1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Civilization III

Discussion in 'Playground' started by notforyou, Nov 17, 2003.

1. notforyou Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] well, I hope I don't get all of you die hard d&d fans angry, but Civ III is the most enjoyable computer game I've played. I've been a huge fan of the Civ series since the first Civ came out in 1990, it really changed the way I thought of computer games (never went for all those shoot-em-ups or marios bouncing around). I like how the game tries to simulate the history and growth of mankind throughout the years, concerning warfare,politics,economics etc. has anyone else been taken by this great game?

2. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

I think you might want to look for threads on this topic in "The Playground". I'm sure that I've seen this game mentioned there, just try a search.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Great game. I've played all three, but the latest (Civ III) is much harder than its predecessors. I used to be able to play on the hardest level and win with some level of frequency. Now, I struggle at the third difficulty setting.

4. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Civ series is definitely one of the best in history. I've been trying to get Civ2 to run on my new PC, but the darned video installation keeps crashing the machine.

Doesn't Civ3 have a multiplayer mode? It might be worth getting. What makes it better than its predecessor?

5. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The second one is my favourite. What with the future style and all, I mean whats not to like!

6. Jschild Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

C3 addeds many more complex layers like now certain resources are needed to build things. They must be linked by roads to establish supply or you can get it from another nation. What makes it really interesting is that along with vastly improved diplomacy options you can cripple a nation since the "rare" (that is required supplies like oil) resources can be cut off during an invasion and poof, they can't make tanks anymore (this can happen to you too :( )

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The Civ series is my all time favourite. Best games ever, Civ2 is my favourite as it was so darn brilliant in the time it was released. I am not saying that it is better than Civ3 but Civ2 was better in its time than Civ3 is in its. Civ3 is the one I am playing now though. Brilliant game, it truly keeps the spirit of its predecessors while still changing enough to make it a very worthwhile. The culture, borders and resources give the game a whole new layer. Of course I also love the improved AI, still you beat the crap out of it on an even playing field but atleast it puts up a decent fight now. Something it was pretty bad at in 1 and 2.
    I generally dont like to play on the harder difficulties cause the computer isnt smarter, it just gets more stuff. Free units and production boosts, same as in the other games and I just think it is dull to have to wade through hordes of idiotic computer units and see the AI get wonders for free basically just before I was about to finish it.

There is MP in the add-ons for Civ3, I have never tried but I played a little bit MP for Civ2 and it just is too slow to be really enjoyable. The AI should have cudos for moving quickly atleast, humans are slow.

8. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I have still to play Civ3, but I've really enjoyed the first two. The first one was my favourite. It was the first real game I'd ever played that wasn't like Commander Keen or that sort of game. The second one didn't seem quiet so great. Now I just have to get the third one!

9. Jschild Gems: 8/31

What didn't you like about the 2nd Civ? It was far superior to the first is virtually every way. If you didn't like it you probably wouldn't like the 3rd Civ. Post what the problem was and maybe we can help you decide.

10. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

[​IMG] I think the worst part about civ3 is the speed. It's slooooooow! :(
    At least compared to the speed in the previous games, but that's really all I can put a finger on in that aspect, else it's great :D

"Bring forth the catapults.."

11. Jschild Gems: 8/31

Runs just fine on my computer - are you animiating all the computers moves? What is your system specs. BTW, there is a cool new addon called Conquests that really expands the game. Check the review section at Gamespot.com, they have a review of it.

12. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

One game I liked and would love to see a sequel of is Alpha Centauri. From the makers of Civ, it is just set on another planet after the end of the Civ games.

13. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Liked of Alpha Centauri more, too. In Civ3, the comp just plain cheats too much to my liking. You can see it yourself: create a random map, put a random amount of civilizations on it (on their own, private islands) and fill your own island with huts that give science bonuses. Play, take the 20+ bonuses. In ten turns the computer is at the same level, and also has 100+ more gold per turn. :almostmad:

I don't know any other game that has pissed me off any better. :mad:

14. Jschild Gems: 8/31

Ummm, what level are you playing at? The computer doesnt cheat at the lower levels, its only the higher tier of levels that it cheats in its favor. How fast are you expanding? You must expand fast in the game to succeed.

15. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Virne, no offence here but I do not think it is the computer that is cheating too much, unless you are playing on the toughest difficulties. The AI in itself, as you will find out if you play on regent, the level where the playingfield is even is dumb as a brick albeit more advanced than Civ2. After learning how the game works a human shouldnt have any problem with the AI, especially not in the scenario you described, they should still be in the ancient times when you launch your Stealth Planes.

[ November 21, 2003, 23:29: Message edited by: joacqin ]

16. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

[​IMG] The difficulty I usually play is the second hardest(can't remember its name, though). And yeah; I always expand as fast as I can, do some hefty deals with other civs (gaining, at best, over 1200 gold/turn -especially at the lower difficulty levels :D ). Still, even though I always get the advantages first (and not sell them forward), the other civs SOMEHOW manage to build those bloody-f***ing-important miracles first. :mad:

So, I sold the game for 30€ (nice :cool: ).

17. Jschild Gems: 8/31

Too bad you sold it, as the addon Conquests has vastly improved the game and the AI is better than ever.The computer does cheat at anything higher than the 3rd difficulty level.

18. joacqin

Media:
    I dont enjoy playing on the higher difficulties for the reasons you stated Virne, it just isnt fun when the AI gets everything for free. I like Regent and Monarch, regent is a tad too easy so mostly I play on monarch. I enjoy it even if I win all the time but they put up a decent fight. To play on the higher difficulties is just too frustrating for the reasons mentioned, even if you might win.

19. notforyou Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I find the AI at higher levels (monarch and up) to be quite good at some aspects of the game. I've noticed they attack more efficiently, targeting your resources, stacking units and forming alliances. what's annoying about the AI is the "unfair" advantages: they always seem to know which one of your cities is the weakest (without using espionage),they know where the resources are before they have the relevant tech (building a city in the middle of the desert 2000 years before it has oil). but I think the game's AI has improved since CIV II not to mention the first one. I can't win at deity consistently, but I think that's the purpose of this difficulty level.

20. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

So, good people, stick with Alpha Centauri and its expansion. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.