1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Creative Zen - video formats?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Disciple of The Watch, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I bought a 2GB Zen yesterday (yes, I know, there are bigger players out there, I was on a limited budget and this perticular model has a SD slot, so expandable memory galore).

I tried some videos in WMV format, and not all of them would play, and trying to play an AVI caused my Zen to freeze. For some obscure reason, my Zen also won't recognize an MPG video. AAC format audio isn't recognized either.

So Kit, my Creative expert. which video format would work flawlessly with the Zen? With video playback capabilities, I could cram some movies on my Zen for those hours of doing nothing at work.

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Errr.....

My wife has the Zen V...not me. I'm still using the Zen Micro, because it *still* hasn't died. :D I've got my plate full this weekend, but on Monday or Tuesday I might have a spare minute to mess around with codecs and converters. IIRC, the Mp3 player ships with software that can convert video to the proper formatt...but I haven't had to open her player's software in months, so I'm not sure.

That said, DVD43 is your friend... Look it up... :p :rolling:

3. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    My 8 GB Zen only accepts uncompressed AVI.

The video and sound quality are horrible.

4. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Indeed, I have a video converter bundled with the rest of the Zen bloatware. Damn, I miss my MuVo's Mediasource... that was no-nonsense.

Say, I don't suppose there's a version of Mediasource which supports Zen players...?

5. Kitrax

Media:
    Weeeeeeeeeee....

I was going to start a new thread, but this one will do. My 5GB Creative Zen Micro has been full for quite some time now, so whenever I want to put anything new on it, I'd have to delete some of the older stuff first.

Well, after reading an online guide on how to disassemble it, I figured I had nothing to lose at this point, so I followed the guide and removed the 1" Seagate Microdrive, and messed around with it for a bit, and then put everything back together. The battery was dead, but it powered up for a bit and seemed to work just fine. With that test out of the way, I just bought a 16GB CF card for about $40. Once it gets here, the *real* upgrade will begin! :D

$40 to increase the storage capacity by more than 3 times, and hopefully the battery will last longer since the CF card has no moving parts. :rolling:

6. Kitrax

Media:
    Yay...My old tank of an Mp3 player got a shot of life. I successfully upgraded the 5GB microdrive to a 16GB compact flash card. :D

The only hitch I ran in to, was that I had to upgrade the firmware on my player, which required me to roll back WPM 11 to WMP 10, and uninstall 2 other M$ programs before I could run the firmware updater. Once the player was fully functioning again, I found out that my old version of my Creative Zen Micro Media Explorer didn't support the new firmware, so after a 50MB download/install, I was good to go. I'm currently filling it up with music. :D

As always, once I got the microdrive out, I disassembled it to see just how small the platter really was...which, even though it was perfectly functional, totally ruined it as soon as I pulled the cover off. :bad: Even though CF cards are better, microdrives are still an engineering marvel to look at. :) :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.