1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Citizendium - new competitor to Wikipedia

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Montresor, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Wikipedia co-founder Larry Singer has founded a new online encyclopedia, Citizendium. According to this article in FoxNews,

The article is much longer so I won't copy the entire text here.

Sure, Wikipedia has had its share of misinformation scandals but can any free online encyclopedia function? And will it ever be as trustworthy as a "real" encyclopedia?

And, with Wikipedia, Conservapedia and now Citizendrium, how many "online-pedias" can the Internet support?

Discuss...

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, if it gives a real name, and provides expert review, it could be considered a "real" source that could be cited in a bibliography. The main problem with Wiki, and why it can't be officially sited as a source is because there is no guarnatee the article is accurate, has been peer review, or even who the author of the article is.

3. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

well hopefully it lives up to his idea, then it could be considered a valid source.
    then we just need all the old teachers to accept it :)

4. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

What would stop people from using false names?

5. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Pfffth, again one... I hope they'll have a slow and horrible death.
    Wikipedia forever!

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I don't see this working unless they can verify that people actually are who they say they are, and even then I think I'd still use Wikipedia for my random research because I like Wikipedia and don't really need another one that isn't measurably better.

I imagine the entries will include a lot of copy and pasting from Wiki...

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, it could be better if the information could be cited as an official source in the bibliography of a paper.

In which case, it would be nearly identical to Wiki - except that the info will be reivewed and verified. That said, I agree in principle to what you're saying. How do we know the people are who they say they are, and how do we know the "reviewers" are really experts?

8. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Good point. If they can't TRULY verify who wrote or at least reviewed their articles, then Citizendium will have no more or less authority than Wikipedia.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.