1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Children do have Rights After All...

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Chandos the Red, May 22, 2008.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I thought the State of Texas was wrong from the beginning to seperate these families out-of-hand the way they did. It is a good day for children in Texas...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24777095/

2. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Your link isn't working for me (but bear in mind my computer sucks hairy ones). That said, I haven't followed this story much since the raid. Now I feel that what was going on at that ranch was pure evil, not to mention illegal as hell, and I'd bet that you feel similarly, so please fill me in on the details of what the state did that was detrimental to the children? Obviously I'm missing some details here.

[The link works for me... -Tal]

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2008
  3. Chandos the Red

Media:
    This is essentially what the court found in the case:

It seems the state cannot rip familles apart because it disagrees with their religious practices.

4. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    I don't see what this has to do with the childrens' rights. The mothers' and potentially fathers' rights, sure, but preserving the childrens' 'right' to a safe and healthy upbringing is what at issue in this entire case. Both sides are claiming they are serving that right.

5. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I can imagine that you probably don't like Nancy Grace much, but what she said last night on this topic struck home with me. I think those kids are in very real danger of emotional and sexual abuse, and a former FLDS woman who says she "escaped" (and don't let the quotes fool you, I myself firmly believe she escaped, but I want to emphasize that I think she escaped) says that the physical abuse, coupled with the isolation and degradation experienced by the females in the compound, is heinous.

I would say that the judges made a mistake here, but perhaps they were not presented with sufficient data. If that is the case, it's a sad day for those kids.

6. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Sounds more to me like they didn't have much evidence. But hey, if Nancy says she has the "scoop" on all those parents, then maybe she has something the courts haven't taken into consideration - like TV ratings and commercial sponsors....

Yes, that inspires confindence in the state.

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  7. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

nancy grace is SUCH an idiot! just look at her statements about the duke lacrosse players & you will never take anything she says seriously again. like chandos says(dang, there i go agreeing with him, AGAIN!) i don't have a lot of confidence in the state when they start meddling in the welfare of families.yes, i know that some of the kids were in trouble but this was akin to throwing the baby out with the bathwater! remember, one of the biggest lies of all times is : we're from the goverment & we're here to help. :)

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  8. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Hey, I take offense to that! I'm from the government, a state government even, and I DO help people! Of course, I mess up a lot of people to, but only when they're breaking the law!

And I see alot of people messing with other people either because they think they know things they actually don't, or more often just because they're lazy. Ok, I take it back, I'm not so much insulted by your statement as sullied by my work place. And they don't even pay well.

9. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I do not understand how so many people have a "we and them" relation to the government. Most of live in democracies but even if you don't the government is made up of people. The state and the government is all of us and everything they do they do in our name, we are the government it isn't some malevolent faceless machine. The only difference is that the government generally and hopefully have some clue as to what they are doing and why which is a whole lot more than I can say about most individuals. In any conflict between an individual and the government I am prone to side with the government for hte simple reason that it is much more likely that the individual is a complete moron than the government is in the wrong. This is not to say that the government is always right, far from it but only that it is or at least supposed to be an extension of us all and at least my government and bureaucracy has earned the benefit of my doubt in any situation. Individuals are very very often idiots while there are bound to be some reasonable people in any government agency.

10. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

joacqin, my poor lad, you have obviously never dealt with a large govt bureaucracy. they have no mind or sense, it simply follows rules set done even if they make no sense what so ever. government knowing what they are doing? yeah, thats why in the state of norht carolina when you get home owners insurance, by state law, you have to purchase outbuilding insurance even if you don't have an outbuilding! There are thousands of examples out there joacqin. the govt has mutated into a huge self serving mechanism & does what it will come h#!! or high water.

p.s. what i(& i think others) are trying to say are that we like our government but we don't trust the mechanisms that it uses. i think that sums it up.

11. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    joacqin,

There are bound to be both reasonable people and idiots in both the general population and in government agencies (including both elected officials and non-elected government employees). The problem is that if normal people do something stupid, they only screw up their own lives and maybe a few others. They pay the price for their own stupidity. When government does something stupid, it screws up for everybody. And everybody, except government, pays the price. Which means government doesn't have to think before it acts. And often doesn't.

Remember the old adage, The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. Well, the road to Hell on Earth is paved with other peoples' good intentions.

Even when government is elected, I don't trust it to be omniscient, omnipotent or for that matter omnibenevolent. But I do trust government to see me and my life as nothing but convenient means to government's aims.

I am NOT prone to side with government against the individual, for the simple reason that I have too often seen government trample all over individuals for whatever lofty goal government was pleased to call "The Common Good".

@martaug: By the way, it was Ronald Reagan who said that: The nine scariest words in the English language are, "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help!" :)

12. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    any large burocracy is inherrantly a rules-bound, inflexible mechanism, even if it is composed of the wisest and kindest people on Earth. The big problem with government, though, is that their rules are generally formed by commities, and they generally are NOT filled with the wisest and kindest people out there.

On the other hand, I would like to remind everyone that it is also the state that decided to send the children back. The DoCFS is only one section of the government, and the judicial branch is another.

13. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Isn't that an Oxymoron?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.