1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Couch Potatos Beware

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Beren, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I guess my question is this. If sitting on your couch watching TV for a hour is bad for you, then I assume that sitting in front of your computer playing a game is similarly bad for you. And certainly sitting at your desk at work for 8 hours a day has to be pretty bad for you too. Or sitting down and reading a book. I don't get what about the TV is significantly different than any other non-physical activity.

I've said it before - if you work at an office you necessarily live a sedentary lifestyle. I'm at work - in meetings and in front of a keyboard - about 9 hours each day, and spend another 2 hours per day in the car. I workout when I get home because it's the only physical activity I have all day.

I'm sure it does knock years off your life - but certainly the time I spend watching TV each day (usually the 11:00 news and/or Sports Center right before I go to bed) is small potatoes compared to the sedentary activities I'm doing all day.

I have to wonder if the people who watch the most TV have shorter life expectancies not because they are watching TV (the article said some people watch on average 6 hours per day), but because they are generally inactive. I mean, I cannot see how you can average 6 hours of TV viewing per day and still have a job and a family.

3. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    And if that's true and you work an eight hour day on average, you lose 2.93 hours of life per day! Even if we round that down to 2.0 due to walking to the restroom and whatnot, that's still a heavy price to pay for going to work.

I don't think I buy it, and like Aldeth I don't see the difference between sitting here and sitting there, unless they're saying that TV causes 'brain rot' or something and that's what's causing you harm.

4. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It's all about the habits and lifestyle, as the article points out. Unfortunately the very nature of the study makes it a questionable one, at best.

It's like studying the symptoms of a disease and figuring out that these can have an adverse effect on your health, all the while completely ignoring the actual disease itself.

Silvery likes this.
  5. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Good point that

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.