1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Deaths.

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Svyatoslav, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

In the beggining of the game, while I still can not cast or buy a ressurrect spell, do I have to load everytime a character dies, or is there another way - except for deleting the character to get other?

2. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

You can pick up all the dead guy's equipment, trudge all the way back to town and get the spell cast for you at a temple. I just reload, though.

3. Spliff Krieger Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Load it. You don't want to go through all the trouble, just to find out it might not even work...!

4. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Load it. You don't want to go through all the trouble, just to find out it might not even work...!

I agree, but how come it might not work?

5. Shayleigh Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

First of all, it might be too expensive. ;)This can be solved by cheating, but that's not for everyone. :p

Elves cannot be raised with a Raise Dead spell, they need Resurrect, and I don't know if the Easthaven priest has that spell.

Also, I think there's some variability with humans, that there's a percentage chance of them being lost forever once dead. (You would have to pay for the spell in order to find out, if I remember right.) I need to RTFM again. :D

6. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I beleive that the percentage for failure is based on the characters Con. There should be a table in the manual.

7. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

According to pure pen&paper that rule is for all races, not only humans, BUT I don't think it is implemented in the game, like most rules of 2E. The only ways a character lost forever: Disintegrate, Finger of Death,(not so in BG2) Destruction (HoF only), and massive damage. Petrfyed NPCs were forever dead in BG2 after smashed, but not so in IWD, infact the statues are smashed normally, with no major drawback? :shame:

[ October 01, 2005, 12:22: Message edited by: Silverstar ]

8. Von'Meyer Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Also, if a character gets "chunked", the animation where pieces go flighting, then they cannot be raised.

Humans can be raised x number of times, I believe, but they lose 1 point to Con. each time. With a Con. score of 1, I believe it is impossible.

So, do yourself a favor and quick save (Q key) before and immidiately after all fights!

9. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

That decrease in Con is not implemented. So you can Raise Dead and Ressurect so long as you have GP or spells.

So long as your char's potrait is still visible you can ressurect them. One of my chars was poisoned and by the time I managed to get them across maps and to the temple, she was at -10HP. But since the potrait was still up, I was able to ressurect her.

10. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

"Petrifyed NPCs were forever dead in BG2 after smashed, but not so in BG2"

What?

The way it works in BG2 is that a petrified character is removed from the party, but once you use Stone To Flesh you can get them back so long as the statue hasn't been smashed.

Overall, in all these type of games, and this is important: so long as the portrait stays, the character CAN be raised.

11. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Sorry, I typed wrong, I meant:

''Petrified NPCs were forever dead in BG2 after smashed, but not so in IWD'' I edited my post too OK? :D

I mean, when a PC is petrified in IWD, his statue shatters, and you can still cast Stone to Flesh on the portrait. This makes the spell less dangerous to me. This is because one can not die permanently because of this.

Ofcourse, the reason behind this is the fact that IWD does not have dialogues or command lines for removing or adding party members.

12. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

You're forgiven. Go well, my child. Heh...

Also, petrification, disintegrate and even freezing solid should destroy some if not all of your equipment (in BGII it does), but this isn't implemented in IWD either. So no worries, unless the portrait disappears. Reloading is more convenient though.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.