1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

D&D movie

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Vile, Dec 9, 2000.

1. Vile Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] I just got back from the movie. I didn't have too high of expectations so I wasn't really let down. It was pretty good all in all, but they could have done much better. I really think that they deserve a lot of credit for all the effort put into it though. The magical effects were all really awesome and the fighting was pretty cool; but, they didn't portray dragons nearly as intelligent as they should have been. The acting could have used some work as well. (Mostly Profion) I don't want to say too much more so...

Anyway, tell me your opinion if you've seen it already.

[This message has been edited by Vile (edited December 09, 2000).]

2. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Er...when has it come out...and where has it come out?

3. Neverworlder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Just saw it, and...well...um, it was...er...okay? I guess? In a way. But also kind of, well, bad. That acting! Wow! Oof! Jeremy Irons (Profion) was acting enough for the entire cast! It was scream in rage at this, and shake his fist at that! And you knew he was really, really acting because his whole body would tremble in furious furies of fury, and his eyes would pop right out of his skill, beholder-like. "Grrrr! Destroy you! Destiny! Grrr! Hate!" And his Otter Pop Blue-lipped (what the hell was that?) henchman wasn't much better; he thoroughly chewed every line in a slow sneer, like eating evil taffy. Thora Birch was tree-like. And that mage girl was apparently mildly surprised and slightly puzzled for the entire movie (I think her eyebrows were simply frozen way up there). And boring to bad (but not Jeremoy-Irons-Bad) were the lead guy, Tuvok girl, and the dwarf. Oof! Some horrible performances! Even the bit players, like the mage girl's mentor (was kind of glad when Otter Pop Lips snapped his neck) or the elf healer, were bad in some way. It didn't help that the dialogue made Xena look like Hamlet.

But it wasn't all that bad. The fx were above average to good, and there were some exciting scenes and sequences. The skyful of battling dragons looked great (but beholders looked like chewed gum). It moved at a fairly nice pace (wherever it was going) and was coherent. The scenery and castle interiors were great, and its look authentic. Marlon Wayans singlehandedly saved the cast from utter hopelessness. And you have to credit the director for pursuing this for so many years and finally making it himself when no one else would (wasn't James Cameron interested in this film?). He deserves praise just for that. But he should just produce the next one, if you know what I mean. Produce, not direct. Oof!

And was it just me, or did I see the Creature Cantina and the Ewok Tree Village Luke-Is-My-Brother scene in there?

4. Vile Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Actually, yeah. I noticed pretty much everything that you just said and I have to agree, It did have pretty bad acting. (Profion just really sucked; and what the hell was up with the blue lipstick?) I just didn't want to be too harsh and dicourage other people from seeing it. I think that for people who are interested in D&D but don't know how to play, it would probably be an ok movie; but otherwise...

5. Vandalore Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Did you know the elf healer guy was one of the Docters in Doctor Who (like the fourth or the fifth)? I could be wrong, I didn't get a good look at him in the movie. I don't know, somebody told me after the movie was over. Anybody know for sure?

6. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Now, see, I thought it was really cool, if only to see something you really enjoy playing acted(though very poorly) out on the big screen. All the little D&D references made it interesting, and the spell effects totally reaked of awsomeness(WWF fan reference). But I would have liked to see some more spells shown. Also thought the thieves maze was nice, if way to short and straight forward to be called a maze. How about a puzzle. Not enough time spent in the dungeon either, and no monsters hardly at all. But it was interesting for what it was.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.