1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Closer to Solar Power than we've been assuming?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Beren, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Not likely. The only reason alternative energy (sun, wind) is anywhere near competitive is giant government subsidies which are now drying up.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Buzz Kill.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Sorry :) The truth hurts sometimes... ;)

5. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  6. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I thin it should be aggressively and innovatively funded.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Heh, BTA beat me to it, the subsidies are the only thing that makes solar an appealing option. Take that away and the majority of people wouldn't even dream about putting panels on their roof. Here the subsidised prices for produced electricity are currently guaranteed for another 10 (IIRC) years but it's anybody's guess what'll happen after that. My guess is they'll be removed completely at that point. So anyone putting them up now is catching the last profitability train as it's likely that subsidies for new installations will be drastically reduced or removed altogether in another year or two, maybe even sooner.

Going solar in Germany was due primarily to political pragmatism. Germany's been going "Eko" before most of the Europe even knew what that meant and the eco groups have been lobbying for the shutting down of the nuclear power plants for decades. It simply got to the point that a significant chunk (if not the majority) of the population started demanding that all the NPPs be shut down, especially after the Fukushima disaster. So the political decision was made that all NPPs across Germany are going to be shut down and replaced with safer means of power generation - no matter what the cost. And it's a decision that's going to be biting Germany in the ass for a very long time unless it's repealed. Everyone was jumping on the solar bandwagon for as long as the state was literally handing out money to anyone willing to put panels anywhere on their property, but obviously that's had to end sooner rather than later.

The cold, hard truth is that in the long run NPPs produce by far the cheapest electricity... but also at the highest risk.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  8. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

I don't have the energy or the inclination at this moment to research the facts presented in the article (moving sucks, especially when it's two houses in one day), but I will say that I thought it was heavily biased and thus hard to trust. Saying things like:

makes it hard to take it at face value. That being said, solar power would obviously be a lot less valuable in Europe than it would be for the warmer parts of the world, so what doesn't work there might be an entirely different story in places like Florida, Texas, or Arizona. There are places I know of that don't need a grid at all and run exclusively on solar, with batteries for extra power in the winter. It's good to have energy efficient appliances when doing these things which reduces your power consumption by a lot. I think the main appeal of these things is being free from the monthly utility bills.

9. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Oh, there are plenty of articles about this; I just grabbed the first one that showed up in my Yahoo search.

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I can confirm that, it's a well-known fact. Has been for quite some time. I read a lot on the subject as we've got a similar situation with subsidies here and the fact that it's a money sink has become readily apparent.

11. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Here's an article about the subsidies here in California. It's a good deal for the people installing it; a pretty bad deal for the taxpayers and the ratepayers.

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    :confused: Why would solar power be less effective in Europe than place like Florida? In the summer months, nearly all of Europe (and certainly Germany) has more hours of sunlight daily than does Florida. Besides I know of people living by me in Maryland that have solar panels and actually sell electricity back to the grid. I cannot think that the climate of northern Maryland is significantly different from southern Germany...

13. Taluntain

Media:
    And how many rainy, cloudy, foggy, etc. days does Florida have? I bet nowhere near as many as central Europe. In my microlocation we can go for months without direct sunlight for example. Especially in the winter months it's not uncommon to have clouds or fog for several months on end. Not to mention that temperatures are nowhere near Florida.

Effectiveness of solar panels is the greatest when you have a considerable amount of direct sun all year round. Here the majority of strong sun happens only in 2-3 summer months and that's it. Basically, when you least need it for heating water, for example.

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    It rains almost daily in Florida - granted it's not an all-day rain, and the sun usually comes back out, but it is rainy. (Although that is not the case in Arizona...) It is, of course, true that locations closer to the equator get more constant sunlight year round, but it would also seem that they would need just as much electricity as in Europe - what they don't spend on heat, they spend on air conditioning.

And it seems to me that a comparable amount of electricity would be needed in the summer as in the winter. Unless most building in Europe don't have air conditioning. As for things like heating water, you have to do that anyway. Most hot water heaters are set around 120 degrees (Fahrenheit). So unless it's really freakin' hot in your house, there's still a significant temperature gradient for the water to be heated. (Also, keep in mind that you use more electricity to maintain the heat of the water than to initially heat it up in the first place. Your hot water heater is keeping your water hot all night, even though you don't need hot water until you wake up in the morning...)

15. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

During the winter, do the EU countries use electricity or gas as the main heat source?

16. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Given the number of nuclear power plants, I'd have to imagine most EU countries have electric heat.

Perhaps the climate IS very different where you live. I know that my electric bills in the summer are as high as they are in the winter, because just like my heat runs pretty much constantly all winter, my AC is running pretty much constantly all summer. My low electricity bills are around this time a year, where I'm not using a ton of heat or AC.

17. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

My electric bills are MUCH lower in the winter. My heat sources are a)Woodburning stove and b) Gas heat(my average Gas bill in the winter is around 30-40 dollars, but I burn all winter to save money. My winter electric bill is around 60-70 dollars. It balloons to almost 150 dollars in teh summer with the AC on, which we use conservatively.

That said, there are windmills popping up all around our region, though we have a NPP local in Byron, IL. A mix of all types of sources for electricity would be good thing in my book. Gives us a plan B when natural disasters strike....

18. Taluntain

Media:
    Heck no, you don't need anywhere near as much power to cool a building down via A/C than to heat it. You're lowering the temp much less in summer than raising it up in winter. And you also don't need A/C every day here in the summer.

And in summer you shower with cooler water than in winter and there are also many more opportunities to do it either via outside showers (free warm water via sun-heated containers), pools, etc. And, of course, it depends on how you use water boilers... most of the time we only turn them on at night during the cheaper electricity rate and use it up during the day.

Here, mainly oil, wood, then gas, district heating when available, then electricity (mostly heat pumps). But that varies from country to country. Most houses here still have old oil-fired furances from the times when oil was cheap, but with the current prices pretty much everyone still on oil is looking at switching away from that.

That'd be wrong, as electricity is the most expensive heating option (unless we're talking heating pumps). And the climate here is certainly different. We can have very hot summers when the A/C is going 2 months straight, or summers where we maybe need it only a few weeks. It varies from year to year.

19. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    You see, then it IS very different. I live in Maryland - not the deep south by any stretch of the imagination. While there are certainly four seasons, the summer is always very hot. It's not unusual for temperatures to exceed 90 degrees on an almost daily basis, meaning your AC in the summer is running every day from June-August, and if it's warmer than normal, a good chunk of September too. (In Maryland, September is still summer - high temps routinely exceed 80.)

OK, maybe a water boiler is something different than a hot water heater, but you actually turn them on and off on a daily basis? I NEVER turn mine off completely, and the only time I turn in down to the low setting is when I'm going on vacation or am going to be away for several days. Most of the time it's running 24/7. Then again, we have three people in my house, and it's not like we only use hot water for showers. There's the dishwasher and washing machine. We also only have a 40 gallon hot water tank, so there's no way on a typical day we can get away with just 40 gallons of hot water. Heck, I typically shower twice a day - once in the morning and again in the evening after I work out. Add in a shower for the wife, and a bath for my son, and we're probably approaching 40 gallons right there without washing dishes or clothes.

I was talking about heat pumps, as they have been the preferred method for electric heating and cooling for the past 30 years or so. It's not exactly new technology. I don't know anyone who lives in a house built in the last few decades that uses electric base-board heat. You'd have to be talking about a house built in the 1970s or earlier, that didn't for some odd reason have some other heating source installed. Base board heat is inefficient, and thus very expensive. Most of the older homes use gas, and in rarer instances, mostly due to availability, oil, coal, or wood.

Plus, I was speaking of a lot of people using electricity due to that being the only option available. Like my current house. I don't have a furnace to heat my house with gas, oil, coal, or wood. I have an electric heat pump - just like pretty much every other home build in my lifetime. My parent's house was build about 30 years ago, and they have a heat pump too. Now my in-laws house is older - almost 50 years old in fact. Like most older homes, they don't have a heat pump. The only thing they use electricity for is for lights, TV, computers, etc. Their main heating source is a wood burning fireplace, although they do have gas hooked up as a backup, and it is through gas that they heat their water, and also use for cooking.

20. Taluntain

Media:
    I see, that is quite different then.

Water boiler = heater. And yea, we turn it on and off as needed. But most people don't do that here either, either because it's inconvenient or because they need it to run 24/7 (especially the case with smaller ones). A good chunk of the time we don't need it constantly on though so why waste money on it running during daytime? It's always running whenever somebody's taking a shower or bathing though.

Incidentally, unless your dishwasher or washing machine have a hot water connection (here only the most expensive models do, and most houses only have cold water connections for these machines), they heat their own water internally.

We've only become generally aware of heat pumps around here in the last 5 years or so. They're quite popular these days but still pretty much "exotic". They're still very expensive for our budgets. But until a few years ago when oil and gas prices started skyrocketing very few people would consider them given the substantially higher investment and relatively poor COP with most of the affordable models, so 5+ years ago you'd be hard pressed to find one in every town I expect. It used to be pretty much oil, gas or wood for individual houses. Also, very few houses had underfloor heating. It used to be pretty much radiators only except for the last 10 years or so.

Here, the concept of a "heat pump neighbourhood" is non-existent. Pretty much every house built up to mid-90's or later had an oil or gas furnace by default. It was simply the most economical & convenient option at the time. Given the oil prices today though, only LPG is more expensive.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.