1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

CNN avoiding publicizing ACORN's fall?

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Daremo, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Daremo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Late Friday afternoon, the US Census Bureau cut all ties with ACORN for the 2010 census. I happened to see this on Fox. Its now Sunday, nearly 48 hours later and CNN STILL has yet to even mention it *ANYWHERE* on its site. ABC picked up on it as did AP other news sites.

Clearly this is news isn't it? Its not false news that's for sure as the actual text of the letter sent to the director of ACORN is on the link as well. So why isn't CNN reporting on it? Seems to me that there is a deliberate bias on CNN's part to avoid running a story that damages ACORN.

Am I wrong here?

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I find it curious and entertaining that you sign up on September 13, to debut on September 13 on the forums with two political posts - above all complaining about neither notoriously liberally biased CNN nor *ghasp* the gaming site Sorcerer's Place is covering that topic.

The various games you're into aren't by any chance political ones?

3. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Well, conservative views are always welcome here, since they make the political threads much more interesting and less one-sided. I think Martaug would care quite a bit about the ACORN thread and I'm sure he would have some interesting posts on the topic.

Welcome to our boards - Daremo. :wave:

Regarding the topic, it really matters little to me. But I think ACORN has had problems with some of its "methods."

4. Ragusa

Media:
    Oh yes, welcome :)

5. Daremo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well I'm not a troll, and I understand your initial suspicion being that I sign up and then post in depth about 2 political topics. However, I don't have an agenda other than debating various things.

I'm not selling anything, or a 2nd account of someone else here or anything else that might be underhanded.

So no worries.

Oh and I wasn't complaining about either CNN not covering it or Sorcerers net either. I just find it rather odd that its being completely skipped by CNN, yet reported widely by other news sources. Yet CNN is suppose to be the leader in news right?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  6. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Oh, way to welcome a newcomer, Ragusa. I first registered for posts in either AoLS or AoDA. The gaming stuff I was happy to lurk on.

Welcome to the Forums, Daremo. Have fun and as long as you behave, you'll be welcome by most.

Personally, I'm not really surprised by this. Either by ACORN being disconnected or by CNN not mentioning it. There are a number of interesting pieces on the AP that never make it to CNN or MSNBC. And yes, ACORN has a long established history of problems, especially after this last election. If nothing else, the shear lack of accountability and oversight is a killer for any official business.

7. Ragusa

Media:
    NOG,
    I don't recall, was I nicer to you?

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What? No more Acorn computers?! When did this happen?

9. Ragusa

Media:
  10. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Ragusa, I don't recall either. That probably means you were, but I'm not sure.

And yes, the link is very funny. Aww, poor squirrels. :fake tear:

11. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I personally believe that ACORN is a shill for the Democratic party. I must have missed where they were working for the census. That sounds very dangerous to let a group that is constantly being investigated for voter registration fraud to now be involved in the census. Kudos to whoever at the Census ended this relationship.

and welcome Daremo.

12. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My first posts were political. No, Ragusa, you weren't very nice -- but then again I do enjoy a vigorous debate. :)

Personally I don't really think severing the ties between the Census Bureau and ACORN to be a big deal. Certainly not worthy of a headline; it's a sideline story to me, just filler. I'm not surprised that CNN considers it not very newsworthy.

Now the hooker thing with ACORN is news -- inquiring minds want to know.

13. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    While I normally find Stewart an annoying twit, this actually impressed me The audacity of hos

14. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    So you like him when he goes after people on the left when they are retarded but not when he goes after people on the right acting retarded?

15. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I think you might have been banned from the alleys at the time. :p

16. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Welcome, daremo, to our little corner of the asylum.

I don't think that CNN would deliberately minimize something like this. I'd believe it of CBS when Rather was around with his obvious agenda, but now, I think that most of the major media outlets are only a tiny little bit left of centre, with the obvious exception of my friends at FOX, who are a tiny little bit to the right of centre :p:outta:

17. Thrasher91604

Thrasher91604 For those who know ...

Well the whole country has shifted right in the years since St. Ron. And I 've seen that change in most of the corporate media. MSNBC being the only recent exception.

Although I don't watch CBS so I can't comment on that.

joacqin likes this.
  18. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Lmao! Wow! I've always loved his deliveries, and I've always liked how they'll go after anyone who's making an a** of themselves at the time, but I usually don't like their writing. This one was GOLD!

19. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    So speaking of folks trying to avoid publicizing stuff, I wonder how hard Fox will push this

Nice one, GOP. Love that work ethic.

As for the party in power, It'd be nice if the Democratic members of Congress--both houses--collectively possessed at least one functioning set of genitalia.

20. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    AMaster - they're all pussies, what's the problem . . . ? (Not the genitalia you meant, I take it.)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.