1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ch. 5- Combination lock on treasury

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Bartholomew, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Bartholomew Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Have any of you ever successfully opened the combination lock on the treasury door by using the combination provided by the Viper's Fang Assassin and the Yuan-Ti cook? If so, can you please post or PM us a description of how exactly you succeeded in doing so? Having tested it over and over again, and having read the posts about it on this and other boards, I'm beginning to think that there's a bug in this and it just doesn't work since as far as I can tell everyone "cheats" it open. Any answer to the questions (1) is it possible at all, and (2), what is the trick to it, would be greatly appreciated!

[Edit: If you succeeded in getting it open by using another combination or random hitting of bricks, good for you, I can do that too, but what I want to know is if it is actually possible to do it "correctly", using the combination actually provided within the game. :p SPOILER: I've put the information available on the combination below so that if there is a bug, someone can help me identify exactly what it is.
    1st part- from Viper's fang Assassin: First the 10th brick, then the 3rd brick, then the 5th brick. So, 10-3-5.

2nd part- From Yuan-ti cook: "The 6th be the 4th. The stone that follows 1st be last. 5th is the number of fangs Ashra teaches." I would interpret this as 6-6-2, then, but that obviously isn't it since you aren't supposed to hit the same brick twice.

What works, as Modjahed indicated in his own walkthrough, is the combination 10-5-3-2-6-9 which as far as I can see is irreconcilable with the clues. Help please!]

[ November 22, 2002, 00:43: Message edited by: Bartholomew ]

2. Grey Ghost Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I have gotten the door to open without cheating by using the clues and by just playing around with the blocks until the darn thing opened. As I recall one of the "hints" given for the second part of the code was off by 1 block. I have the exact combo written down at home (I am at work right now) but I want to say the combo was something like:

10-3-5-2-6-9
    or 2-4-9

If no one else posts I'll edit this with my notes this afternoon...

3. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Thanks very much! I suspect it's the *first* part of the clue that is wrong, i.e. 10-3-5 instead of 10-5-3, but I don't want to write in the walkthrough that there's a mistake in the game and how to work around it unless I'm 100% sure.

4. Quint Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

It all depends how you number the stones/bricks.

I remember giving my understanding of this puzzle in a different thread here
    http://www.sorcerers.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=000579#000002

Here's a copy:

The "number of fangs ashra teaches" is 9, since there are 6 training and 3 in the side room.

(Edited to give correct combination)

[ November 23, 2002, 00:34: Message edited by: Quint ]

5. Grey Ghost Gems: 6/31

The combo that worked for me, or at least what I have in my notes, is this:

X 3 C X 6 X Door X 9 C X
    1 X 4 5 X 7 xxxx 8 X 10 11
    X 2 X X X X xxxx X X X X

numbers = stones
    X = spaces
    C = the columns on the wall
    Door is self explanatory
    Door code spoiler ahead
    the code is:
    10, 3, 5, 6, 9, 2

Quint: my take on the cook's message was what follows first (1) is second (2).

[ November 22, 2002, 23:54: Message edited by: Grey Ghost ]

6. Quint Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

You're absolutely right:
    10 3 5 6 9 2
    is the correct sequence. Mine is wrong! (don't know why I had that written down)

Actually that door can open many ways as the original poster said, but that combination is the one that fits with the riddle. (I went back and counted the number of viper fang students, there are 6 in the main room and 3 in the side room, so 9 is correct).

7. monkey Gems: 6/31

I never knew that someone told you the combo - on my second attempt i managed by guessing - bizarre

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.