1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

DB-Forge: Charisma or something else?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Extremist, Aug 25, 2001.

1. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Again I'm pissed with news.

Again there are significant people in game business talking at DB-Forge. http://www.db-forge.com/

What does DB-Forge have that SP don't? Yes, I saw that site, I saw their forums, I saw their style. And I think that they are a class lower than Sorcerer's Place.

But then again, I'm sure that game business employees don't come at SP because of only one particular reason:
    THEY WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO ANSWER OUR QUESTIONS!

They would have to keep silent or at least not to give a straight answer.

I mean, imagine you made a game and SP members press you with questions about bugs. That's it, Bioware and Black Isle's are afraid to come here.

Prove that I'm wrong. You can't.

2. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

:p Patience my friend. Mobygames AKA Bioware Corporation almost AKA Dave Gaider does have a feedback department with an e-mail account. I asked them if there is any chance that they would visit Sorcerer's place any day to answer questions just like Dave Gaider has visited "the Forge"

Here is their email. Go get them tiger. I hope You work as gentle as I did :p

feedback@mobygames.com

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited August 25, 2001).]

3. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Nobleman, they won't answer me. I don't run some show about their games.
    If mods or Tal would contact them, hmmmm, maybe they would find a minute or two for their customers addicted to this place...
    But I still doubt.

4. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

A nobleman knows his ways around the Corporates. I'll convince them, No flames no spams no evil radiation, pure persuasion.

So start typing those cunning questions of Yours. Be extreme.. :cool:

5. Extremist Gems: 31/31

6. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

I am a Molecular biologist. I feel as comfortable with the CLUA-Console as a not so bad looking nun, who is aware of her beauty, in a sailors-bar with pretty many sailors who know that she knows she is pretty.

Uhhhm. By the Way I see You had much succes with Your Questions here at SP. :) Nice to be amongst fellow wits aye? :p

Edited Here: One thing is certain. Your questions are extreme.

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited August 25, 2001).]

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Whoa, whoa Extremist. No one ever said that Bioware folks wouldn't want to answer questions from here, IF WE ASKED. However, we did not. I simply don't have time for stuff like that, it'd take a new member of the SP crew to coordinate interviews with them, ask questions, etc. As you can plainly see, DB-Forge has a lot of interviews and stuff like that, but little or no content. It's exactly the opposite with SP. I'm sure I could easily get some Bioware folks to answer any questions any of you might come up with, but as I said, I have too many other aspects of the site to take care of. I'd only do stuff like that when I was bored out of my skull and/or couldn't find anything else to do around here. Chances of that happening, however, are very slim.

8. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

An uncoordinated and unpersonal but easy way would be to Have someone from Bioware Corporation invited to the Forum. Post a Thread saying "Hi I am John Doe from Bioware" Do You have any questions. and moving on from there

A second would be to have someone collecting questions on email and send the best ones to "John Doe". Then John Doe would respond and send the answer back.

With the 2000 members of SP we are a very good source of inspiration to future product-release. They must be interested in a free market-analasys. But I fully understand the waste of time TAL mentions. I for one won't put in that much effeort as it obviously seems to take.

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Nobleman, that wouldn't work. Bioware has their hands full responding on the official forums, let alone any others. Sending them questions is the only way to do it.

10. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] Well that's the real trick. We are unofficial. If We want to complain or suggest we can easily go through an official site. But we don't. We wouldn't miss one moment away from this wonderfull place.

Still I feel that even if the Bioware Corporation has its hands full, they pick up the wrong things to carry around. Had I been from Bioware I would certainly look for an active debate with any Baldurs Gate forums, official or not. Especially one of the larger in the world.

They should be asking us. Not us asking them.
    I guess its our lot in life. Ignorance is a virtue.

11. Extremist Gems: 31/31

You see Tal, Troika Games (Arcanum) has ppl that go to answer questions on different UNOFFICIAL boards.

What's so important with Bioware that they won't bother with us?

This is retorical question, of course.

12. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Troika has but a very small audience compared to the Baldur's Gate games. Bioware has at least 100 times more fansites than Arcanum ever will. Not that I'm dissing the game, just stating the facts. And the fact is, there are some fan forums even larger than those we have (because anything goes there and there are no rules). The problem is, they're full of idiots. So once you see two or three boards like those (who think that having 70.000 stupid posts in one forum means that they're better than another site that has fewer but meaningful ones), you think all fansites are like that. I guess that's how Bioware thinks. And I can't really blame them. Over these last few years I've seen at least a dozen fan forums for the games we cover, and maybe one or two came close to what my vision of a good forum is. The rest are a playground for idiots, munchkins and flamers whose only joy in life is posting nonsense in every topic available.

But I suppose you can't really blame people for that. It's the mods & admins there that don't care what goes on their boards. If SP operated in that way, we'd probably have 10.000 members by now. But as it is, many see that they can't show off their lameness here and rather leave and go show off their l33tness at some other forums where moderating is unheard of.

P.S. These other lame forums I'm talking about don't include DB-Forge. If anything, that site is one whose owners I respect. In the past, we've been through a lot together.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited August 26, 2001).]

13. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I dont know if its relevent but Dan Magaha an employee of firaxis games that are working on Civ III is regularly on different unofficial forums and answers questions and i must say that Civ III has an even bigger audience then the BG games so if Bioware wanted they could send some folk too look. It isnt unheard of, even to the big games.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.