
    That little faggot, he's a millionaire

There was also another older song where I noticed lyrics were changed when I heard it in the car last week. It was Aerosmith's "Janie's Got a Gun". I remembered liking the song a lot when it was released - probably close to 20 years ago, and so I knew all the words to the song. I was surprised to see that the lyrics:

She had to take him down easy, and put a bullet in his brain

were changed to:

She had to take him down easy, and left him underneath the train

WTF?

7. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I find it ironic that everyone is always worried about the "Tyranny of the majority" when in actuality it will be the "Tyranny of the minority" which brings our society crumbling to its knees.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I've got one better from the US.

NewSouth Books is releasing a new edition of Mark Twain's "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" and "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" with the words "nigger" and "injun" removed.

Sanitising Huckleberry Finn FTW.

9. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

So who had the problem with the Ice-T song getting a warning in Hungary because of broadcast before 9 PM, eh? That song didn't include "faggot" but included the words f*** and many others that the SP forum auto-filters too. Are homosexuals more important than children?

Very true. Off-topic, but this is what the Hungarian Prime Minister will hopefully prevent in Hungary, i.e. that some left-liberal minority is going to tell what values must be accepted by the conservative majority.

It's horrible, I just read in a Hungarian news site that in the USA some official forms (I don't remember exactly) will now contain the fields "Parent 1" and "Parent 2" instead of "Mother's name" and "Father's name". Where is the world going to?!

10. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    No it's what the religious right has envisioned, only "faggot" would probably be OK with them.

I actually live in Montgomery County. This is what I have to live with. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Oh the irony. Seeking to ban a book, in which one of the cetral themes contained is an anti-Utopian society and the dangers of banning certain reading material.

Talk about missing the point.

NOG (No Other Gods) likes this.
  12. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    *sigh*
    She objects to the burning of the Bible in the book... which is all about the wrongs of burning books (Bible included). Idiot! :bang:

13. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Taluntain, you derailed my thread! This is about Canada, says so right in the tagline. I demand an apology or else I'm gonna talk to the . . .site . . . . . . .admin. . . is . . tra . . . .

Oh, never mind! ;) :p :rolling::lol:

NOG (No Other Gods) likes this.
  14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There's something for everyone in this thread. :p

15. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    THAT WAS THE FINAL STRAW

(Okay, now there's something for everyone.) ;)

16. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

For anyone who cares about freedom of expression and artistic expression, the CRTC, the government department that really does have regulatory weight (a Canadian FCC, as it were) has asked the kangaroo court pieces of caribou feces at the CBSC to review their decision regarding Money for Nothing.

As you can tell, I am totally neutral in this matter.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.