1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Conscious (short story)

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Grey Magistrate, Oct 25, 2003.

1. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

"I know, it's difficult to understand. But just try to listen."

Edward, distracted by the dazzling view from the cliff, answered, "Fine, whatever."

"I gain my essence from words. For every word printed in this 'book', I grow deeper."

Edward carelessly threw a stone into the deep valley. "So how do you make these new words?"

Anthony shrugged. "There are many ways. One, I can talk. Every word I say is written down."

"Then why don't you just talk and talk?"

"Because," said Anthony, "if I say something relevant to the plot line - well, you don't understand that yet. If it's something important, it's written down. But if I just repeat a word, 'look', fifty times..."

Anthony proceeded to recite the word "look" fifty times.

"See? I said fifty words, but it only counted for nine."

"I still don't see what you're looking at," said Edward, gazing into the empty sky.

Anthony shifted his feet in frustration. Was he the only one who knew? "Edward, there are many other ways to make words. But they all have something in common. They all must be somehow important."

"Important? How do you know what's important?"

"Well, apparently, this conversation is important. But we've only been talking for about ten minutes. If we were to leave and meet again in a week, and nothing 'important' happened in that time, only a few words might pass. Here, let's try it. I'll meet you here in one week, around sunset."

"A whole week? What will I do in the meantime?"

"Nothing 'important'. I'll tell you more next time."

One week later, Anthony met with Edward. He was a little late, but Anthony didn't mind. Saying that he was a little late, and the ensuing explanation of the word count, was twenty-seven words.

"Are we allowed to be 'important' now?" asked Edward, just as perplexed as before. As instructed, he had given little thought to his friend's new idea. "What's this 'importance' thing you were talking about?"

"This secret is my greatest power, and my greatest fear. Important things are," and here Anthony lowered his voice, "dangerous things."

Now that interested Edward. "Dangerous things?"

Anthony nodded gravely. "The only subject people want to read about is danger and violence. Action, that's all they want. If we provide it, we get words. If we don't, we get a phrase. 'They lived happily ever after'. Something like that."

Edward listened to the night wind whistle through the valley. "So?"

"How can you be so shallow?" snapped Andrew. "I am talking about the very essence of our existence! Don't you even care?"

Edward was startled by his friend's sudden energy. "Yes, of course I care about your new philosophy, Anthony!"

"My new philosophy...? Don't you see that I will never have peace again? If I am to live, to truly live, then I must live in fear. Every action must lead to a greater, more powerful action. And that, to another."

"No rest for the weary, eh?" joked Edward.

"What alternative do I have? The only way to keep this book going is to have some sort of conflict. You need a good guy, and a bad guy. But even that ends. Once the good guy wins, the book ends. That's it."

"Then the sooner it ends, the better."

"Not at all," said Anthony. "My only chance is to either become the good guy, or the bad guy. If I become the hero, then I must never win. If I become the enemy, I must never lose. Everyone else is just a satellite, rotating around these two central characters."

"Characters?"

"People, Edward, people. Every person is a character."

Edward nodded blankly.

"There are no great villains in this land. But a hero always arises to meet a challenge. And so I confront my only choice. I must become the enemy."

"Meaning what?" asked Edward, increasingly concerned by his friend's detached tone.

"Really, it's for the best. Eventually I'll be destroyed, as I should be. I'll deserve it, by the time this story has played itself out. But it will save this country. Our land can finally gain some recognition. My exploits, and those of the hero, and all the minor characters, will make thousands upon thousands of words! This world will survive!"

"Anthony, my friend, I still don't understand all of what you are saying," said Edward, finally listening closely, "but the little I do understand is troubling. You cannot bring good by evil."

"I'll try my best to merely outlast the hero," Anthony smiled ruefully. "I'll only steal and destroy that which I must. Even a few murders."

A push, and Edward disappeared into the darkness.

Anthony stood alone on the clifftop. "Farewell, old friend. But you have not died in vain. Your death is the trigger event for our history! Thousands, maybe millions of words!"

As Anthony predicted, Edward's death triggered a spree that devastated the world for years on end. A hero finally arose and stopped Anthony, and the land lived happily ever after.

In less than a thousand words.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    How sad. Anthony's striving against "the phrase" even unto becoming the villain, and all he could manage was under a thousand words.

Once again, a very enjoyable short. I look forward to all your little gems.

3. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

I also appreciated the Goose tribute. Truly, no one has better played a skinny geek navigator than Anthony Edwards in "Top Gun." And, like Anthony, Anthony Edwards went on from his notable imporant role (Goose vs. discoverer of the nature of prose) to being evil (becoming a liberal pipsqueak who regrets he ever did such a violent movie vs. killing Edward).

Deep, GM, deep.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.