1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Chaging Folders for programs?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Ofelix, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Maybe it's an odd and stupid question but still, I want to know what would happen if I changed the folder for a certain program? Let's say I want to change Baldur's Gate 2 place in my computer. Will changing it from C:bad:Program files\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate 2 - SOA to C:bad:Documents and Settings\Ofelix\Desktop\Games\Baldur's Gate 2 - SOA. Will it have any effect on the game?

2. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I think so, yes. It won't work. Not all game files are in the actual game folder, but in "hidden" folders like the registry. When you just move all the stuff from one folder to another, the stuff in the other folders will still think that the game is in the same folder, if you understand what I mean. Some things you can move directly, but for a game like BGII, it won't work, I've tried it.

3. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Maybe, for BG, changing path directories in the BG.ini file would work.
    But many others, you have to change the path in the register too in order to the program to work.

4. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Its pretty much hit and miss with games - some will handle the shift, others wont - the bright side is that you can put the game back in the old directory if everything screws up. I managed to get NBA Live 2006 to run from a dvd (after burning the entire game file to the disk). Other games (like Deus Ex: Invisable War) wont handle shifting from my C drive to my F drive (the original was fine with it though)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.