1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Copying Spells into the Spellbook

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Spellbound, May 2, 2002.

1. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Can't figure out why I can copy some spells into my spellbook, and others I can't. I have a cleric/mage and a bard, both at level 7. The most trouble I'm having is with my cleric/mage copying into his book. I've lost some very valuable spells that I've bought and/or picked up -- like Stoneskin -- probably won't ever get it back. Oh, and I'm not trying to copy a spell that is beyond the level that these guys are at....so... CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT I'M DOING WRONG?? -- Thanks.

2. ArchAngel Guest

I assume, since you are level 7, that you have copied spells preciously.

If your intelligence is too low the is a spell copy failure. Also if it is extremely low there is a limit to your max spell level.
    9 int = 4th spell level max
    10 int = 5th spell level max
    11 int = 5th spell level max
    12 int = 6th spell level max
    13 int = 6th spell level max
    14 int = 7th spell level max
    15 int = 7th spell level max
    16 int = 8th spell level max
    17 int = 8th spell level max
    18 int = 9th spell level max

Since Stoneskin is 4th level I can't see that should be a problem. What are your cleric/mage stats?
    I think that your bard has a higher intelligence than your cleric/mage
    Here is another table

9 int= 35% chance of copying scroll to spellbook
    10 int= 40% chance of copying scroll to spellbook
    11 int= 45% chance of copying scroll to spellbook
    12 int= 50% chance of copying scroll to spellbook
    13 int= 55% chance of copying scroll to spellbook
    14 int= 60% chance of copying scroll to spellbook
    15 int= 65% chance of copying scroll to spellbook
    16 int= 70% chance of copying scroll to spellbook
    17 int= 75% chance of copying scroll to spellbook
    18 int= 85% chance of copying scroll to spellbook

If you don't see any of these two as a possible solution to your problem you can email your savegame to me and I'll look at it. Mail it to
    krisk@odense.kollegienet.dk

And welcome to the boards Spellbound :)

Edit; you can always change the difficulty level to normal instead of core rules. That will make your chance of copying spells 100% nomatter what your intelligence is.

[This message has been edited by ArchAngel (edited May 02, 2002).]

3. Spellbound

Thanks very much for your reply....

Here's the stats for my team...

Bard (Level 9) -- Int: 16
    Cleric/Mage (Level 7) -- Int. 11

It appears that the intelligence level is where I've got the problem, but I don't see a way out of it. Already have the difficulty set to quasi-easy and still failing at copying. I saw your stats on the different intelligence levels and it looks like my cleric/mage is about at his spell-copying limit. I'm fairly new at this game and from all I've read, there's no chance to raise the int level, once set. Could I have him drink a genius potion, then try to copy all the spells? :) And....I don't know if the later chapters of the game require purely spell strategy to get through the battles. So far, I've used a mix of spell and battle strategy and it's worked OK. I've even thought about dumping the cleric/mage and creating a new character with higher intelligence.....but I'm so far into the game (ready to go into Dorn's Deep)...I'll lose all his experience Thoughts?

4. ArchAngel Guest

[​IMG] This is a setback to your mage class. The memorizing spells problem can be overcome with potion of genious. Good idea. :)

Then the more permanent problem. 5th spell level max. Well you'll miss many good spells if you continue in HoW (Hearth of Winter. The add on to Ice Wind Dale) and IWD2. You shouldn't worry about killing monsters though. At 5th spell level you have plenty of good spells to make it through IWD. Although I like players who play with ordinary characters that aren't maxed in attributes (eg 18 int), 11 int just isn't much. Especially if you plan to complete all IWD games.

There are three possible solutions as I see it;

I accept his faith and enjoy that he is a slow advancing cleric with a limited arsenal of mage spells. There shouldn't be any magic above 5th spell level that is necessary. They just make life easier.

II Drop the character, and make a new one. He will lack in experience, but XP comes quicker later in the game and it doesn't take long before he is at least level 5/5 which is decent. But I hardly think this is a good idea if you don't plan to play HoW and IWD2 with this party too.

III Use dalekeeper to raise his intelligence a few points. Dalekeeper can be found in the download section of this website here is the link.

I would go with the first. I don't recommend using dalekeeper just yet. There is much more gaming joy if you try and make this party complete IWD, and then play the game again with a stronger party. You'll enjoy that a lot since there is much replayability in IWD.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2017
  5. Spellbound

I agree with you... How about this? Keep the cleric/mage until the end of IWD. Then drop him for HoW and IWD2 (create a new character). (I'll carry over all the others to the new games. Would that work? (I've also thought about swapping out the bard for a thief--there's been alot of discussion on having a thief in the party (I had to leave the chests in Dragons Eye unopened) in these forums---but I haven't made up my mind on that yet.)

Anyways...For the time being, I do have a genius potion that he can drink.....and the bard is able to cast spells in his stead, right?

6. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Yeah, your Bard should be able to replace your mage/cleric for now. If you're worried about losing spells when you learn them, just save your game before you try, and load if you fail. It's very tedious and rather lame, but when I really want/need a spell, I do it.
    Also, as far as I know, you won't be able to carry your characters on in IWD2. (See IWD2 Forum for more details)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.