1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Congress butts into the BCS

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by dmc, Dec 3, 2005.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    For those who don't know about it, American college football is a huge "industry" that does not have a playoff. The #1 and #2 teams in the nation are now determined by a couple of polls wrapped up with some computer number crunching and they play a single game to determine who is #1. It never seems to work out correctly (although it might this year if my Bruins can't pull off the upset of the century tomorrow), and everyone complains.

Congress, not having anything better to do, apparently wants to get into the mix:

The article

My thoughts are that this is a silly waste of time.

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, the Trojans absolutely demolished the Bruins and Texas did the same to Colorado, so, for the first time in a long time, the #1 college football team will actually be pretty uncontroversial. Hope it's a good game.

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

I think they should just introduce playoffs already. NFL rookies are always unprepared for the long professional season *coughBencoughRoethlisbergercough*, and playoffs might help that as well as satisfy those of us who get upset by the complex calculations that go into BCS rankings being the only thing that determines who's "better".

P.S. I only wandered into this topic because the title included "Congress butts", which is pretty accurate IMHO. :lol:

4. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

Sorry about your Bruins, dmc. Not only did the BCS finally manage to pit #1 vs. #2 in the Rose Bowl, but with LSU and Va Tech losing their Conference championships, it will minimize the complaints against Notre Dame going to a BCS bowl and maybe even make room for Oregon.

Division 2 and 3 of the NCAA have managed to have a playoff system for many years. If anyone ever can come up with a plan for Division 1 schools to have a playoff system and make more money...I'm sure we'll see one there.

For now, the BCS boys are giggling with delight. After years of frustration, they've finally produced what they promised. USC vs. Texas should be quite a game.

5. dmc

Media:
    Hope so, but I doubt it. USC looks way too tough. They could dominate Texas even more than they destroyed Oklahoma last year. Reggie Bush is amazing.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.