1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Changing the difficulty

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Shell, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    I'll probably sound really stupid and I bet it's really obvious - but how do I change the difficulty in IWD?

2. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I'll hang around with you and we can pretend we're not stupid until we know the answer Shell. I suspect that it's in the config part, i know it is in Bg2.

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah, just run the config in the Icewind Dale folder. Very first screen.

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Can't it also be reached via game options in game, under game-play? Or am I wrong?

5. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Yes, go into OPTIONS inside game, and press the one saying "GAMEPLAY (or some such) there shuold be a slider with easy-normal-hard. So you can set difficulty to "easy" for a fight if its though and then slide it back to normal afterwards.

6. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Like I said, but it will give you less XP right? Then avoid it at all costs!

7. raptor Gems: 16/31

I don't recal about "easy" in IWD1, but setting it to insnae wil yield more XP, And sometimes you meet a fight thats just to though atm, then i really dont mind getting a bit less XP for beating it and slide it back afterwards. Ill rather make up for it by slughtering some normal orcs on insne afterwards :)

8. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Unfourtunately in non-expansion games, setting it to 'easy' will lower XP gain. And the reverse is not applied. What a shame! :(

9. raptor Gems: 16/31

Hmm.... i was rather certain IWD1 gave you more XP on higher difficulties without the expantionpack... but i might be messing something up, i will try to remember to check it once i log into the other puter.

10. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I am %100 sure about it. Checked recently. Dropping the diff. will give a XP penalty, rising it will not yield extra. Man, this sucks hard. :(

11. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

My $.02:

Ahem... DON'T EVER CHANGE THE DIFFICULTY!!! Doing so changes the rules of the game, and that's just blasphemous. :shake: But if you do need to change it, an XP penalty isn't much to worry over.

12. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

If you're worried about lost XP there a many possible ways to gain an unlimted amount.

Example: respawning monsters if you reenter southeastern tomb in the vale of shadows or the upper dorn's deep cave or getting attacked while resting.

It's really idiotic that you get less XP when playing easy mode, so the game gets more and more difficult for people who have problems playing the game. BG1 had the same XP mechanics.

It's actually even harder to beat the game on constant very easy mode unless you kill respawning monsters.

With HoW you get more XP on easy levels which is more user-friendly. But they made the mistake to double the XP gain on the hardest level as well. So the game is even easier on very hard. (But it sounds more impressive ;) )
    That's also the reason why some players complained about the game being too easy.

13. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I really need HoF then. :wail:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.