1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Could you live alone?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Eze, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Here's a thing I wanted to ask. Could you people live your whole life without love?(Like love, not motherly, brotherly love)

2. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I'm going to assume that we're talking about emotional relationships here, NOT sex (that would be a separate topic). In a word, no.

Why? I like to talk. When I'm happy (which is most of the time, by my own choosing), I tend to bubble and I like to have someone around to bubble to. When I think I can help someone by sharing an opinion or my experience, I'm not shy to speak up. I like to make other people smile, maybe by telling a complete stranger how much I admire her clothes or jewelry. Sharing happiness is even better when you share with someone you genuinely care about.

For all that, I can still get down or angry at times, and that's when I need someone around who will drop everything and cheer my up. For example, I have terrible sinus problems and since the new year it's been one thing after another. Last night I really needed my husband to just give me a hug and help me realize that everything would get better, eventually.

Sex is fun but it's the emotional intimacy that make long-term relationships really worth pursuing. Took me 28 years to realize that.

3. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

There is no way -

Life is too complex to go through alone and gain full satisfaction from.

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Technically it's possible. Depends on the personality. I assume that if I can, people under similar circumstances can too. Depends of course what you consider love. Vis maior and quick, short crashes happen to just about anyone who's biologically normal.

Edit: satisfaction is a different matter...

[ January 15, 2003, 21:47: Message edited by: chevalier des Trois-Tours ]

5. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well the female sex seems to find me pretty repulsive at current. So I guess I don't have a choice... Maybe when i'm out of puberty...

6. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    When I was single I thought it would easily be possible for me to live alone. Now that I have a g/f I think different.

7. DarkGoddess Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I think that it's human nature to want to be with that special someone, someday. I mean, some people are able to deny themselves the most base feelings like love, and I don't see how they can do it without going insane. Also, like, there's a gene inside humans that wants to like have kids and whatnot, and how some people bypass it never fails to amaze me.

As for me though, no, I could never live alone, without love, without people, period. I grew up in a big family, in a house where there was always someone home to talk to and so on and so forth. I mean, there was plently of love around, and I'm just saying that even though it's family love, I still couldn't live by myself.

8. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] I'm like Ragusa, right now I could envision me being single for the rest of my life. I've had girl friends in the past but not currently. The fact is I want to be single now. How long that is remains to be seen. The main reason I want to be single now is I am graduating and don't want to be limited to where I can go, what I can do. There's one less person to think about when making improtant decisions. Plus I think it's good to live alone for a few years before living with someone else of the opposite sex.

9. scarampella Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

well, the question was whether one could live their whole life without romantice love.

There is always the story of Sisyphus and the rock...which would lend one to believe it is possible. Most humans are able to survive and live under incredibly challenging circumstances. I imagine one such as you have described would demand a person learn to love themselves. If anyone has seen that Tom Hanks movie shipwrecked or some such title- he is on an island alone for the whole movie. Anyhow, he begins talking to a head he carved out of a coconut. When people are in great need, doing something like this is quite healthy.

If we are capable of going a little nuts sometimes, we would be able to hold onto our sanity a little more! What an amazing juxtaposition of ideas!

10. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

To put short. No i don't think i could i could live without love. Personally, and seriously, I think i am a person that needs most forms of love in my life. When i say most, i mean it in the affectionate way and not through material gain. I want and feel that i need love from my family, friends and partner if i am to truely make it through this world fulfilled.

But in reference to your question. No. I need love.

11. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Ezellohar, I'm wondering what this post is all about. I wish you'd give a little information about it's conception.

You're going to miss out on a MASSIVE portion of life if you don't ever let yourself fall in love. No matter how screwed up you think people are, there is at least one person for you.

1) There's some innocent boy, who has no clue how the real world works, and you can mold and shape them properly.

2) There's someone else that has learned everything you have.

But, and this is just my own experience talking here, you have a better chance in certain areas, depending on exactly what you'd be looking for.

So, the only question here is, "If you were looking, Eze, just what would YOU be looking for?"

12. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return.
    I know how it was (yes, WAS) to love and be loved, and I want to get that feeling back. I COULD live without it, but I would be very unhappy.
    As long as you don't know who you love, it's easier to live without it. I can't imagine a worse thing then being love-sick.

13. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] Its a difficult question to answer for me as I know that I could but would I ever want to again? Possibly a little of the 'can't live without them, not able to play RPG's for 25 years if I shoot them' thing here ;) .
    I would say that a person could, but they couldn't avoid it no matter how hard they tried. No matter how many walls you build up, there's always someone who comes along and manages to get past them despite them. Thats been my experience anyway.

14. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Yes.

But then again, most people wouldn't call what I would have in that case "living".

15. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Do you recall some King (of England or France) a couple hundred years back who performed an experiment on babies to see if love has an effect on life?

I don't remember the details, nor do I have a referencing web page, but here's the gist of it:

He performed the test on newly born babies. He gave them food, warmth, clothing, toys - essentially all the basic needs to survive. The one thing that was NOT given was love - no hugging, no kissing, no snuggling. Once the babies were cleaned and fed and clothed, they were left alone. Guess what? Every single one of the babies died. (An experiment like this done today would be illegal of course.)

So since you asked if you can live without love for your "whole life"... ;) (sorry about picking your question to bits :) )

Okie, here's the opinion part. I'd say no. I think I will need more motivation in the future other than my own well-being or money. I'll need someone to invest my life into, someone to make happy other than myself.

16. Eze Gems: 24/31

ejsmith:The toppic is that could you live without love from some other person. For me, there's no point in looking for it. I am TOO different to be loved. I can't love anybody, because I can't even care. I don't love my family, like I should. Only person, that I care about is my best friend, who is slipping away from me. I haven't had any and I am pretty sure that I remain a lone soldier till death me takes.

If you think I am lying or spitting bollocks for my own fun, I am not. This was perfectly serious.

I was a selfish person, I am a selfish person and will be a selfish person until the time ends.

[ January 16, 2003, 17:29: Message edited by: Eze, the Slasher ]

17. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

love just hits you, trust me it does. You wont even realize it till your hooked. I'd say yes, since one can I think, live without love of another person. Though I'd prefer a life with love than one without.

Living in solitude however, would make one go mad.

18. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Eze, it's normal for human beings to be selfish to some degree. I know that I have a selfish and lazy streak that I have to combat regularly.

It's admirable that you know yourself so well and can admit to traits that many would find negative. Just please don't close yourself off to the possibility of change. You may well be right that you'll always be a "lone soldier," but don't be so focused on your alone-ness that you miss opportunities to break out of it.

I hope that didn't sound too Mom-ish. I *really* am taking you seriously.

19. Eze Gems: 24/31

I really don't think, that I have any opportunities to break out. I am selfish. REALLY selfish. And you didn't sound too Mom-ish.

20. Teensabre Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

No, I couldn't live alone. I need my parents and my brother. Plus, I would not be able to make my own way in the world, young as I am.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.