1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

DA2 Pre-order

Discussion in 'Dragon Age 2' started by Munchkin Blender, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

EA/Bioware just anounced that if you pre-order DA2 by January 2nd you get the SE edition for free. Rumor has it that Amazon, Gamestop, and other places will have DLC content if you pre-order through their website, etc... I plan to pre-order my copy around Christmas at Gamestop.

2. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

You get an NPC dlc, if you pre-order. Its alot like Shale, in the previous game.

3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I will pre-order as well. With Amazon.co.uk over Amazon.de (through SP, of course). Reason? Price.

Amazon.de -> € 46,90
    Amazon.co.uk -> £ 29,99 = € 36,30 with shipping, and I have guarantee I'll have the game in the original language, and probably even earlier.

It is cheaper to have the game flown in from overseas? Some sensible lunacy that is.

4. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Can't they just drive it through the chunnel?

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    They probably do.

6. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    It's the same over here. Buying a game from the shop next door (when there aren't riots of course) is more expensive. Besides by ordering it at least it means getting the English version and not some localized *****y version.

The thing that annoys me about the preorder stuff is that you HAVE TO preorder if you want to get the full game. I'm really annoyed by that day one DLC money making scheme. Given how mediocre the DLCs for DAO have been I think that EA and Bioware are just taking it too far (especially considering that we know almost nothing about the game right now).

I may just wait for DA2 Ultimate Edition instead and save my money for the Witcher 2 (after all if I can't play a Dwarf or a Grey Warden in DA2 I'd be better off playing a Witcher).

7. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Pre-ordered my copy over the weekend. :)

8. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I just pre-ordered the Bioware signature edition via the Sorcerer's Place shop. :)

Oddly, when I was checking out via Amazon and looking at the various shipping options, the 3 - 5 business day option was like $4. The 2 day option was like $10. And fastest option, release day delivery, was only $0.99?? Okay, twist my arm, I went with that one.

Am I missing something? Why would the fastest delivery option be the cheapest?

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Weird - must have been some special... thanks for using our shop!

10. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

If you pre order, you get a new companion for free. Like you did with Shale, in the previous game. In this game you get a human archer named Sebastian Vael. They revealed the fellow on the main site yesterday.

11. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yeah, I received an email today with the details. Apparently the signature edition as a "free upgrade" is only available until the 11th. Supposedly a $20 value, it includes the following in addition to the game itself:

•A download code for a bonus playable character and missions
    •Downloadable game soundtrack
    •Exclusive in-game digital armory featuring multiple weapons
    •Additional downloadable items

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yea, you'd know this if you kept your eyes on our news as well. :p

13. Marceror

Media:
    I do keep an eye on the news, but I needed to obtain a number of "unbiased" opinions, and learn everything possible about the topic before I could believe it, lest I be labeled "stupid".

Okay, no, really, I somehow managed to overlook that particular news entry. Sometimes I need to be clubbed over the head with, say, a flashy email with pretty pictures before I'll notice something.

;)

14. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You didn't have to preorder to get Shale for free; you just had to buy the game new, not used.

15. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Not going to. I am biased. I will wait for reviews first until I know if it is hack and slash or RPG.

Dragon Age was 3 months after release half price. So was Mass Effect 2.(I still have to finish this shooter)

16. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Possibly a sensible option Merlanni. Still, I pre-ordered mine today. Also unimpressed by them clearly cutting content that should be in the actual game and then offering it as an extra. However, Bioware have a decent track record with me, so I'd probably be picking the game up anyway. We'll see how it turns out in March.

17. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I got ME2 for $10 around the Holidays. DAO was still around $30 yet it was released earlier than ME2. That should tell you which type of RPG can hold its value for the longe run.

I can't wait to play DAII; I took the expected release date as a day off at work; yeah I'm excited for DAII.

*Edit - I may take 2 days off.

18. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    I won't preorder it. It's especially hard for me, because I own all Bioware games (hmm ok not the MDK ones :))
    and bought most from day one. But sometimes you have to stick to your principles.

John Ricitello, CEO of EA:
    "At the end of [2011], the digital business is bigger than the packaged goods business, full stop. No questions in my mind. Then, you know, I think that we’ll find ways to even sell our packaged goods content in chunks and in pieces and subscriptions and micro-transactions,[...]We have people who are giving us $5,000 in a month to play FIFA Ultimate Team. And it’s free. Dirty little secret"

No comment.

source:
    http://www.industrygamers.com/news/ea-ceo-digital-to-overtake-retail-this-year/

19. Marceror

Media:
    @hannibal

Well, it might hurt to read something like this, but remember, this guy's ultimate objective is to increase shareholder wealth. If EA's numbers are good, he is successful. If they are not, he is not. What we have here is a CEO talking about some of his strategies to make money. All CEOs talk this way, but not all do so openly. So I wouldn't get too worked up over the fact that the guy has a business strategy that appears sound and is likely to bring cash in the door. If he doesn't do that, then his company will suffer, and that means that even Bioware and its games will suffer.

And further, there's no reason to throw out the baby with the bath water. If you love Bioware games, have enjoyed all of them, and feel they are worth your hard earned dollars, then why deny yourself? You sound like a pretty die-hard Bioware fan, so chances are you'll end up getting that extra game content. If you purchase DA2 by tomorrow you will get that additional game content for no additional charge. So it is likely that the only person you're hurting by waiting is yourself.

And lastly, the argument that "this additional content should have been in the game to begin with" is losing ground rapidly. What we are seeing here, folks, is the new paradigm in PC game distribution. This market hasn't historically been the most profitable (compared to consoles, for example), so if publishers can't find a way to make it profitable, they either skimp on game content to lower production costs (which we're seeing plenty of that), or they find ways to bring in additional revenue by charging for ongoing content updates. The first approach, which seems common with D&D CRPGs these days, is liable to all but kill the PC gaming industry, because, let's face it, who wants to play sparse, sucky games? The second approach is a creative way to increase revenue and justify the additional costs required to create games that are high quality, immersive and loaded with content.

We had it good back in the days of Baldur's Gate, but "them days" are over. Games today are about the bottom line as much as they are about the games themselves. We either pay for quality, or we don't, and we get crap instead. I'd rather pay a little extra for quality, personally. I don't want my favored gaming platform to die.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  20. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I almost pulled the trigger today on the pre-order. What stopped me was the Amazon page that showed up after I added it to my "cart". On it was the "ultimate dragon age" collection which had origins, awakenings, and all of the downloadable content for $39.99. Well they can kiss my ass. I probably spent $80 on just origins and awakening and I only played the content that came with free codes with my purchase. I'm older and don't have the need to play the new shiny game. I can wait a year and get DA2 and everything else that comes out for it when it has an "ultimate" version.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.