1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cleric/Warpriest

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Lord Domino, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Lord Domino Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I'm currently in a D&D group as a level 3 Cleric with a Rogue, a Ranger and a Fighter.

At the moment, I'm quite keen to take the prestige class of Warpriest. The trouble is, my strength is only 8, giving me a modifier of -1. I was wondering, do you think it matters too much about this?

I am only 500 exp. off being level 4, at which point I can put one stat up by one point. Also, I would probably not end up taking this prestige class until gone level 8, so by the time I'm a Warpriest, I will have added two stat points. I was wondering which of the following you think is the best idea and why:

1)Take Warpriest and use at least one of the extra stat points for Strength
    2)Take Warpriest but not worry too much about Strength, putting other stats up instead
    3)Take a difference prestige class or multi-class with another core class
    4)Stick with pure Cleric

Oh yes, and these are my other stats:
    STR - 8 (-1)
    DEX - 15 (+2)
    CON - 14 (+2)
    INT - 13 (+1)
    WIS - 16 (+3)
    CHA - 13 (+1)

Plus, at the moment I mainly do ranged attacks, although I carry with me a longsword, for which I get a +1 bonus, as one of my domains is War.

Any advice would be very much appreciated :)

2. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I vote option number 2 since you seem exited about the PRC. Personally I wouldn't like giving up half my casterlevels for anything, but to each his own. IMHO it's not strong enough a class to merit such a loss in casterlevels. But I'm also a staunch supporter of flavour, which is something the warpriest has. He's the backbone of a group, the inspirational leader, the one the others draw their strength and courage from.

Don't worry about your low STR. It will make you sucky in the melee department, but only until you get acces to Divine Power. (4th level cleric spell) Go for the persistent spell featchain (extend spell, persistent spell) which allows you to be 'Divine Powered' 24 hours a day.

Invest your 4th level statpoint into CHA (to boost turning damage and the warpriests fear aura) Another option is to take Weapon Finesse for a finessable weapon and put your 4th level point into dex. That's a waste of your War domain ability though. Going for persistent Divine Power is the more powerful option.

3. Lord Domino Gems: 2/31

Hey, thanks, mate, I will certainly consider that - it sounds like a senseible option.

I'm still not too sure about multiclassing altogether, really. I may simply decide to stay as a pure cleric. The trouble is that my character is an elf, which means he is not his favoured class and if I want to multiclass, the levels mustn't be too far apart. I want to make the decision kinda soon.

4. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Prestige Classes do not count against multiclass rules. You can be a Cleric5/Warpriest10 without getting any experience penalties. Cleric5/Fighter2 however, would give an elf a 20% multiclassing penalty, iirc.

Cleric20 is a very decent option. It's the second most powerful core class, only topped by the druid. One can hardly go wrong with that ;)

5. Lord Domino Gems: 2/31

Yeah, I know about prestige classes being ok and everything, but I mean if I'm going to decide to multiclass with something else, I need to decide now and take it when I level up next.

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Charisma for turning, INT for skill points or DEX to couple up with Finesse. Not that INT only pays taking now, at level 4, but not later. If you're the party's talker, I guess CHA is better for you. STR won't be of much use. You can be a Finessed warpriest. Fancy a priest with a rapier? I think it could be quite neat. If you go that route, you may need some additional feat at the cost of having to take fighter levels, while you won't have to worry so much about keeping your WIS high enough for all spells.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.