1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Come on... are the monsters cheating?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Bowie, Mar 13, 2001.

1. Bowie Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

The first time this happened tonight I thought it was a fluke, but now it's happened again...

I'm playing IWD with HOW installed. I'm on the second level of the Eye Of Dragon caves, and I'm fighting spiders and trolls. I save my game a certain point and moved my fighters slowly down the corridor. They come across a troll and I have them attack. While attacking they come within seeing distance of 2 spiders and another troll. They're all surprised and they turn to attack me as well.

I take heavy damage and I decide at some point I want to reload and try a different strategy. Only now when I reload, all four monsters start coming for me right out of the fog of war. They're in attack mode as soon as the game reloads, but they weren't even aware of me when I had saved the game. I even exited comepletely out of IWD and restarted, but the save game is still loading them up in attack mode...

Anyone else run into this?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yep, that's the new and improved IWD with HoW installed... You're gonna run into a lot of that; though the monsters seeing you earlier than they saw you before isn't something I noticed while playing. But the monsters definitely don't just stand around when one of their compatriots sees you any more; they all come a-runnin' :)

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited March 13, 2001).]

3. Bowie Gems: 8/31

I tested a bit more after I posted and was able to recreate the bug, under certain conditions...

I quick-saved; then sent my theif in the shadows down a hall, came across a Troll who had no clue I was nearby. I watched to be sure he wasn't coming my way, then lured the Troll, alone, back to my party and dispatched him. Then I did the same thing with a Wraith Spider. Once I reloaded my quicksave to before I had encountered them and within moments they were both headed straight to attack my party- even though they were both clearly unaware of my presence when I had last saved my game.

I tried the same thing with a "normal" (non-quick) save and wasn't able to recreate it. Looks like a bug in how the quicksave works. I guess I won't be relying on the quicksave too much anymore... and I've gotten so used to hitting that 'Q' every so often. :(

Just wondering if this is happening on everyones Quicksave games?

4. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I personally like it! I mean, when one of your guys gets jumped, the rest of your party comes running, doesn't it? Why should the monsters be any different?

I thought that was one of the downsides to the game previously - You could draw the beasties out one by one with a thief or something, then pound them with your melee fighters...Now, you have to a better strategist.

I'm happy. See my face? :D

5. Bowie Gems: 8/31

I've got no problem with nearby monsters coming to the aid of their comrades. It makes it much more challenging and "realistic".

But when you save a game before any of them are even aware of your presence, and you reload that game they should return to their unaware state- and that's not happening with my quicksaves.

6. Bowie Gems: 8/31

Just wanted to update what I found about this bug. After posting that I didn't have this problem with normal save games (only quick-saves), I have to take it back. I did encounter this problem with a normal save.

However, after leaving the level in the Dragon's Eye with the Trolls, I've yet to encounter this problem again (I'm currently facing the litch(sp?) in the dwarven catacombs in Chapter 4). Perhaps it's a bug on just that level, or a bug in the Troll's AI? Oh well, whatever, I got through it. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.