1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Decided to play through PS:T again, and something strange occured..

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Maylander, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Maylander Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hello folks!

This is my first topic here, long time reader, first time poster (yadi, etc). I've been playing RPGs for a very long time, the top list consisting of games like PS:T, BG1-2, MM6-8 sprinkled with some modern ones like the Gothic series.

Anyhow, on to the matter at hand.

I decided to replay PS:T recently, and had a great time doing so. Completed one run through the game with a mage focusing on INT/WS/CHA, which is how I feel I experience the most in PS:T.

I then decided to make a different game, focusing fully on combat skills, backed up only by Ignus and Fall-From-Grace to buff up, so I could see what a maximized 25-25-25 fighter can dish out if fully buffed.

So far, so good. You get far less XP since so many things are for WIS only characters, but fighting itself is relatively easy. However, about halfway through the game in the Modrom maze, I experienced a very odd problem.

My problem is this: My character can't hit anyone unless his hit is also a critical hit. Sounds odd doesn't it? Allow me elaborate, The Nameless One(TNO) will swing his weapon like mad at an enemy for about 30 seconds without hitting a single time, then suddenly he smacks the enemy dead with a massive critical. What happens if the enemy can take more than one critical? That's right, he keeps on swinging, hitting nothing but air for the next 30 seconds, untill the next critical strike. Sometimes I get lucky and get two critical strikes in a row, but this is very rare.

I have read of a few people with similar problems in the past, and they've claimed that buffing might have something to do with it, but I have yet to hear of a solution. Buffs might very well be the trigger, as I constantly buff him with pretty much everything Fall-From-Grace and Ignus has. As I don't have anyone else in the party, it's quite a bit of a problem that he can't deal real damage - I have to sit around and wait for him to get a critical strike.

As an example, the fight against Ravel lasted about 5 minutes because she kept using vampiric touch, and he only managed to strike back about three times per minute.

So, does anyone have any idea on how to solve this situation? TNO stopped hitting people with regular hits back in Modrons maze before leaving Sigil, and he still refuses to hit anything even halfway through Curst.

Oh, and hello. :)

2. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Probably has to do with you ThAC0 being too low. If the foe has too good AC, your low ThAC0 due low levels won't be enough. Critical hit always hits, no matter how low your ThaC0 is. And buffs raise it too.
    That would be the logical reason. If it's not it, I'm not sure.

3. Maylander Gems: 1/31

TNOs unbuffed fighting stats are:
    20 Strength
    20 Dexterity
    22 Constitution
    11 THAC0
    2 Attacks per round
    144 Hitpoints
    Axe: ****
    Wielding Enchanted Axe, going for Heartgrinder soon.

And he has not hit a single enemy in several hours, regardless of whether it was Ravel, the trees she summons, the shadows afterwards or anything else I've encountered. He has only had critical strikes since Modrons maze (the evil wizard fight).

It must be some bug or technical issue, but I'm clueless as to what.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Do you have the official patch installed? That is, unless you have the 2CD version.

5. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31

I see. Obviously it isn't ThAC0, then. The Patch, as Taluntain already said, could be the solution.

6. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

Try turning on the "To Hit Rolls." If it then appears that whenever your character swings his weapon, he gets some spectacular penalty (-90-something or so), I've experienced this same problem even when fully patched.

I think the problem has something to do with fatigue, since fatigue-reducing items temporarily make it go away, but strangely enough these penalties can show up out of the blue when the character isn't complaining about fatigue - which they rarely do, anyway. I think Torment handles fatigue in some screwed up way, to begin with.

A more lasting way to lose the penalty is to let TNO die. When he's resurrected, he should be fine. This also works if the problem occurs with other party members.

As to actually fixing this (apparent) bug, I've no idea.

7. raptor Gems: 16/31

Curious what level he is ? Back in unpatched version at least, leveling up to level 20 (aka form level 19 to level 20) made you revert to thac0 20 again, meaning you hit just as well as a level 1 fighter with no extra attacks. If that is the case, go back to level 19 and just continue from there without leveling up, you're already good enough anyways :)

Annother note, looking at your character. I've ran something similar once, but I would recomend focusing on Strength/Constitution and Wisdom instead of dexterity (You really don't need it for anything really).

I started with Str18, Wis18, and whatever was left in Con (13?), upgraded wis and con to max as soon as possible (25 that is), got the free +1 strength at level 7 (fighter spes). I never bothered taking any other characters on team with me, he hacked everything to pieces alone. He took on greater glabrezu alone, and the glabrezu was unable to kill him even if I didn't even bother to attack back. Once you got the stats where you nees them /str 19, con and wis 25) focus on regenerative tatoos etc.

You will have a very boring, and overlly easy game, but I doubt there will be any more powerfull way :-/ (Needless to say, I'll never ever do that again! was way to boring).

8. Maylander Gems: 1/31

He's currently level 11, and I'm playing the 2 CD version.

Susipaisti might be right, I haven't rested in a very long time, nor have I died. I will try to rest/die later today and see if that fixes anything.

Thanks for the replies.

Edit: I know it will be relatively easy; that's the point - my goal was to figure out how powerful TNO can become as a fully buffed 25/25/25 fighter.

I usually play a mage with focus on WIS/INT/CHA, but I've tried that quite a few times by now. I suspect the "best" way to handle a warrior is to give him a relatively high WIS (no need to go all out, just enough to pass most conversations), but still high fighting stats.

Still, for this run I wanted to see what kind of damage he can dish out, he's already beating Vhailor by quite a bit (well, he used to, when he was actually hitting).

9. raptor Gems: 16/31

Heh, Dexterity doesn't give you anything in combat save armor bonuses, and to be honest you really don't need them. Fighter have trouble getting high armor anyways, so will be hit just as much.

wisdom on the other hand gives you experience points bonuses. A wisdom of 25 gives you +35% to ALL XP earned. It is the single best stat in the game period.

With a very high constitution you don't really care about getting hit or not anyways, at con 21 you have so much extra hitpoints and regen fast enough to be ready for next fight anyways. At 25 with a couple of regeneration boosting tatoos most enemies can't hurt you.

This game is WAY to simple in combat :(

(Curentlly playing IWD1 with recreated PST team to get a more chellenge for them, very fun, but definitivelly not the same thing.)

10. Maylander Gems: 1/31

Aye, I just completed the game. Had a maximum of -10 AC near the end (highest possible), and around 260 hitpoints with a constant 2hp per tick regeneration, roughly 2-3 ticks per second. It was redicilous, the greater shadows going down in 2-3 swings, always regenerating faster than anyone hurt him. The only real problem near the end was the demon in ruined Curst, the one fromt the box worth 500.000 xp. Had to do a little running around on that one, the regeneration alone wasn't enough to deal with his damage.

Oh well, I found out that resting solves the problem with hitting. Might actually be fatigue, what an odd way to deal with it. In other D&D games you always know if you're fatigued so you can rest, in PS:T the NPCs say it from time to time, but not always.

Recreated Dak'kon, Fall-From-Grace and so on? Would be nice to have them in other Infinity Engine games (recreated properly, with the real skins and so on) - Dak'kon especially is one of my fav. companions of any game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.