1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Choosing GFX card

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by chevalier, Aug 30, 2004.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I'm no longer on current terms with hardware news and I have to get a new GFX card soon.

Until recently, I had a Celeron 800, so my old RIVA TNT2 wasn't all that bad.

However, I made an upgrade before going on holiday and the old card slows down the new machine (didn't have enough money to get a GFX card with the other parts).

I don't need supernatural graphical power, but I want the card to keep up with the rest of it. Currently, I have Celeron 2.4 GHZ, 512 MB RAM in one chip and a fast hard drive. As you see, it's geared towards getting the max speed and reliability I could get for that price. I've always enjoyed good graphics, but I hate lag even more, especially when I'm playing multiplayer games. Speed is priority, though I wouldn't like to give up on quality altogether. I tend to go for max quality in multiplayer and max speed in multiplayer.

I don't do any engineering stuff or graphics rendering and fancy features are only needed for games and game editors.

Suggestions, please? GeForce or RadeOn, which model? As it's only really for gaming, I wouldn't like to spend more than about $100 on it.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The only thing you'll get for $100 is a GeForce FX 5200, which is decent enough (I use it myself). It doesn't support some of the new DX9 features, however, but unless you play a lot of the latest graphically intensive games, you don't need it either.

3. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

GeForce 4 Ti-4600 is still a valid choise, even though it is , by now, about a year old product (it was the flagship of nVidia).

4. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

5. chevalier

Media:
    @Tal: Any problems launching games that require DX9?

6. Rednik Gems: 21/31

I could field that one.

With DX9 games, at least the majority of them, you can play, but you don't get all the bells and whistles, such as dynamic lighting, shadows and crap.

7. chevalier

Media:
    Ah, good. My chief concern is being able to run the game at all. Things won't launch on my Riva no matter what :(

8. Rednik Gems: 21/31

Well, the reasoning is this: If a GeForce 3 can run Doom3 and the game looks pretty good, then you don't have much to worry about.

What kind of games are you planning on running with new gfx card?

9. DrowLicious Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I have a setup similar to yours (2.4ghz P4, 512MB) and I bought a ATI Radeon 9600xt 128mb DDR. It is an extremely stable card (the Catalyst software is topnotch) and gives you all the power you need without the high cost of the 9800pro or higher. I recommend it over the Nvidia's myself due to the fact my friends were all Nvidia users but eventually switched to ATI Radeons. There are a lot of customizable settings with the Radeon, an Overdrive feature, and a great interface that's easy to use. It easily handles any normal game like NWN cranked at high quality mode, and can handle more intense games like Prince of Persia, Max Payne 2, and Combat Flight Simulator 3.

For total dominance i'm upgrading to a gig of RAM to allow me to crank my settings all the way up on Flight Simulator 3 without ANY slight stutters or millisecond lag. I'm very picky and the 9600XT has perfromed great. It supports DX9.0 of course. Bottom line it makes games look incredible and i've had no problems whatsoever with a variety of different games.

It cost me 200 bucks about 8 months ago. It may be slightly cheaper now. But it lets me get Half-Life 2 for free when it FINALLY comes out.

10. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Radeon 9800 XT...it'll prob'ly be around 120 $ or so, if you can find a good deal, but if you don't mind spending a few extra dollars on it, that lil extra will go a long way in getting you a sizable performance boost.

I'm getting one with my new computer myself. :D

11. Rednik Gems: 21/31

Dude, 9800 XT is 300 bucks minimum, the only lower price is on EBay, which is not a good place to get a video card(for obvious reasons).

12. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Whoa...really? Wheeew...that's heaps.

I'm getting mine with my Dell desktop...and it costs me around $ 150 to upgrade from onboard video chip to a 9800 XT. I didn't know just the card on the market was that expensive!!

Anyway...in that case, 9600 XT looks to be the best option my friend.

13. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Slightly off-topic, but the 9800XT is ridiculously over-priced for what you get. You can get a 9800 Pro for about half the price and only sacrifice about 10% in performance; alternatively, you could spend less than $100 more, get an X800 Pro, and improve your performance by at least 50% minimum.

Faraaz, are you sure you were upgrading from on-board graphics to 9800XT? Maybe it started with something other than on-board graphics, and you were upgrading from there? Or maybe you're not getting a 9800XT - perhaps a 9800 Pro or 9600XT instead? $150 seems like such a good price that it sounds suspicious. Or maybe it's something specific to laptops (which I am not really familiar with).

[ September 01, 2004, 15:34: Message edited by: Splunge ]

14. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

@Splunge: Meh, I'm not very sure myself Splunge. And remember, that the figures I had were in AUD, which I converted on the fly, so you might not want to be too specific about the figures I quoted.

I was just recommending to Chev that he might want to hold out a while, so that he can get the 9800, which is a much better card.

15. Rednik Gems: 21/31

Acrually, after doing some searching, the new PCI-X cards by ATI(or made by a sub-company like MSI or Powercolor) are better than the 9800 series, with twice the bandwith thanks to PCI-Express, and are priced to move.

The X300 is around 125 and the X600 is around 160 and up.

16. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    True, but then you'd need a new motherboard, and (to get back to chev's situation) I don't think he wants to spend that much.

17. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

interested in second hand product?

18. Rednik Gems: 21/31

Forgot that you need the PCI-X mobo, which at this point is limited to 915/925 I think. Yeah, that sucks.

19. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Especially since he would need new RAM as well. And PSU. And CPU. Since the new PCI-X mobos throw out all legacy tech.

20. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Just to put my two-penneth worth in.

I recently had a P3-500MHz machine, 192Mb Memory and to keep it going I installed a GeForce4 MX400 card. To be honest, my machine still outperforms (my son has this machine now) many of my relatives machines that are P4-2000 and P4-2600.

I have upgraded now. P4-2800, 512Mb memory, WinXP and a new graphics card - Radeon 9200. And it runs beautifully. I have always been a big fan of ATI cards, which have always been very reliable and only went to nVidia because of the cost.

I would recommend the Radeon cards. The most cost effective being the 9600 or 9200 (which is even cheaper). To be honest, whichever you get you will be deeply satisfied and much better than what you had.

Besides which, in a years time the 9800+ will be less than $100 and we'll be wondering why people are still using the ancient 9200/9600 cards.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.