1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

CRPGs set in Faerun

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Istari of Thay, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Istari of Thay Banned

Anybody cares to list ALL the RPG games who takes place in Faerun...

I know theese

BG
    BG Tales of the Sword Coast
    BG2
    BG2 Throne of Bhaal
    IWD
    IWD Heart of Winter
    IWD2
    PoR
    NWN
    NWN Shadows of the Undrentide

Are there any more?? :confused:

[ February 17, 2003, 11:19: Message edited by: Istari of Thay ]

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You have all recent ones, that is from Baldur's Gate on. There were a bunch of older ones before that too, but they were DOS games and no one would play them today except for nostalgia's sake.

Btw, the NWN expansion is Shadows of Undrentide.

3. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Interesting Tal.

Do you remember any names, or even, halfway remember the names?

I'd expect them to look like the Ultimas; 2d sprites on a map. But I'd still just like to take a look through one of the game databases.

4. Istari of Thay Banned

Okay,

Thanks Taluntain... :D

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Nah, Ultimas look way better. I'm talking about the Gold Box series of games. The first of those legendary titles was Pool of Radiance (the original). The rest are:

Curse of the Azure Bonds™
    Secret of the Silver Blades™
    Pools of Darkness™
    Gateway to the Savage Frontier™
    Treasures of the Savage Frontier™
    Hillsfar™
    Eye of the Beholder™
    Eye of the Beholder II™
    Eye of the Beholder III™
    Dungeon Hack™
    Menzoberranzan™
    Blood and Magic™

The look was of this style: http://www.cdmag.com/articles/020/192/shot3big.jpg. (Though it got better with the later titles on the list.)

You can still buy them through SP for 10 bucks (I think the pack on SP has all of them). http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/index.php#game_store - the last box on the list, next to PoR.

[ February 12, 2003, 19:42: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  6. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    lol with all the tm´s you sound like a Monkey Island game :D

The only one of the older games I´ve played is eye of the beholder on the SNESemu, its kinda weird playing

7. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I played Eye of the Beholder 1 on SNES as well many years ago.

They never released 2 or 3 that I recall... :(

I also remember a AD&D game about an Eternal Sun or something on either the SNES or Genesis.

8. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

@ Taluntain: You forgot the very first Pool of Radiance.

@ Aces: As far a I remember there was an 'Dark Sun' as well as an 'Spelljammer'-Game.

And one from 'Al-Quadim'.

9. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

That shot reminded me of Wasteland.

10. Taluntain

Media:
    Fabius, no, I didn't. You just didn't read my post with much attention.

11. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Anyone that knows where I can download Eye of the Beholder for an emulator. I have the real one but its broken. Wan'ts to play it.

12. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Yeah.

That screenshot looked like Dragon Warrior 1.

So, Tal. Would you say the stories are halfway decent? Or are they completely terrible?

I would seriously consider messing around with them a little, if they had decent stories. I for one like to read books, from time to time, that do not deal with rate reactions and linear equations.

13. Taluntain

Media:
    I only played a few of them, and so long ago I don't even remember what they were all about any more. But don't expect anything on such an epic scale as BG.

14. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

@ Tal: Sorry.

@ ejsmith: Considering the age of these games, the stories weren't that complex, compared to BG or BG2. They were rather linear and AFAIK you never had the choice of playing evil charakters.

The stories ranged from fairly simple (EoB series, typical dungeon crawlers like Dungeon Master) over very atmosperic (Champions of Krynn, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades) to outright ridicolous (Pools of Darkness, Dark Queen of Krynn). The latter comes from the very high charakter levels (I.e.,Each partymember with a dragonlance or destroying a god from within his body).

15. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Interesting. I might go look them up, and see if there's any walkthroughs or faqs or something.

Sounds like there might be some game value in there, but I may have to dual boot winme again. Which I've actually been considering.

16. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I think all Beholders can be get on www.the-underdogs.org (pc versions)

Don't play Eye of the Beholder 3, it sucks.

17. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Believe it or not, I have that Gold Box series that Tal listed... and played and beat every one of them!

Any one else out there who has done that?

18. enjan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I still play some of them for the sake of nostalgia, I've been playing Ultima I a lot lately and Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss, as well as alkabeth (which is about the oldest RPG I know of).

19. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

@ Tal: was Menzoberranzan any good? I love Dark Elves and almost bought it the other day. I've heard mixed things abut it.

20. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I have heard through the grape vine that Nintendo is either going to release or has already released a Game Boy Advance version of the original Eye of the Beholder.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.