1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Click, click, boom?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Disciple of The Watch, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

During my moving out, there was some old furniture I wanted to get rid of (and badly), so I whipped out my faithful Triple H-esque sledgehammer. I then told everyone to back off, grabbed the sledgehammer and you know the rest - poor furniture ended in splinters, while I reveled and took an ecstatic pleasure in my handiwork.

Anyway, following the demolition, I told my bro that it was too bad I didn't had any black powder laying around, otherwise I would have blown up that ugly furniture to pieces instead of smashing it.

Me Ma then said that destruction has been in my blood since roughly 20 years (I do take an unnerving (for other people, at least) pleasure at destroying stuff), and my bro then proceeded to point out my love of explosions (I may not be the biggest pyro of BoM like Kit, but I'm pretty sure I'm the biggest blaster - if it blows up, I already tried it). I don't know if it was one of those "Eureka" moments or some such, but they both told me if I ever considered becoming a blaster - therefore combining destruction *AND* big booms. How much better can it get?

The idea intrigued me, so I said I'd look into it. I know becoming a blaster requires extensive training, but TBT I don't really know where to start, much less where to look at.

So, uhh, do anyone know about, uhh, blasting schools (I guess that's how it's called, right?) either in Canada or the States? Studying outside of stinky ol' Quebec doesen't bother me the slightest bit.

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Muhahaha! :evil: I can't hide my love for all things that go boom! :D
    That's debatable...I've done *a LOT* of stuff with explosives.

As for schools, I'd look into something along the lines for special effects (for movies and the like), fireworks manufacturing, and the like. Most are probably apprenticeships as I don't think there are any actual schools that teach you how to blow stuff up....unless you're in a terrorist network. :bad:

One thing you might try, is sending a message to the guy that hosts 'Mythbusters' (not the bald one), because IIRC, he's worked in special effects for a long time, and I'm sure he could point you in the right direction. The show has its own forums, that lets you get in direct contact with the show's cast...and die-hard fans.

Or anther option, you could go to Burning Man early and ask the engineers how they got their training. No ordanary engineer can make a 'Singularity Machine'. :thumb: :rolling:

3. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adam Savage.

Have you thought about demolitions for construction sites?

4. Kitrax

Media:
    Yeah! That guy. :thumb:

I could also suggest mine work. IIRC, the pay is awesome for the actual work...but with the Utah mine disaster in the news right now, along with all the other mine accidents recently, I don't think mining is worth it right now. :bad:

As for blowing buildings up...that doesn't happen very often. The just blew up a high-rise in downtown SLC this past Saturday...but that's the first time that has happened here in the 7 or so years that I've lived in this state. :rolling:

5. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

There is some procedure or other for getting a pyrotechnics license, at least in Tennessee, because one of my friends, also a black powder devotee, has one.

Do a search on pyrotechnics license and see if anything turns up. I'd do it myself but I'm at work (tee hee) and probably shouldn't be goofing off as much as I am.

6. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

You could allways try the military. I was assigned as a medic in an engineering company and they offered a chance to get a certificate in basic demolition, I did not bother though since I did not think I'd have much use for it.

However since I very well know you won't be doing that, I'll simply suggest asking from whatever institutions teach construction around there, demolition sort of goes hand in hand with construction and atleast around here are taught in the same schools.

7. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Fireworks sounds fun - if it gets a little too boring you can always arrange an "accident". :evil:

8. Disciple of The Watch

Well, I did some research about a school I know of which specialized in various specialties regarding construction, but unsurprisingly, nothing in the sort of demolition.

Pyrotechnics sounds intriguing... but TBT, I'm more interested in blowing buildings up like they did in The Blasters that aired on Discovery Channel. Good old-fashioned demolition with a wrecking ball or sledgehammer also sounds fine - as long as I get to destroy stuff, it's good enough for me.

9. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Well, from what you say, 'construction' is (somewhat ironically) the direction you want to focus on to give your inner 'demolition man' joy. :)

Of course, Morogoth's right on that AND the military thing, as well - the army is ALL ABOUT 'blowing sh...tuff up'.

And I can confirm that ANYONE undergoing 'basic training' in the Canadian Armed Forces will have to complete a 'unit' in elementary demolition; I have a cousin in the Navy who told me about his 'demo' practical exam. The interesting part is that due to a childhood case of flu or chicken pox or something, he's ended up with palsied hands - he can manipulate things just fine, but if he relaxes his hands, they twitch and spasm so much that he's got the nickname "Shakey" :D

Well, the 'test' is the instructor and the recruit go to an isolated foxhole with the necessary components. The recruit assembles the explosive, then the two retreat to a safe distance and (hopefully) detonate it - a >BOOM< equals a pass. :D So it's Shakey's turn, and when the two are alone at the detonation site, the instructor says to him "You know, I can do it for you if you want; I'll still pass you." :rolleyes: My cousin politely rejected the offer, set things up, and got the good bang. :)

10. Kitrax

Media:
    I can see at least one reason why DotW won't join any armed forces:

You can't smoke pot while you're in the service. :p :rolling:

11. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I'm not sure smoking pot while handling explosives is a very good idea... Or smoking anything for that matter. ;) (Open fire + explosives = BOOOOM!)

I'm not even sure smoking pot before handling explosives is smart. Imagine this guy -> :hippy: working with dynamite?

12. Disciple of The Watch

:lol: Hey! Flying high multiplies my concentration and focusing capability... when I'm not giggling like a moron at the first remotly funny thing (and every pot smoker knows that when you're high, everything is funny). In small doses, it can actually help with concentration. Really.

But back on topic, no, I don't plan on joining the army - I have a too strong and too short temper not to retaliate when someone barks orders in my face... to put it short, I'm not army material. Guess I'll have to find *some* other way to satiate my appetite for destruction.

13. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Blowing stuff up? Why was I not informed? I may not get to do it as often as I like, but the shear pleasure of pointless destruction is something I truly enjoy. :smash: :evil: :evil:

As for options, try pyrotechnics. May not have the biggest bangs, but they are impressive (e.g Sydney harbor Bridge at new year)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.