1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cornwell Trilogy

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Khazraj, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I am reading Cornwell's Trilogy on Arthur, The Winter King, The Enemy of God and Excalibur.

I am under the impression that most of the historical background in the books are Welsh, at least most of the names seem to be so. Can anyone confirm how "authentic" the books are?

I have found the level of detail and writing style to be of very high quality, almost as good as Tolkien and is some ways better.

How is there a distinction between "Welshness" and "Britishness" (I mean pre-saxon) or are they meant to be the same?

How are the Britons different or related to the Scots, Irish, Normans (from Brittany or Armorica)? Are they all simply Celtic or Gallic? I'm trying to get my head around all the history and culture that the texts assume are known to the reader.

Great books and have tons of detail, but as the author notes, it was the "Dark Ages" and so some of the events and details are "yucky", such as louse ridden beds, druidic rituals and customs.

Good books so far. Go for it!

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The Welsh and the Scots/Picts (edited in) were the remnants of the old celtic and even pre celtic peoples on the British Isles. Those called British at that time I guess were Romans and romanized celts.

I havent read these books but I saw the last one in the library and would have got it if the other two had been around.

[ January 31, 2004, 18:16: Message edited by: joacqin ]

3. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

The Warlord Trilogy is brilliant (I've read them all a few times).

I think that most of the information he bases his writings on are most likely on welsh texts, but then, because it is from such a hazy time history wise, a lot may come from his own imagination.

At that time Scotland is ruled by tribes of Picts (They'll be taken over by Vikings in a couple of centuries later, then the Scots will come from Ireland and conquer them, thus turning pictland into Scotland).

Welshness and Britishness are probably the same, as at this time they are the same country. Celts and Britons are different cultures, though I don't actually know how I'm afraid.

Some of this may be wrong(If anything the Welshness and Britishness thing), so anyone just to correct me.

4. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Most of the place and character names are in Welsh but there are a few in Irish. So I decided to surf the net and check out pronunciation. Welsh seems ok, but Irish I can do without, and I thought that English had crappy spelling...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.