1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dance

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by jacquelin, May 25, 2010.

1. jacquelin Banned

How can i start a dance team? I go to an awesome school, and i'm really into dance. My school has no dance team, but my headmaster says that he doesn't want to get one because he doesn't want us to have cliques and stuff. I feel like this isn't fair because they have teams for all sorts of sports except dance and everyone should have a chance to join a club that they like at school. Do you have any ideas about how i cant change my headmaster's mind and about where i can find people that will want to help?

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ummm ... wow ... you're asking a roleplaying forum about this?!?! More importantly, you're 21 and asking a group on the internet this???

3. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Oh, come now, T2, there have been weirder threads around. :p

jacquelin:
    As for the dance team question, you would first need to have enough interest for that activity in your school. You need interest quota for any project you want to start.

I assume you meant a dance competition team?
    I was a touch surprised that the headmaster used cliques as the main reason to deny it. Did you propose some specific dance types to the headmaster (folk dances of a specific nation only, or something) or made joining in any way restricted? Bad idea if so.

You say you are into dance? Do you train? If so, you can always try to persuade your school friends interested to join the club you are in outside school. If you are just interested and think dancing would be a neat thing to have in the school, you could always join a dance club in your neighbourhood/community/town and pursue your interests there.
    In either case, you need to know someone interested enough to teach dancing.

If you do get enough of students interested in joining the dance team, then things can either be:

1. Impossible

Learn the exact reason for the denial and if this is the headmaster's personal view or a school policy.

a) Your proposition has a serious flaw and headmaster's argument on cliques stand. In that case, you need to rethink the idea or abandon it.

b) If the school has no money/interest/facilities and they don't take input from the students' parliament or something it's likely not going to happen.
    Forget the school and pursue your interests in a different setting, if possible.

2. Possible

Have the interested students sign a petition, or write an official request and present it to people running the school (through the student representatives, for example). See how that goes.

Try to reach a good deal for both sides, if that fails.
    Don't go with a "We want to do dance!" kind of idea. Plan it out.
    Do as much as possible of the work about setting the section up yourself. Get friends to help you. Be serious about it.
    If money is the issue try to find someone willing to teach dancing for a reduced fee or for free. Propose a suitable term for it. Explain to them why a dance section would be of use to them.
    If you are objectively a good enough dancer (you've won competitions or something) ask them to let you run the section, but only if you are really, objectively that great at it (or know someone interested that is). That won't cost the school anything and there is always a spare room/hallway somewhere, and an open term.

See if a gym teacher might be interested in helping you in presenting the dance section idea to the headmaster. If your school is big on sports, another gym related section can't hurt.

Summary:
    1. You need interest from other students - the more, the better.

2. Your school needs to have facilities/resources to perform the training (or at least good will of the teachers - my highschool's dance section practiced in the school hallway)
    3. You need someone willing to teach dancing.
    If the school can't find anyone, try a dance club in your neighbourhood, your own dance coach, etc.

4. You need a clear idea (on which everyone applying and the teachers agree) of what dances are covered and what type of team you are forming. If you plan to compete, it is a different setting then basic waltz lessons.

For the record, I can't dance. :p
    (Hopefully I'll remedy that once my two left legs, poor music sense and lack of rhythm hit ballroom resonance.)

Last edited: May 25, 2010
    Morgoth likes this.
  4. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Thread necromancy... this was just too damned hilarious. BWHAHAHAHAHA!!!

5. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, so weird. Wonder what happend to Jacqueline in the end. Is she bopping away with her high-school dancers? :lol:

Disciple of The Watch likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.