1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

CIA prison in Eastern Europe

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by khaavern, Nov 3, 2005.

1. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Some highly disturbing news in this WashPost article.

Apparently, as a part of the war on terrorism, the CIA has set up secret detention facilities in a number of places (outside of US, of course, since the law would not permit some things here). These serve the purpose of holding and interrogating prisoners of the war on terror (with not much regard to the niceties of law, I would expect). All this with utmost secrecy:

Looks like the US has truly institutionalized the practice of torture. What's most disturbing, apparently such a site is located in one (or more) East European country.
    I would think this is a particularly sensitive matter, given the fact that most of Eastern Europe just came out from under repressive regimes. One can only imagine what sort of public reaction would arise in the country involved after learning of such matters.

2. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I'm not surprised that they have such facilities. I've heard talks about similar facilities in Syria and Guantanamo is really not all that secret. In the local news they said that baltic states such as Estonia and Latvia might be involved. I'm a bit surprised that such a facility exists here in Europe but then in the fear of Russia many of these states have turned to lick the US and basically do whatever they say in order to gain their friendship. Not that Russia poses a serious threat to any of them these days, but I guess their history has left them with some traumas which will not disappear so easily.

It kind of troubles me and disgusts me how these things seems to be taken so lightly in the US. Yes I know that plenty of people are against this sort of policies but how the government manages to get away this secrecy and plain disregard for human rights without any serious consequences is just astonishing. Hopefully atleast history will recognize these crimes against humanity if this generation won't.

EDIT: Fixed the name of Latvia which I called in my post Livonia. Sorry for the mistake.

[ November 03, 2005, 13:37: Message edited by: Morgoroth ]

3. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

It's somewhat disturbing to have such facilities in Poland (if this is true that is) as it's violating human rights (but on the other hand terrorists violate those laws too, they kill for example 100 people and still they must have a trial and so on)

4. khaavern Gems: 14/31

Right, but this is the differences between rule of law and ... Any criminal violates the rights of his victims, this does not mean he should be not treated in accordance with law.

Let's see, so far Slovenia and Bulgaria have put out statements saying that they do not harbor such facilities (and Russia, too, but I do not think anybody thought that was a possibility). How about the other E Europe countries? What's in the local press about this issue?

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Wonder what Poland's going to say... Things are surprisingly still here...

6. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

No comments yet. This was today's news so we have to wait till tomorrow :)
    But our politicains swear that there are no such facilities on Polish territory.

But sometimes I find it sick when, for example, one maniac killer gets a machine gun, walks to a bank, kills all inside and just sits and waits for the police to come. Then he would be arrested, have fair trail and be sentenced to be held for the rest of his life.
    Is this justice?

7. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Surely they wouldnt dare to run their torture operations here in Europe? There would be outrage.

Just saw on TV that the EU is becoming involved in this and starts investigations of the nations in question. I think there might be serious reprisals in store for those who harbour torture centers, as that would conflict with the criteria for joining the Union.

8. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

Still there are no real evidences tof existance of such facilities.

9. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    The hypocrisy. And to think they always bash my country about human rights for having similar anti-terrorism laws to apprehend suspected criminals without trial that threatens national security. At least the facilities are only limited to within my own country.

10. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

If that would REALLY be one of the criteria, then why are we even considering Turkish membership ?

11. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Found this aarticle:

mtv.com

The crimes of another to do not give us either as individuals or as a government the right to sink to their level. In my book if you behave like a criminal you are a criminal.

12. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

@ Pac man Most people of Europe dont really consider it. Or wish for it. But there are certain factions and powers who want to force Turkey onto the EU no matter what - among them the US, as you know. And we can see what their stance on torture is.

13. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

And even if such facilities exist it's not 100% that human rights were violated there.
    And the fact that a plane with prisoners landed on Polish airfield in Szymanowy is no proof at all (simple excuse of refueling :p )

14. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

i think it's true, i have seen an interview with a spokesperson who had something to do with that and he hesitated then talked of something completely different

15. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I am not surprised at all to hear of this, given the fissure between profession and practice by this administration. There have also been disturbing reports of secret prison ships in the Indian Ocean. If only we could get rid of this silly Constitution and open some honest, forthright concentration camps.

16. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

At least Turkey are honest about these things. These Eastern countries should not allowed to be European if they allow torture facilities run by foreigners.

Would anyone even consider facilites to hold Eta terrorists?

17. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

IF such facilities exist and IF human rights are violated in there, that would be shame and all such countries (including my own country) should suffer some cosequences.
    But if there is no 100% proof nothing can be done.

18. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

True Undertaker, but in my opinion, being European is a privilege, so why would such countries ruin this for a quick buck?

I would be surprised if Poland was involved, considering how religions the people there seem to be. Actually I am surprised any country would support such facilities after learing of Guantanemo and Abu Ghribe.

19. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] Poland being very catholic country has nothing to to with having or not such facilities. And if you don't know what's involved, it's always money :p

EDIT: Polish (and Romanian) goverment officially denied existance of such facilities on our territory.
    Also EU doen't believe in this revelations about those facilities.

[ November 04, 2005, 15:05: Message edited by: Undertaker ]

20. khaavern Gems: 14/31

I wonder what constitutes 100% proof. If the people involved do not admit it, how can you prove it? After all, you cannot go there to see (even if you have info about the place). And if they already have move the prisoners out, even if you go and look around, how can you be 100% sure that was such a detention center?

So then you have to rely on people which are directly involved (or on their supervisors. presumably, such places should be supervised. although the administration does not seem eager to come clean with the details). And it seems to me that the article in the WP is based on such sources (officials in the CIA). so I doubt this is just a made up fact (although I can see that some would like to believe so).

Yeah, i am sure they get the high class spa treatment :shake:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.