1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

DC's and Second Edition

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Tesserus, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Tesserus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I have searched and search through all the 2nd edition rulebooks and couldn't find any rule that remotely comes close to the DC system in 3rd edition.

Say a character wants to jump and roll out of a tree. A very high tree. A dm puts a DC of say... 14 on this task. The guy jumps and uses his acrobatics bonus (dex if you dont have any acro skill). It all works good andw ell in 3rd edition. How woudl this be done in second edition?

(I am just curious, we used to play 2nd and couldn't find any true solutions to these problems so the DM had to improvise)

2. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, there is your answer. 2nd edition D&D didn't have any set way to resolve these types of situations. The DM had to improvise. This was one area that they addressed in 3rd Edition. 2nd edition did have skills and such but it was added in an ad hoc manner, and the rules were never very clear on how to implement them.

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited July 25, 2002).]

3. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] 2E did have non-weapons proficiencies but they did work as well as skills do in 3E. You couldn't increase these abilities without increasing your stats. Thus a 1st level character with a 15 wisdom would have the same healing nwp as a 15th level character. These nwp were gain based on your class and modified at 1st level only by your INT score. So the DM would set the check by asking 'To heal that injury your need to make a healing -2" or something like that. Thus if you had a 15 WIS you have to role under a 11 (healing = WIS -2). The greater the dificulty of the task the larger the '-' applied. You wanted to roll as low as possible.

As stated above the 3E skill system is so much better.

4. Void Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Yeesh! Just reading those rules makes my head hurt :mad: :mad: :mad: ...

Can someone tell me exactly how saving throws were calculated in 2E?

5. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Saving throws for 2nd Edition were listed for each class in tables rather than calculated. There probably was an actual calculation used to determine them (none was ever given in the rules though) but it's nothing simple like in 3rd Edition. And the lower the save score the better. Roll a d20, if it's less than (or equal to) the score the save is successful. Higher and the save fails.

6. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] And if that is not bad enough each class had a different progression, i.e. fighters went up a little every other level while mages only increased every 5 levels. Stats did not effect saves as they do in 3E and instead of the three simple save catagories we have now there were 5; Poison, Polymorph & Paraisys, Rod/Staff/Wand, Death Magic, Spells. (I think that's right but I'd have to check to be sure.)

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Somehow I would prefer to improvise in some things. Or just simply make a dex check and add a penalty of plus if they had a NWP that says that they are good at that sort of thing.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.